Barking

Cicada

Barking

Post by Cicada » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:47 am

It seems my 2 year old GSP is enjoying barking at people more and more it varies in intensity but he can get pretty loud when a complete stranger shows up. It really gets bad when he is surprised when we are on the river and someone comes out of the bush. Most times I can settle him down by calling him back but other times it just gets stronger.

All my dogs bark to some degree but not as intense. What should I do anything or will he grow out of it as he matures?

All pointers welcome

Grant

setterpoint

Re: Barking

Post by setterpoint » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:24 am

dogs are like people some times people talk more than others its just there nature you can controll it to a point there are bark collars but the dog cant wear it all the time and they catch on to it fast they know when its not on them i was told just dont pay any att. to the dog but that didnt work at all so i started telling the dog no and would tap the dog with a towel or somthing and say no that for me had the most affect this did help some but she would bark more than the other dogs but it got to the point where i could yell at her to stop and most times she would but still have to use the towel now and then

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:51 pm

Trying having a terrier . They bark at anything that moves. E collar works great in the car on the way to.... Anti bark collar works great in the backyard to keep the neighbors happy. In the hous ehe can go at it - well, he's got to bark sometime. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:25 pm

Bark collar. End of story.
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:35 pm

CDN_Cocker wrote:Bark collar. End of story.

+1...Probable so! Imported my first Springer in 1983 owned over 30 since some kennel dogs some house dogs I do not remember what one them even sounds like. Just never barked.
I'm 100% in favor of LGBT - Liberty, Guns, Bacon and Trump.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:48 pm

gundogguy wrote:Imported my first Springer in 1983 owned over 30 since some kennel dogs some house dogs I do not remember what one them even sounds like. Just never barked.
LOL sounds like my cocker. Never makes a peep. Dachshund however... barks at everything in the universe.... she wears a bark collar.
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

Cicada

Post by Cicada » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:46 pm

In the house I could not agree more but the house it is not much of a problem as I can grab him quickly and he obeys promptly.

The bigger problem is in the yard and the really big problem is on the river or in the bush. The other factor is we have lots of bears so having a dog that can bark a bear up a tree is a real bonus.

Without side tracking the issue have you had any problems with ecollar and bark collars causing confusion? At this time I have not needed to use an ecollar on him but that may change as we go through the terrible twos.

Grant

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:12 pm

No problem . Actually they work together.
My terrier is used to the e collar, so when I put on the anti bark collar I don't even need to put a battery in it anymore.
No need to nick him in the car for barking at everyone anymore either; as soon as the e collar goes on , he knows that = no more barking. The Tim Horton's folk are happy. :)
The locator feature on my collar is useful when he decides to keep up with the setter.
Now I don't need the e collar for any other purpose for him, but no reason you couldn't use it for other purposes imo.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:28 am

Cicada wrote: Without side tracking the issue have you had any problems with ecollar and bark collars causing confusion?
Nope. Sharon said it well.
Cass

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:27 pm

There was a time when I would have probably agreed with this but each dog is different and on some dogs, a bark collar is not necessarily the end of the story :wink

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way