Training time line

AzCountryman

Training time line

Post by AzCountryman » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:18 am

Hello.
My name is Doug from Az.
Will be getting a Labrador here in the next month or so and would like to train her to retrieve. Not looking for an amazing show dog just a camping/hunting buddy. My main question for now is what is a good time line for the dogs training? I was reading about starting them off with basic commands...What commands do you guys teach?
Believe the guy I m getting them from was going to include the training DVD they use for there dogs but not totally sure if that will happen.

Thanks

mnaj_springer

Re: Training time line

Post by mnaj_springer » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:55 pm

Find a retriever program you like and stick with it. Google is your friend. Every dog is different so it takes as long as it takes.

But the first things you'll focus on are potty training and socialization.
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:02 pm

Manners from the day you bring your pup home.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:10 pm

I am not a retriever guy but I would imagine the first year of his life should be fun with minimal pressure. Socialization, kenneling, sit, stay and come would be my thoughts. Keep training sessions short..15 minutes or so. Let him run in the field with minimal vocalizations. Get him hot and get him in water, go in with him if need be. Play fetch and I mean play. Stop before he gets tired of it. Make him come back excited wanting more.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:49 pm

There are some very good retriever dvd's on the market. Fowl Dawgs is one, Evan Grahams smart fetch series is another. Get the dvd's now and study them so you'll know what to with the dog when you get it. Don't wait until you get the dog.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Az Draht

Post by Az Draht » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:54 am

The Evan Graham dvd that Gonehuntin" referenced is SmartWork not Smartfetch. Smartfetch is just the force fetch dvd not the training course for puppy on up. Smartwork System Basics would be most appropriate.

Also, Copper State Hunting Retreiver Club is a good club. I would recommend looking at joining them. It will be way easier to train when you have access to equipement and experienced people.

http://www.copperstatehrc.org/

AzCountryman

Post by AzCountryman » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:06 am

gonehuntin' wrote:There are some very good retriever dvd's on the market. Fowl Dawgs is one, Evan Grahams smart fetch series is another. Get the dvd's now and study them so you'll know what to with the dog when you get it. Don't wait until you get the dog.
Yeah that's why I jumped on here hoping for a little heads up on what to expect.

whoadog

Post by whoadog » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:52 am

I always cringe when I see a post asking for timelines. Every dog is different and my own personal opinion is that we are constantly training our dogs, whether we know it or not, from the time we bring them home and some one else is training them before that. The dvds are good suggestions. Being able to read your dog and know when it is time to proceed or back off takes experience. I would add, "find a mentor if you can". There are lots of good clubs out there willing to help you as well.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:01 pm

Many folk are goal- oriented ; I'm one and maybe you are one AZ. When I got my first GSP I read the literature and made a plan. Week1 , week 2, week 3........
and a Championship by the end of year 1. LOL

Folks like us have to learn that a dog is not a robot; sure you need a plan ,but it has to be flexible and the dog has to lead. ... something only learned with experience.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:20 pm

This time line discussion came up several years ago and their was a group on the thread that believed time should not be a factor except to establish the frequency of training each day. I was one of that group. The sequence / order of training needs to be established and the ability to understand when the next step needs to be taken. As a wise old trainer once said "it takes as long as it takes".

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:54 pm

I think needing a timeline comes from the insecurity of not knowing what to expect. I've noticed this while force breaking my pointer. I tried to remember the other day when I started... I couldn't. Then I moved on because it didn't really matter. It matters more where the dog is at in her understanding of the training.
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:00 pm

mnaj_springer wrote:I think needing a timeline comes from the insecurity of not knowing what to expect. I've noticed this while force breaking my pointer. I tried to remember the other day when I started... I couldn't. Then I moved on because it didn't really matter. It matters more where the dog is at in her understanding of the training.
Exactly! And that is where experience comes in. It is when " art and science" collide. LOL.

AzCountryman

Post by AzCountryman » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:16 am

Sharon wrote:Many folk are goal- oriented ; I'm one and maybe you are one AZ. When I got my first GSP I read the literature and made a plan. Week1 , week 2, week 3........
and a Championship by the end of year 1. LOL

Folks like us have to learn that a dog is not a robot; sure you need a plan ,but it has to be flexible and the dog has to lead. ... something only learned with experience.
Lol no that's not me. I m just more wondering what should be taught first...second and so on.

Wa Chukar Hunter

Post by Wa Chukar Hunter » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:08 am

Sit, heeling, come/here commands for the more formal stuff, short sessions every day or other day. starting from day you bring them home.

Get a little retriever dummy and throw it - have a long check cord (Gun Dog Suppy sells a biothane type I like) get them retrieving crazy - and have a blast - intro to water with waders and when the water warms up enough to be pleasant (April-May here in TX)

Just break it down and make it fun and eventually as the dog matures and shows understanding increase pressure.

Lucy - about 8 wks old

Gunny at 14 wks old retrieving his first duck (wood duck) on the little creek that flows through the farm

"I swear a woman's breast is the hardest rock, the Almighty ever created, and I can find no sign on it." Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:43 am

Hi I am a 'retriever' guy. I have owned field bred retrievers for over 25 years now. I work with pro's and do a lot of my own training. I run all my dogs in hunt tests and hunt waterfowl and upland birds...great fun we have!

No such thing as a timeline, to have a completely field train retriever it can take as short as 1 year out to 18 months maybe even more depending on how good the trainer is!

Evan Grahm's puppy DVD will get you off to a good start, already noted above. I also suggest you find a local beginning dog obedience class that you start you dog out in. It will get the basic training commands started and more importantly get the trainer - dog relationship started between you and your dog! These are easy to find, but do not go to a pet store for it, find a class offered by folks who do it for a living. They are not expensive, usually meet at night 2-3 times a week for maybe 6 weeks. Their you will teach your dog to sit (stay), down (stay), heel,'here' (recall), give, drop it and others....they are fun and best done with others. Check with your local retriever clubs or on line to find classes in your area. I would avoid 'clicker' training, it does work, but who wants to take a clicker with you all the time and if you are out in the woods your dog will not hear the clicker. You should start this with your pup as soon as he has had all his shots allowing him to be around other dogs with no risk of infections. Usually this is at 12 weeks of age.

From there on you need to follow a program...those noted above are good ones. Just take the time to learn and follow the program....if you do you will have one of the best dogs you have ever imagined.

Good Luck :mrgreen: