Puppy program

Sako0988

Puppy program

Post by Sako0988 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:44 pm

I have a FNG question and probably has been covered,but I'm going to ask anyways.

My question is I have a soon to be 5 month old GSP that's catching on to things rather quickly and I wasn't going to send him off to formal training until he's about 8 months of age and I came across this trainer/breeder in the area that's really good from what I've seen and been told....well he has a 1 month puppy program that gives the dogs a lot of exposure to birds(which I can not do),response conditioning to basic command and intro to the gun as well as some other things. I'm torn that 1)I'm holding my pup back 2) just let him be a pup for a few more months 3)is $$$ he's asking worth it. Has anyone done something similar with their dog? Was it worth it? Any input would help.

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Puppy program

Post by shags » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:05 am

No way to know if the cost is worth it without knowing anything about the guy's program or results. That's something you'll have to think about for yourself, sorry. I've heard great things about some puppy programs, and also some "ho-hum" opinions. It just depends on the program, the trainer, and what you expeect from them. I sent one young dog and regretted it for the rest of the dog's life, and sent others to a different guy and it worked out fine.

Basic commands can be done at home at no cost except a few minutes time per day. Gun training isn't all that important for a young pup. IME it can be done at any time without setting the dog back.

Exposure to birds is great, but what's three more months?

How's the weather up there? When there are frigid temps and lots of snow, sometimes training comes to a standstill anyway. If you're having a temperate winter, your trainer will be able to get more done.

You can start your pup now, or start him a little later. IMO waiting three more months won't make any difference. Your pup will be going through the same beginner stuff either way, now or later.

A plus of sending the pup would be if he is high energy, and you're not able to exercise the energy out daily, being with the trainer would take that burden from you. A minus to kennel life, depending where the dog is mentally, is it can set back housebreaking and introduce habits like lots of barking.

Maybe the best of both worlds is that you can keep the pup home and do your basic commands and house manners yourself, and since the trainer is local, take your pup there and work with the guy on a day basis occasionally.

Good luck to you. I wouldn't worry much about ruining your pup either way ( as long as you know the trainer, his methods, and know his results).

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:59 am

Why cant you give exposure to birds. Build a small loft and get some homers. Cant do that?? Buy some junk birds as needed ( see Craigs list) Put a bird down with a 6x6 cardboard tied with 12 inch string and let the dog run it down. There is your puppy bird exposure done. Find someone with homers nearby. See if you can borrow some for training purposes. You will not be hurting these pigeons. 4 birds per session will be plenty. Get a foot operated release cage. Have wife/ friend work with you to release the bird after point while you work the dog on a check cord. Do ground work and whoa training in your yard first. I would use the Smith method for yard work and perfect start perfect finish for bird work. I work with a local trainer on a daily basis but did most of my own training.

jczv

Post by jczv » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:05 am

Me personally at that age I'd rather the dog be bonding with me then with a trainer. If its a big running high drive dog even more so. If it's not then I'd rather baby it along for awhile. Also although I like bird exposure young it doesn't need to be every day. To me the only reason to put a dog a trainer this young is if his life is going to be on a field trial string. Does the guy have a weekend or evening program so you could go once a week and be involved with the training?

In about a month you'll have 6 weeks of woodcock as they come through until nesting season starts. Any swampy area with brushy edges should do (if your having trouble I can shoot you some spots west of you). Then you're already close to your 8 month old program.

birddognut

Post by birddognut » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:10 am

Where are you in S.E. Wisconsin? Our NAVHDA chapter is having a training on the 20th of February. You are welcome to come and join us. A lot of great people with quite a bit of knowledge.
Mike

Sako0988

Post by Sako0988 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:58 am

Thanks for the replying.I think I will be take a little advice from everyone.