Table modification question

Munster

Table modification question

Post by Munster » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:13 am

I have a FF table with the cable that runs on top. I want to make it so that I can adjust tension on the line connected to the dog. I have a bum back and a bum left arm. I use my left arm to hold the dog while I have them drive towards the bumper. I just dont have the arm strength anymore to hold back a strong young dog. How can i make this happen?
Thanks
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Re: Table modification question

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:33 pm

I'm not sure I understand the question the way it's explained but here are two solutions.

On the cable that drops to the dog, run a turnbuckle on it to adjust tension.

If your problem is holding the dog back or driving him forward, put a pulley with a line to the dog on either or both ends. Old trainers have used ropes and pulleys for years. If you posted a picture of your problem it would be easier to understand.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Munster

Post by Munster » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:35 pm

You are pretty close to understanding. So the dog is attached to the cable that runs above the table. How do you make the trolley so you can tighten it up on the cable to create tension so the dog has to pull harder to get the object. PUlly might work though.........Thanks

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:07 pm

I don't know how your cable to the dog is attached to the overhead cable, but I wonder if a bicycle type caliper brake might not do the job for you. If you could mount the brake so that it slides along with the cable attached to the dog , you could stop the travel with the squeeze of a handle. Plastic coated cable would probably work better(slide and brake easier) than bare wire cable.

If you could find a wrecked bike, you could probably salvage at least one brake unit.

RayG

Munster

Post by Munster » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:16 pm

Good idea Ray. Only problem is that I need both hands. One on the ear and the other the bumper. My chain is attached to the cable with a wheel thingy. SOrry, not very technical. Maybe I need to just suck it up and deal with it. LOL

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:35 pm

Munster wrote:Good idea Ray. Only problem is that I need both hands. One on the ear and the other the bumper. My chain is attached to the cable with a wheel thingy. SOrry, not very technical. Maybe I need to just suck it up and deal with it. LOL
There is always a longer brake cable and a foot pedal. I saw a bunch of trolley type setups that might work, including some zipline accessories, but those are kinda pricey.

RayG

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:14 pm

No need for ropes or pulleys. Right hand under the collar and the ear over the buckle or brass name tag. Bumper in the left hand. Hold the dog back with the right hand while pinching the ear with the thumb against the buckle or tag.

If you have transitioned to the e-collar (which should have already been done) it would be a lot easier. Hold the dog with the right hand (no need to ear pinch). With the left hand, hold the pvc buck in front of the dog (extended on the antenna), apply appropriate e-collar stimulation to move the dog forward. Once the dog has the successfully received the buck withdraw the e-collar. If you have physical limitations the e-collar can be your best friend.
Capture2.jpg
cr
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:17 pm

I think I'm understanding better now. Use the pulleys and for now, just hook up the rear one. Run the rope under your foot so you can control tension on it. You could also have a second person help you. This is a very temporary problem. Once you have the dog picking up off the ground and on the ground, you will have two hands to work the dog.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.