Do recall pens for quail really work

RockyDD

Do recall pens for quail really work

Post by RockyDD » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:32 am

I have a new pup to train this year and am considering my first recall pen for quail. I saw some plans for one that divides the pen in two sections so one side can be opened to let the birds out while the other keeps birds in the pen to recall them. That seemed to be a good design, if it works.

If you put a dozen in each side and let one side out each day, will there be any birds still coming back after a week? I know some will be taken by predators but will the rest all come back or will they strike out on there own? I live in an area that has cover and fields and a lot of room for them to disappear in.

Also, can the birds be flight trained before they are used with the dogs? Should I let them out every day for a week or two to get good flyers or will I just end up with no birds.

Any suggestions on how to make this work would be appreciated.

rinker

Re: Do recall pens for quail really work

Post by rinker » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:06 am

Yes, it absolutely works. Google 'johnny house', and you should see a lot of designs. I find this works best when you start with young quail, somewhere between 8 and 12 weeks. Leave them in the pen for a week or ten days. Then start letting a few birds out each day for a week or ten days. Then start letting several out, for a few days. Then start working your dog.

Over the years I have had a batch or two of quail that didn't recall well, but this was rare. Predators can be an issue. Small predators like weasels can get through your funnel. For this reason, I would recommend some kind of wood door to cover your funnel opening at night and when you do not have birds out that need to get in.

marc

Post by marc » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:50 am

I recently built a Johnny House out of 2x2 PT, plywood, hardware cloth and polycarbonate roofing. I used a modular construction, and it is entirely study and sufficient. I got 2 dozen quail last week, and of the 5 I released on day 2, 2 came back. One succumbed to puppy enthusiasm. Of the 7 I released this past weekend, after being in the house for a week, all returned. Some of them were flushed twice, and wound up quite a distance from the house.

marc

Post by marc » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:15 pm

I recently built a Johnny House out of 2x2 PT, plywood, hardware cloth and polycarbonate roofing. I used a modular construction, and it is entirely study and sufficient. I got 2 dozen quail last week, and of the 5 I released on day 2, 2 came back. One succumbed to puppy enthusiasm. Of the 7 I released this past weekend, after being in the house for a week, all returned. Some of them were flushed twice, and wound up quite a distance from the house.

Laidback1

Post by Laidback1 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:36 pm

got my first Johnny House (Phantom Quail Kennel) last month and the quail are recalling back to the pen with no problems. The problem I'm running into now is the birds are no longer flying. The first few weeks they would flush like wild birds. Now when I release them they basically just hop down off the kennel and walk around. Takes a lot of pressure to get them to flush. Any thoughts what's going on?