Nesting Boxes

DeLo727

Nesting Boxes

Post by DeLo727 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:06 pm

So I started building a small pigeon loft for 10-12 birds. I'm winging it as I go, I am not using plans or anything like that which I know complicates things. For now I have left the side off because I think I want to put external nesting boxes in to save space. The whole thing is only 3ft square so I want to conserve the space I can. I have seen this done frequently with chickens but has anybody done it with pigeons? If so, can you share your ideas with me? Obviously most poultry nesting boxes will be a little big. Thanks a ton
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

greg jacobs

Re: Nesting Boxes

Post by greg jacobs » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:58 pm

Yeah. Made mine outside with hinged roofs for cleaning and checking on babies. Made mine 4x4x8 tall. Did the nesting boxes 4 foot wide split into 3 areas. I did 3 levels of nests. Up high in the middle and down low. Some guard an area and won't let others nest near them. Thee levels With openings to one side so they could get out of sight. Cut the holes flush with bottom so you can brush stuff out easy. I use big putty knife for cleaning. Scoop most out scrape the remaining out the opening. I use 2x2 inside in front of door to keep nest material in but can lift out for cleaning. Tried utility mesh but hated it. I use sand now so you can rake it out and droppings don't stick. They like the sand much better. 4x4x8 high is big enough for them to fly around a little. I put a sliding door up high for them to get in and out. Put a big enough door in to get your shoulders through. Much easier for feeding, watering, and cleaning and catching them. Use the utility mesh for a window for light and ventilation. I cover the window with plexiglass in the winter. After you figure out what you hate you can fix on the second one you build. :lol: Going to need a second one for the young ones anyway. After the babies are flying eating and drinking I move them out. Much more peaceful for the nesting pairs. Pretty soon you will need nest boxes for the babies cause the will be laying eggs. Then take one egg out of every pair to cut number of young. Then build a third to split up the males and females. Then let them fly a bunch and hope the hawks get some. :lol: :lol: :lol:

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:45 am

Better yet build the first one 4x8x8. Split it into 2 parts both 4x4x8 with 2x4 welded wire dividing them so you can split up the cocks and hens. Then they can sit near each other and reach through to preen each other. Then build a 4x4x8 for the young. Only raise young when you need shooters. And you probably think I'm kidding.

DeLo727

Post by DeLo727 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:13 am

greg jacobs wrote:Better yet build the first one 4x8x8. Split it into 2 parts both 4x4x8 with 2x4 welded wire dividing them so you can split up the cocks and hens. Then they can sit near each other and reach through to preen each other. Then build a 4x4x8 for the young. Only raise young when you need shooters. And you probably think I'm kidding.
lol, I don't think you're kidding. I just don't see myself building two of them and than splitting one in half. I chose the size I did because thats what I have space for

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:57 am

Thought you might get a chuckle out of it. I use to know each individual. Now I don't even know how many I have.