Young setter playing rough...

MNUplander90

Young setter playing rough...

Post by MNUplander90 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:22 pm

Hey All,
I have a llewellin setter that is 16 months old right now. She was like any other high drive puppy when younger when it comes to nipping and playing rough. I worked with her when she was younger and thought I had curbed her intense nippy rough play awhile back. Just recently she has started this again once in awhile only when in the yard, really hyped and excited. I'm guessing this is just normal young dog stuff and she thinks she got her big girl pants on now and is testing us but wanted to see what you all think. This is my first bird dog and all is going great otherwise. Any suggestions on how to handle this period please let me know. I have been just trying to cut play time short before it gets to that level. FYI I am not one to smack my dog to handle this, never have and never plan too.
Thanks

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Re: Young setter playing rough...

Post by RoostersMom » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:44 pm

If you had an older dog that was not too rough, that dog would help "handle it" for you. A well-timed correction is what is necessary - other dogs do it quickly, loudly, and it's over fast. There is nothing wrong with a correction for this type of behavior. Just don't overreact.

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:13 am

Has she been getting less exercise lately? With a young dog, they will get rid of pent up energy through over-excitement and roughness at play. A tired pup is a happy pup.

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:30 am

My Llewellin just turned a year old and we've seen a bit of a regression. A real sweetheart at 6 months, he's more rambunctious as of late.

I agree that exercise helps a ton.

.....just this morning I repaired the cord on my wife's vacuum that Whip felt should be six inches shorter.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:10 am

LOL Yes I've replaced the remote control twice. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Roffey

Post by Roffey » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:21 am

Lucky for me the dog enjoys the wife's shoes much more then mine. And about the time the wife notices she becomes "my dog" instead of "our dog".
Still worth it! Lol

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:25 pm

I don't whack dogs either, but I do train them. Never had one continue to act up after I said "No", if I did I would "whoa" them. The dog does not respect you or your authority. I am surprised he is performing well in the field, usually it carries over, and may well soon.

The dog needs exercise, a lot of exercise.

And you need to start over with basic obedience, keep him on a lead until you gain control.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:17 pm

I think it's normal for young dogs to get a little carried away and get to playing rough. Even not so young dogs do it sometimes IME. At my house, we just rear up on our hind legs a little bit, and tell them to knock it off, or tell them 'enough!' Depending on the degree of rowdiness, we might make them stand still for a minute. That calms them right down without any yelling or smacking, and they usually resume playing in a calmer manner.
I would stop that nipping right now. It may be only play, but it can hurt. Our rule is No Dog Teeth on People Skin -Ever! By 16 months just a sharp 'hey!' or 'enough!' and stopping whatever activity is precipitating the nips does the trick.

Moulders Farm

Post by Moulders Farm » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:10 pm

As others have said it is a little normal to be over excied but do not;;;let it go on. one way that works for me is to grab them around the mouth & nose Then Grall ;;; As another dog does to tell them no All so say NO You do not need to beat a dog but you must be the alfa dog or owner at home or in the field if you have to get a little ruff back do it NOW & never let any one in the house play ruff with your dog Always be in control Playing in the field or at home , They are your child treat them as so by correcting them any time they miss behave . The mother dog would bit back & graill as to say no . You are the mother dog .

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:31 pm

MNUplander90 wrote:Hey All,
I have a llewellin setter that is 16 months old right now. She was like any other high drive puppy when younger when it comes to nipping and playing rough. I worked with her when she was younger and thought I had curbed her intense nippy rough play awhile back. Just recently she has started this again once in awhile only when in the yard, really hyped and excited. I'm guessing this is just normal young dog stuff and she thinks she got her big girl pants on now and is testing us but wanted to see what you all think. This is my first bird dog and all is going great otherwise. Any suggestions on how to handle this period please let me know. I have been just trying to cut play time short before it gets to that level. FYI I am not one to smack my dog to handle this, never have and never plan too.
Thanks
Wake up , smell the Coffee?..whether you have a llewellin setter or a mongrel /cross breed ,You created it!..Huh?....When it was born it was 100% perfect was it not? ..
It only learned things since it was first fed from You ! ..Is this reply tough? ..pfft ! ..
Give it cookies to stop the stuff you don't want ..You will be fine :wink: ....Or my 2 cents...No body needs nor wants to smack anything !! ...But when those that have not shown nurture of behaviour in a manner that has been understood require an alternative that those should have done in the early days. ...
Feel bad yet ?..You should. Tough crowd> ? Yup ...You caused it . Buy a clicker . They work I've heard? ..(I've had a drink but not too much , I have to take the dogs out for last pee, so I'm short for time ) . Wish your dog well . I'm sure you will get the reply you are seeking :wink:

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:38 pm

Moulders Farm wrote:As others have said it is a little normal to be over excied but do not;;;let it go on. one way that works for me is to grab them around the mouth & nose Then Grall ;;; As another dog does to tell them no All so say NO You do not need to beat a dog but you must be the alfa dog or owner at home or in the field if you have to get a little ruff back do it NOW & never let any one in the house play ruff with your dog Always be in control Playing in the field or at home , They are your child treat them as so by correcting them any time they miss behave . The mother dog would bit back & graill as to say no . You are the mother dog .
Exactly. My 2year old terrier took at snap at my nose the other night, because he didn't want to move over on the couch. Hasn't happened since and won't be happening again. :wink: fill in the blanks.....
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:43 pm

Sharon wrote: Exactly. My 2year old terrier took at snap at my nose the other night, because he didn't want to move over on the couch. Hasn't happened since and won't be happening again. :wink: fill in the blanks.....
Are you an 'Aversion Trainer' ? :lol:

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:31 pm

I'm a "do what needs to be done " trainer.