Dog Barking at Birds?

ward

Dog Barking at Birds?

Post by ward » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:30 pm

Hi all, first time poster, but long time lurker here.

My question is about my almost two year old gsp, of whom I got about six months ago because her previous owner could not take care of her anymore. She had some basic obedience training, but had never been put on birds before. Anyways soon after I got her I began buying flight trained quail and placing them out for her (first two times I messed up and let her catch the birds). After doing it a few more times she never caught anymore birds, however did not point any either. I am following the "west" method of training and have been in line with Maurice Lindley's book "Training with Mo." She points random things all the time around my house (squirrel, lizards, non-game birds, etc.).

My question is now that I have been bringing her to the camp during duck season and letting her run around in the rice fields, she has been barking at all kinds of birds and squirrels (she has always barked at squirrels). Mostly the ones that I don't care about hunting. She has never barked at the quail ever when I have put them out though. With woodcock season opening down here in Louisiana this weekend I was wondering if this is going to effect anything and if there is anything that I should be doing to get her to quit barking at them. I have been told by one of my friends that trains brittany's that she is what you call a "screamer" and that it is no big deal and she will learn to stop with experience. This is my first pointing dog and was just wondering if y'all had any advice as to what I should do?

P.S. I don't expect to kill many birds over her this season as I expect she will have a lot to learn and I don't plan on shooting anything that she doesn't point.

Thanks for your help.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Re: Dog Barking at Birds?

Post by polmaise » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:21 pm

Are You really from Louisiana ?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:36 pm

ward wrote:Hi all, first time poster, but long time lurker here.

My question is about my almost two year old gsp, of whom I got about six months ago because her previous owner could not take care of her anymore. She had some basic obedience training, but had never been put on birds before. Anyways soon after I got her I began buying flight trained quail and placing them out for her (first two times I messed up and let her catch the birds). After doing it a few more times she never caught anymore birds, however did not point any either. I am following the "west" method of training and have been in line with Maurice Lindley's book "Training with Mo." She points random things all the time around my house (squirrel, lizards, non-game birds, etc.).

My question is now that I have been bringing her to the camp during duck season and letting her run around in the rice fields, she has been barking at all kinds of birds and squirrels (she has always barked at squirrels). Mostly the ones that I don't care about hunting. She has never barked at the quail ever when I have put them out though. With woodcock season opening down here in Louisiana this weekend I was wondering if this is going to effect anything and if there is anything that I should be doing to get her to quit barking at them. I have been told by one of my friends that trains brittany's that she is what you call a "screamer" and that it is no big deal and she will learn to stop with experience. This is my first pointing dog and was just wondering if y'all had any advice as to what I should do?

P.S. I don't expect to kill many birds over her this season as I expect she will have a lot to learn and I don't plan on shooting anything that she doesn't point.

Thanks for your help.

So she not hunting , she's just barking at whatever? but you want to hunt her too sometimes... like on the woodcock season coming up?

I have a terrier who wears an anti bark collar in the backyard. That would work. If she gets a correction when barking at a real bird , that would be a disaster. Maybe you can't have both. ... a quiet dog and a hunting dog :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

ward

Post by ward » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:50 pm

Yes I am from Louisiana.

Maybe I was unclear... No she has not hunted yet as our season is not open yet, however based on the fact that she barks at random birds all the time I believe that she is going to bark at all the ones I don't care about while hunting. Maybe I have jumped the gun on asking this question as she has not had her first hunt yet...

She doesn't bark at all when at home. It is only in when I take her to the woods/rice fields/hay fields etc. which is why I am led to believe she is going to bark at non-game birds while hunting.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:20 pm

ward wrote:Yes I am from Louisiana.

Maybe I was unclear... No she has not hunted yet as our season is not open yet, however based on the fact that she barks at random birds all the time I believe that she is going to bark at all the ones I don't care about while hunting. Maybe I have jumped the gun on asking this question as she has not had her first hunt yet...

She doesn't bark at all when at home. It is only in when I take her to the woods/rice fields/hay fields etc. which is why I am led to believe she is going to bark at non-game birds while hunting.
Ward -

What you have is an energetic two year old(nearly adult) dog that is an absolute baby puppy when it comes to birds. Honestly I not only wouldn't worry about it, I think it is great stuff and you should enjoy it. It is a measure of the enthusiasm and desire that the dog has.

As the dog gets into birds , more and more, it will tend to ignore non game species more and more. I'd bet money on that.

Just so you know...when a dove or pigeon lands on my roof and starts walking up and down, my dogs either in their kennels in the back yard, will go bonkers until it flies off. Otherwise they are quite content to just hang out. One is 12, one is 10, with scores of birds killed over each of them, and they are the two biggest mouths in the yard.

Your dog is mentally a baby puppy as regards birds. That puppy mind is in an adult body, so expect some strange reactions.

RayG

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:50 pm

RayGubernat wrote:
ward wrote:Yes I am from Louisiana.

Ward -

What you have is an energetic two year old(nearly adult) dog that is an absolute baby puppy when it comes to birds. Honestly I not only wouldn't worry about it, I think it is great stuff and you should enjoy it. It is a measure of the enthusiasm and desire that the dog has.

As the dog gets into birds , more and more, it will tend to ignore non game species more and more. I'd bet money on that.

Just so you know...when a dove or pigeon lands on my roof and starts walking up and down, my dogs either in their kennels in the back yard, will go bonkers until it flies off. Otherwise they are quite content to just hang out. One is 12, one is 10, with scores of birds killed over each of them, and they are the two biggest mouths in the yard.

Your dog is mentally a baby puppy as regards birds. That puppy mind is in an adult body, so expect some strange reactions.

RayG
+1
Biggest problem you have is an under exposed dog!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Grommet

Post by Grommet » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:50 pm

Are you Paul's friend that went with us to his brother's place in Plaquemine the first time your dog was on quail?

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:16 am

She'll get through this and be fine. Catching poor flying birds...that's a whole 'nother issue. If you want a pointing dog, you can't let them catch birds on the ground that haven't been pointed and shot. Instead of quail, get yourself some homing pigeons and use them for your training - they are great for training and you can use them for years!

h&t

Post by h&t » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:54 pm

does she chase and bark or simply bark at everything?

ward

Post by ward » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:38 pm

Chases and barks. It seems like the consensus is that it's a good thing and she will grow out of it with experience. Thanks for everyone's input.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:09 pm

It sounds like you have a nice, birdy hunting partner. The dog's innate exuberance is boiling over and this is what you are seeing. Yes, I do believe it is a good thing, but then I like a dog that is bonkers for birds. The dog will probably do less and less of this as it gains experience and age. Most do.

Smile... enjoy. It is a bird dog, being a dog...having fun. That is a good thing.

Every once in a while, at a field trial, there will be a dog that is so tightly wound that when it is released, it will tear off, yipping as it goes. That makes me smile...especially when you look at the bracing sheet and see that it is an old campaigner who has been through the wars...and it is obvious that the dog still wants it THAT bad. That is just cool to me, but maybe I'm a little nuts too.

RayG

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:54 pm

RayGubernat wrote:It sounds like you have a nice, birdy hunting partner. The dog's innate exuberance is boiling over and this is what you are seeing. Yes, I do believe it is a good thing, but then I like a dog that is bonkers for birds. The dog will probably do less and less of this as it gains experience and age. Most do.

Smile... enjoy. It is a bird dog, being a dog...having fun. That is a good thing.

Every once in a while, at a field trial, there will be a dog that is so tightly wound that when it is released, it will tear off, yipping as it goes. That makes me smile...especially when you look at the bracing sheet and see that it is an old campaigner who has been through the wars...and it is obvious that the dog still wants it THAT bad. That is just cool to me, but maybe I'm a little nuts too.

RayG
It's a lack in training for me Ray! ..Some say it's breeding but I also disagree. It wasn't born chasing birds it only sucked a teet!?,,,,,,,,,
I'll continue to train .

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:42 pm

polmaise wrote:
RayGubernat wrote:It sounds like you have a nice, birdy hunting partner. The dog's innate exuberance is boiling over and this is what you are seeing. Yes, I do believe it is a good thing, but then I like a dog that is bonkers for birds. The dog will probably do less and less of this as it gains experience and age. Most do.

RayG
It's a lack in training for me Ray! ..Some say it's breeding but I also disagree. It wasn't born chasing birds it only sucked a teet!?,,,,,,,,,
I'll continue to train .
It sucked that teet and barked at birds because of instincts they were born with.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.