Training Book Recommendations

mboss

Training Book Recommendations

Post by mboss » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:45 am

I have a 14 mo old GSP in his first season. In the field he's done quite well. I am looking for some suggestions on books/training methods for obedience, around the house and on a leash. He is completely bird crazy. It is the only thing he cares about on a walk, or at home in the yard. If there is enough light to see outside he is pacing the doors and windows trying to get outside. I understant completely this is a GOOD thing for a bird dog. That said, as a first time owner, I am having some difficulty getting his attention for long enough to work on basic obedience. His main behavior issues are: barking like a madman at visitors/crashing into their legs to get attention (though he does not jump, which is good), pulling and yanking on his leash when not on a pinch collar (he seems to know exactly which collar he's wearing). He listens to commands for the most part, but it's very difficult to get consistent respect and obedience from him. Looking for some books to read. Or, if my expectations for obedience are too high for a dog his age and disposition let me know.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Re: Training Book Recommendations

Post by Neil » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:06 am

An excellently framed question.

There are a number of good books on basic obedience that will help you out. Check out Amazon, abe books.com, or your local library. Also consider PetsMart or Petco, and while there check out the bulletin board for obedience groups/classes.

No matter their other jobs all dogs must learn to be a good citizen. At his age and temperament many crate them when company calls. You want high energy in the Field, but you must find the off switch for all other times.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:15 am

He is definitely not to young to learn obedience.
I do not know about books on obedience. But, you can help yourself out a lot by encouraging good behavior. Only reward what you like and ignore what you do not like.
It takes something on both ends of the leash for him to pull. Let him run out ahead until he is about to hit the end of the leash, turn about and walk the other way, yank him hard when he hits the end of the leash do not say anything until he gets along side then praise him. Do the same thing when he goes ahead again. It will take a few times but he will get it. A figure eight or gentle leader can get his attention. You will lose pulling contests.
For controlling the barking a Modern Bark collars work great. You need to make sure he learns it is the barking that causes the stimulation rather than whatever he is barking at.
Once he starts learning that you are in control the rest is easy. Just realize it takes baby steps. Most of us crawled before we walked.....................Cj

mboss

Post by mboss » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:27 am

Thank you for the advice so far. A bit of follow up from me to see if you have further thoughts.

I have successfully trained a few things, by positive reward. For example, when I say kennel, he scoots directly to his crate, where he still gets a reward to this day. He is excellent in his crate, doesn't cry or bark in there at all. Also if I say "wait" when I feed him, I can put his bowl down and he won't start eating until I release him with "ok" So I have some things going with him.

The leash training you recommended I wanted to ask further about... because I do this with him almost every morning on a walk. However, if I have him on a pinch collar I get perfect results. If he is wearing his regular leather flat collar he ignores it. I can do the turn and walk away and stop and start all day and he couldn't care less. He KNOWS that collar can't hurt him. The minute I slip the pincher on him he walks next to my left leg with no pulling or straying. So. I am assuming I am missing something on my end. Possibly related to a positive re-inforcement?

Neil a follow up question for you would be on the book selection. I don't want to create a boot licker that doesn't leave my side in the field with a ton of obedience. I want him to hunt like he does now, which is pretty good for his first season. I have read the Wildrose Kennels "Gentleman Gundog" book, but it reads quite heavily towards retrievers, who will sit and wait for the retrive. not pointers that need to get out and find the game. Are there methods that work better than others for getting a mindful dog that is still independent enough to hunt like he knows how? If I'm overthinking this part of it, feel free to let me know. My hesitation was getting a dog that follows me around and doesn't hunt.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:37 am

mboss
it sounds like you are doing better than you think.
With the treats you need to phase them out at least at some point so the dog learns to obey the command because it is a command.
You do not have to hurt the dog with the leash but you need to time it well and get the dog off balance. You never want a tight leash. except for short tugs. my 11 year old daughter could handle a twelve hundred pound horse with the same principal. But she would never win a pulling match. The horse did not know that because he was never given the chance to pull. Good luck and keep thinking about it. .....................CJ

mboss

Post by mboss » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:25 pm

cjhills wrote:mboss
it sounds like you are doing better than you think.
With the treats you need to phase them out at least at some point so the dog learns to obey the command because it is a command.
You do not have to hurt the dog with the leash but you need to time it well and get the dog off balance. You never want a tight leash. except for short tugs. my 11 year old daughter could handle a twelve hundred pound horse with the same principal. But she would never win a pulling match. The horse did not know that because he was never given the chance to pull. Good luck and keep thinking about it. .....................CJ
Thanks for the response and input! I should clarify. I never pull it tight on him, and it's always released right away. If I turn and walk the other direction while he's wearing the pinch collar he will turn and come with me, with no need even for a tug. But when I put a regular collar on him, he ignores it completely.

Jidano3

Post by Jidano3 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:53 pm

mboss, there is a video by Brad Higgins called the "the walk". It is on his website, higginsgundogs.com or look it up on youtube. It may offer the missing link you are looking for.

Meller

Post by Meller » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:20 am

Training with Mo! a good book to go by.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:13 am

It sounds too easy to be true, but if he respects and listens to the pinch collar, then use the pinch collar. My dogs respond to the e-collar. They never go to the field without one on. Ever. I don't have to use it on the Pointers 98% of the time, the GSP's from 50% to 80% and the Vizsla hasn't needed a "reminder" in years. If the tool works, use it. Don't leave it at home, train with it. If you want to transition to the e-collar, that will be invaluable for you.

I use the Perfect Start and Perfect Finish DVD's but they are mostly for bird training.