dog flash pointing

setterpoint

dog flash pointing

Post by setterpoint » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:00 pm

just started puting my 6 mo. old pup on birds i was wondering what some of you do the dog will point for say 10 seconds then gos after the scent i know this is a comm. thing was wondering of the way some of you correct this

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: dog flash pointing

Post by Sharon » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:43 pm

First time on birds? perfectly normal. Not something I correct. Are you following a programme of some kind?
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:17 pm

iv been through this befor just wanted to get some diff op from some on this forum i have picked up a few good tips that worked befour

DeLo727

Post by DeLo727 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:48 am

I'm curious about this as well. I have no plans to try to encourage my guy to stay on point as a pup. But at what point, if he's not getting it himself, should you start to reinforce his pointing instincts. I.E. a pup that's a year old flash pointing.

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:53 pm

i guess this is the qustion i should have ask the sire and dam were pointing grouse early less than a year im not saying they were broke grouse dogs but would point and hold birds very young i still have both of them i got started a little late with this pup im not that concernd as it has just been a couple days and just a few birds just wondering when some start expecting dog to hold to flush and if this starts to become a problem the differand ways people correct this

zjohn14

Post by zjohn14 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:31 pm

What training methods are you using? Ever heard of the west method? If not look it up and study it best way to train a bird dog imo

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re:

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:56 pm

zjohn14 wrote:What training methods are you using? Ever heard of the west method? If not look it up and study it best way to train a bird dog imo
Setterpoint, You have a couple of great trainers down in your area that use the west method. Maurice Lindley in S. Carolina and Dave Jonesy in south central Kentucky. Either or both will help you plus there is a book out that Martha has written called Training with MO. Mo is Maurice.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:42 am

the perfect start videos make more scents to me