9 week old Brittany Tips

NJWilliamson

9 week old Brittany Tips

Post by NJWilliamson » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:08 pm

Hey guys I got my first ever bird dog. He is a 9 week old Brittany and his name is Oliver. So far I am just working on basic obedience stuff with him, "sit", "lay down", and potty training. I have never trained a dog for bird hunting before. What do I need to be doing and what are the best resources, books, or DVDs you would suggest? Thanks!

oldbeek

Re: 9 week old Brittany Tips

Post by oldbeek » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:13 pm

First, do not train sit or lay down! It will cause problems in the future. You do not want a pointer sitting or laying down on point. I train stay. I don't care if the dog is standing on its head when it stays. The Perfect Start, Perfect Finish is a good training video. For right now just let him have fun. Teach him about a collar and get used to a leash.

33Scout

9 week old Brittany Tips

Post by 33Scout » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:44 pm

Let him have tons of fun. As oldbeek said prior to my post. Take him for walk in fields and wooded areas as much as you can while he is young. Change directions periodically and let him quarter to your direction this will help down the road. While doing this over time u can incorporate a command or whistle when u turn as it will teach the dog turn to. Oliver is a great looking pup BTW. Make sure u have lots of fun and build the companionship between the two of you. I have two setters that are great companions and even better bird finders. You will have tons of fun throughout your journey with Oliver. One piece of advice that I would give u or anyone else for that matter is always have fun this is what it's all about in the long run. Just my worthless two cents.

DeLo727

Post by DeLo727 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:50 pm

Thats a good looking pup, don't put too much pressure on yourself or him at first. He's just a baby. First things I started with my little guy was whoa. I started doing it at his food bowl on a leash and gradually I've worked it into yard training. Also, getting him used to the leash is a huge thing.
Great looking dog, looks a little like my French Britt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NJWilliamson

Post by NJWilliamson » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:15 am

Thanks for the tips guys these are great. I live in Winter Springs, Fl (a suburb of Orlando). Does anyone know of a club in the area or a trainer/mentor? Thanks!