Vizsla socialization tips?

RaiderZach

Vizsla socialization tips?

Post by RaiderZach » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:41 pm

My V is almost 9 months old now, and hes nearly perfect in every way. His training is going great in the field and he is awesome at home with the family (sans the counter surfing, but we are working on that!)

However, he does have 1 slight problem and I am trying to figure out if I should be worried or not.

Anytime we meet new people he almost ALWAYS initially cowers down to the ground to approach them. He's always excited to meet people almost too excited, and if its a woman he may even piddle a bit. (no idea why he only seems to do this when he meets girls)

Around other dogs, hes not nearly as timid. He has a few GSP friends we meet with at least once a week and he always does well with those dogs, and others we encounter from time to time.

Any tips on breaking him of this habit? Should i just bring him around more and more strangers? I can do this, but I also don't want him wetting everyone's shoes he meets.

Thanks!

Neil
GDF Junkie

Re: Vizsla socialization tips?

Post by Neil » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:17 pm

What advantage to you hope to realize from him meeting strange people and dogs?

My dogs are bold and confident at home, hunting and at field trials; but so rarely meet others I have no way to know their reaction.

Your dog's reaction is a submissive gesture, he is likely to become more confident as he matures.

Spy Car

Post by Spy Car » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:20 pm

Yes, get the Vizsla out and about with you to meet all sorts of (friendly) people.

These are submissive (fear based) behaviors. The "advantage" to socializing the Vizsla is that the dog should be living in the world, and not be afraid of meeting new people. Do this and the confidence should grow.

Bill (Vizsla owner)

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:04 pm

Spy Car wrote:Yes, get the Vizsla out and about with you to meet all sorts of (friendly) people.

These are submissive (fear based) behaviors. The "advantage" to socializing the Vizsla is that the dog should be living in the world, and not be afraid of meeting new people. Do this and the confidence should grow.

Bill (Vizsla owner)

Submissive and fear are not always related. In this case where the dog is anxious and excited to meet new people I think you will be hard pressed to relate it to fear in any way. I would keep doing what you are doing and you will probably see an improvement as the dog matures but in all honesty you have a submissive Vizsla which is not uncommon within that breed. It is just one of the things built into them when they were brought over here. I have seen a great change in many of them today as the attitude is one of the things breeders are trying to change. I just hope they don't overdo it as that is one of the characteristics that make a Vizsla a Vizsla and not a small GSP.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:46 pm

OP,
See if you can set up some meet 'n' greets for your dog where you have instructed the people beforehand to greet you but ignore the dog. Once you pup gives the people his sniff test and seems to be Ok with them, let the people speak him him quietly and pet him gently. Sometimes people are just too overwhelmingly friendly for the more timid submissive dogs, and then you get that quirky reaction. Once your pup is allowed to meet folks at his own pace he'll be more confident. A little age on him will help too :D

Spy Car

Post by Spy Car » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:58 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
Spy Car wrote:Yes, get the Vizsla out and about with you to meet all sorts of (friendly) people.

Bill (Vizsla owner)

Submissive and fear are not always related. In this case where the dog is anxious and excited to meet new people I think you will be hard pressed to relate it to fear in any way. I would keep doing what you are doing and you will probably see an improvement as the dog matures but in all honesty you have a submissive Vizsla which is not uncommon within that breed. It is just one of the things built into them when they were brought over here. I have seen a great change in many of them today as the attitude is one of the things breeders are trying to change. I just hope they don't overdo it as that is one of the characteristics that make a Vizsla a Vizsla and not a small GSP.
Submission and fear are two sides of the same coin Ezzy. They are most definitely related behaviorally.

Bill

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:05 pm

Bill (Vizsla owner)
Please explain the advantage. I am serious, trying to learn, not argue. I have had a hundred plus dogs, none of which were deliberately exposed to people or dogs, and I can't understand how they were disadvantaged.

Can't recall any that were afraid or cowed when meeting a new person or dog, just indifferent, perhaps aloof, but how is that bad? For children that are expected to get an education, earn a living, raise a family, etc. socialization is important. My dogs need to only hunt and be adjusted to me.

I don't get it.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:35 pm

Neil, most of us consider our dogs more than a hunting tool. They are also a house and family pet sometimes watchdog, children's companion, traveling companion, and all around family member that greets many people at the door. That put a whole different look on the dogs responsibility and how they are trained.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:42 pm

Ezzy,

Still lost. My dogs do all those things, except greet people at the door. When the door bell rings, whichever dogs are in the house, go to their place, most often without a verbal command. Had a visiter last week that had been in the house for an hour when he finally observed a Britt lounging in the corner, asking shockingly, "You have dogs?"

So again, how are they disadvantaged?

Perhaps, just perhaps, this will explain my relationship to dogs, they are not my children, I am not their dad, they are not part of the family. They are very important to me, I love them and treat them with respect, but they are not human. I will care for their every need in exchange for their returned love. But they are animals.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:00 pm

Neil wrote:Ezzy,

Still lost. My dogs do all those things, except greet people at the door. When the door bell rings, whichever dogs are in the house, go to their place, most often without a verbal command. Had a visiter last week that had been in the house for an hour when he finally observed a Britt lounging in the corner, asking shockingly, "You have dogs?"

So again, how are they disadvantaged?

Perhaps, just perhaps, this will explain my relationship to dogs, they are not my children, I am not their dad, they are not part of the family. They are very important to me, I love them and treat them with respect, but they are not human. I will care for their every need in exchange for their returned love. But they are animals.
I too am aware they are animals and I treat them as such. I am not going to tell you what your dogs lack as that is up to you and I have little interest in how you train or treat as long as it is humane. I am sorry that you are concerned with what others like to do with their dogs since I think if they are happy I am too and I do not worry about what they do effecting what I do. When someone asks a specific question then I will try to help them based on the experience I have had over the years.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:31 pm

Ezzy,

I am one of those asking a question, I am trying to learn. If it is not anthropomorphism , I just don't understand.

Spy Car

Post by Spy Car » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:07 pm

Neil, a person who has 7 dogs at home is simply in a different position in regards to dog socialization than a person that has one. I think everyone understands that dogs are not people (and vice versa) so that if a dog is going to spend time playing and interacting with other dogs—and those dog's are from single dog households—then it pretty much follows that owners of those dogs will need to get them out where they'll meet new dogs and new people. It is especially so for people living in less remote areas. In my case, if I didn't have a Vizsla who was well-socialized to other dogs and meeting new people, I'd have a much more difficult time getting in the many hours of daily exercise my V needs. In my situation it is vital.

You are just living in a different circumstances. No judgement there. It just isn't the same situation to have 7 dogs in the countryside, as it is to have one in a suburban setting.

In the OPs case they have a dog that is exhibiting submission urination at 9 months. That is very late to have this persist. The best way to overcome submission urination is to get the dog out to meet new friendly people in relaxed circumstance (and where an accident isn't a disaster). Calmness on the part of the humans is hugely helpful, as "excitement" is a trigger for submission urination. It is a condition that is usually outgrown, but at 9 months it is more troubling than at 9 weeks. I would move on this actively myself.

Bill

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:22 pm

Thanks Spy, I think I get your point. Still have to ask why socialize?

Went to town today and one of the dogs asked to go; went to the drive through at the bank, I made a deposit, Snow got a treat from the nice clerk. Next was the hardware store, she stayed it the truck. Then a couple laps around a local park with her on a lead. Next a quick stop at TSC, followed by lunch at the Cajun Waggin, she set be me on a lead, while I ate, watching people come and go. On the way home met my neighbor and visited awhile. Then I roaded her and her kennelmates for an hour, seeing people, dogs, cats, and 3 deer.

I suspected we saw 100 people and 10 dogs walking around and about, neither she nor I touched one of them. We were friendly, I smiled, she calmly wagged her tail. But we did not make direct contact.

How were we disadvantaged?

Honestly, I am not being obtuse, just trying to understand.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:39 pm

Maybe you've just been lucky. :) I'll give you my JRT to take around with you. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:43 pm

Neil, it sounds to me like you guys are using 'socialize' in different contexts. Are you thinking of 'socialize' as in hob nob and mingle with people, while Bill is defining it as getting a dog used being in the company of other dogs and people?

Your Snow seems to be well socialized while refraining from socializing :lol:

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:00 pm

I don't have any advice. My dog is quite similar to your's - loves people, gets excited when he sees them and often will crouch down when approaching and even have a slight dribble sometimes. Could I have socialized him better? Probably. Hindsight is always 20/20, I often think I should've taken him with my to pick up my daughter from school every day when he was a small pup. Now that he is full grown and bounces off the walls, I usually tell him to go to his crate when people come to the door, and am not real crazy about being around people all the time because he has so much energy and most people don't know how to deal with a dog like that. Do I think my dog is unsocialized? Not a chance. He loves absolutely everyone - its just his nature. Sure the odd time when he dribbles it bugs me but perhaps he would've done that regardless. He is a high energy, excitable dog.... that's who he is. To me an unsocialized dog is a dog that is wary of strangers, standoffish, or even fearfully aggressive. My dog meets new people regularly and it doesn't change anything. He is who he is... and for the most part, that's okay with me :wink:
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr