Anyone send their pup to training? In MICHIGAN

Evanman2010

Anyone send their pup to training? In MICHIGAN

Post by Evanman2010 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:17 am

Looking to send my GSP pup to training where he can get more exposure to birds, hunting, pointing, basic commands, etc. Ive heard of places taking dogs for a month at a time and training almost everyday on birds. My GSP is just over 9 months and I feel right now he needs as much exposure to birds as possible. What would be a good age to send him out? Any Michigan trainers out there, if so where? When would be a good time in the year to send him out(End of season, before season, anytime in the year, etc)? What would a resonable cost be? Im the typical foot hunter, training my pup almost everyday but cannot get access to birds daily. Any help would be much appecriated. Im from the Ann Arbor Area.
Thank you!

rinker

Re: Anyone send their pup to training? In MICHIGAN

Post by rinker » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:56 am

I would contact these folks. http://www.hifivekennels.com/ I think they go south every winter. If you sent your dog on that trip, he would be on birds all winter while it is too cold and the snow too deep to do it in Michigan.

Evanman2010

Post by Evanman2010 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:03 pm

I will check them out, thanks.

Marsh2

Post by Marsh2 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:47 pm

Did you ever check out colonial farms right in your home town? they breed GSPs and offer training on the preserve they run.... might not be what you are looking for though

Evanman2010

Post by Evanman2010 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:47 pm

Yes, as a matter of fact we have been training with Bill at Colonial farms twice a month since I got my pup. Im looking for a place that will board and train him for a couple weeks at a time (6 days a week, constantly on birds, etc). Ive heard of many places doing this but it seems like everyone shuts down the training when the snow flies in Michigan. Maybe I can find a good place in April and have all of next summer to train.

Marsh2

Post by Marsh2 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:17 pm

Try Greg Sedlack at point a bird GSPs. They are Millington, Mi.

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:17 am

[quote="rinker"]I would contact these folks. http://www.hifivekennels.com/ I think they go south every winter. If you sent your dog on that trip, he would be on birds all winter while it is too cold and the snow too deep to do it in Michigan.[/quote

X2

madmurph

Post by madmurph » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:23 am

A third vote for Bruce and Neal at Hifive Kennels. Bruce is an excellent trainer and an accomplished trialer. His son Neal has learned well and is also doing an excellent job. In addition to their home in Michigan, they train in Georgia in the winter and I believe somewhere out west as well.
You could live without a dog, but it would not be worthwhile.

Evanman2010

Post by Evanman2010 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:17 pm

Well I missed sending my pup south for winter training and have been training at home as well as obediance training. Still in the search for some spring time training to send my gsp off to. I plan on contacting hifivekennels, any other suggestions on places to go?

llewellinsetter

Post by llewellinsetter » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:59 pm

Evanman2010 wrote:Well I missed sending my pup south for winter training and have been training at home as well as obediance training. Still in the search for some spring time training to send my gsp off to. I plan on contacting hifivekennels, any other suggestions on places to go?

Also charlie Linblade in ann arbor,http://www.michiganwingshooter.com/Char ... ainer.html
great trainer and good guy, also bill is awesome he helped me with bruno a lot.

cameron
The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too. ~Samuel Butler

Evanman2010

Post by Evanman2010 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:05 pm

Talked with Charlie and we out for a meet and greet session. Decided to go with Charlie and I will be sending out my pup at the end of March for 2 weeks. From the meet and greet it seems like Charlie knows what he is doing, he seems like he has a Masters Degree in hunting dogs, birds, anything hunting related haha. From the 1 hr session we were able to start e-collar breaking my dog and he showed me a few commands to train before I send him out. I will update with results and my review after the 2 weeks of Training. Thanks again for all the recommendations.