Bluetick/Wirehair Pointer Mix

ScottB88

Bluetick/Wirehair Pointer Mix

Post by ScottB88 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:26 pm

Hey yall, I have a 4 month old Bluetick coonhound/German wirehair pointer mix. At first I started with pointer training (since she resemble more of that trait). She will only occasionally point, however she never points to what I am training her with. Then I started training her to scent hunt. She loves to use her nose, but she doesn't like to follow scents. So I was wondering if anyone had any advice on the matter. Should I train her to do both? Should I stick with one? I've trained retrievers but wanted a different challenge and it sure is kicking my butt. Also, I had someone tell me that she is almost useless for hunting because of the two breeds are so polar opposite. Is this true?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Bluetick/Wirehair Pointer Mix

Post by Sharon » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:28 pm

Welcome to the forum.
At 4 months, I would watch and see if some specific breed characteristic is dominant. Take it slowly; let the pup just become independent in the bush and enjoy the great out- of- doors.

"Also, I had someone tell me that she is almost useless for hunting because of the two breeds are so polar opposite." quote

Never say never. Many a supposedly "useless dog" has turned out to be a fine hunting companion. Let us know how it goes. :)

( consider a locator collar as hounds like to GOOO!)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

northwoodshunter

Post by northwoodshunter » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:33 pm

Now, i am not positive of this, but i would guess that depending how much of each breed in it him, you could train him to point, and also track, but i would choose the one that you want to do more of and do that more thoroughly and first, and let it progress, don't rush it, then later when he has the pointing down, get him to track
Also, everything Sharon said is very good advice.

-Northwoodshunter

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:55 pm

Sharon wrote:Welcome to the forum.
At 4 months, I would watch and see if some specific breed characteristic is dominant. Take it slowly; let the pup just become independent in the bush and enjoy the great out- of- doors.

"Also, I had someone tell me that she is almost useless for hunting because of the two breeds are so polar opposite." quote

Never say never. Many a supposedly "useless dog" has turned out to be a fine hunting companion. Let us know how it goes. :)

( consider a locator collar as hounds like to GOOO!)
+1 good advice above.

At 4 months he may not point. Some pointing dogs start later. Just be patient and let him tell you if he's got "it" in him. Maybe he'll start pointing, maybe he'll track. But you won't be able to force either. I also second the tracking collar. Provides a lot of peace of mind.
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:38 am

Just never know what will turn out. Owned and Hunted a Lab/GSP for years Would point grouse and woodcock, but would flush pheasants with abandon, He of course would retrieve every thing that was asked of him!
I'm 100% in favor of LGBT - Liberty, Guns, Bacon and Trump.

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:06 am

Sounds like you got a "home-made" version if in appearance only of this beast, le Griffon Nivernais https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFu8wo2LpFc also known as France's pig sticker-to ("sur sanglier") extraordinaire.

MG

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:34 am

Your dog might point, I would guess will track and could be it will only tree. You have a mix breed dog and what trait's will surface you can only guess at. at four month's it's just a pup that most likely hasn't a clue which way it will go, if either! That's the chance you take with a mix b'll get!reed dog, can't e sure what you will get. If what you want is a hunting dog you have three option's. You can ride it out with the pup and see if it turn's to something you can use, you can find a home for it and look for a pup with the trait's you want or you can make a pet put of it and get a pup bred to do what you want. Every so often I read posy's where soe one get's a mix breed dog of different traits and want's to know how to train it, not a clue until you see what trait's if any come up! And even then the trait's might be so weak as that neither come on well. I wish I could give you more encouragement than that.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:00 pm

Any mix will have something .
It invariably never has the desired mix intended ? (meaning all the good bits of each) .
If it was so, I would have a 'greyhoundlabwhippetcockerspringerpointerpoodleterriercollie'

What you train it for and how you train it can either bring these 'traits' out or diminish them.
End results of any one 'trait' would never be the same as one that was bred for generations with that 'one trait' .
Training and environment can 'mask it' , but it will be there until you 'breed it out' ... Our history (English) proves that breeding it 'in' produced kings /Queens ,Dukes and Lords that were ,well ?.......................Not right in the head :wink:

ScottB88

Post by ScottB88 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:08 pm

Thanks for all the advice. I will just continue trying out both techniques until she decides which she wants to do. She's very intelligent so I don't think it will take too long for her. I am going to try the tracking collar as well. I will let yall know which she decides or even if she can do both!

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:50 pm

polmaise wrote: Our history (English) proves that breeding it 'in' produced kings /Queens ,Dukes and Lords that were ,well ?.......................Not right in the head :wink:
:lol: :lol: So you've heard about Glamis Castle too then ?

That cross could produce just about anything in it's offspring . Possibly not to it's detriment though. If the murmurs and rumours are correct foxhound was crossed into the Labrador breed here and into the pointer too. It doesn't seem to have done any great harm and it may have done some good.

I agree that you will have to wait and watch to see which traits begin to emerge and encourage them if they are favourable.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

muleskinner

Post by muleskinner » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:19 pm

The trainer I use had an Airedale in his kennel that he trained to point, retrieve, and honor another dog. Give your dog a chance with knowledgable training techniques. Anything is possible. 4 months is too early to determine much.