Vibration for whoa?

myersc

Vibration for whoa?

Post by myersc » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:54 pm

Hi, I have a 3 year old GSP who is trained and knows most of her commands. The only one I'm working on is the whoa command. She knows what it is but sometimes doesn't listen. Is it possible for me to train whoa with vibration on her e-collar?

Right now I use the tone for her recall commands and a double tone for quartering. I thought using vibration for when she's ranging far away would work for the whoa command.

Opinions?

nevermind

Re: Vibration for whoa?

Post by nevermind » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:18 am

Suppose you could, but how will you enforce the vibration mode when the dog blows you off? Seems hitting the vibration button when you want a dog to stop would be cumbersome...giving the voice command is more to the point and quicker.

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:29 am

myersc wrote:Hi, I have a 3 year old GSP who is trained and knows most of her commands. The only one I'm working on is the whoa command. She knows what it is but sometimes doesn't listen. Is it possible for me to train whoa with vibration on her e-collar?

Right now I use the tone for her recall commands and a double tone for quartering. I thought using vibration for when she's ranging far away would work for the whoa command.

Opinions?
Please explain what you mean here>
]I thought using vibration for when she's ranging far away would work for the whoa command.
I'm 100% in favor of LGBT - Liberty, Guns, Bacon and Trump.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:31 pm

"Right now I use the tone for her recall commands and a double tone for quartering. I thought using vibration for when she's ranging far away would work for the whoa command. " quote

Seems to me this is a lot for a dog to sort out when it is hunting hard. Never been one to use tones and vibrations. Never use anything if you can't see the dog, and if you can see the dog I prefer to use a big voice and the true correction if I'm ignored. A big voice command works well for getting the dog to change direction and stay in the range you want.

I'd just go back to yard and work on whoa with some pigeons .
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:59 pm

Anything will work if you train for it. The question is do you want to do that or is there a better way. And that I can't answer for you. I used the vibrate instead of the stimulation with my two and it worked well. Changed Collar brand and lost the vibrate but I did like it and used it.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:00 pm

I think vibration is more pressure on a dog than a nick is. Vibration is a longer,stronger stimulation. I do use it myself now and then, but I conditioned the dog to recall with it, so if hes in the thick stuff and can;'t hear me I can hit the pager and he'll come running back to me. I think in an instance where you want the dog to stop, it may be a bit more menacing than perhaps a single nick would be.
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

myersc

Post by myersc » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:27 pm

CDN_Cocker wrote:I think vibration is more pressure on a dog than a nick is. Vibration is a longer,stronger stimulation. I do use it myself now and then, but I conditioned the dog to recall with it, so if hes in the thick stuff and can;'t hear me I can hit the pager and he'll come running back to me. I think in an instance where you want the dog to stop, it may be a bit more menacing than perhaps a single nick would be.

The only time I use the nick on him is if she isn't recalling. I use either a verbal command, whistle, or tone on the collar to recall her. If I wanted to use the nick to get her to stop I'm sure she would turn around and come to me. Maybe I trained her wrong in this aspect.

I think I'm going to try the Whoa post to enforce the command. She's only hunted one year and was very strong on her points. So maybe I don't even need to worry about using "whoa". This year of hunting will dictate that. One month away.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:31 pm

myersc wrote:
CDN_Cocker wrote:I think vibration is more pressure on a dog than a nick is. Vibration is a longer,stronger stimulation. I do use it myself now and then, but I conditioned the dog to recall with it, so if hes in the thick stuff and can;'t hear me I can hit the pager and he'll come running back to me. I think in an instance where you want the dog to stop, it may be a bit more menacing than perhaps a single nick would be.

The only time I use the nick on him is if she isn't recalling. I use either a verbal command, whistle, or tone on the collar to recall her. If I wanted to use the nick to get her to stop I'm sure she would turn around and come to me. Maybe I trained her wrong in this aspect.

I think I'm going to try the Whoa post to enforce the command. She's only hunted one year and was very strong on her points. So maybe I don't even need to worry about using "whoa". This year of hunting will dictate that. One month away.

You are making this too complicated, I think.

I teach whoa in the yard as part of heel/whoa drills. I also teach here or recall in the yard. The e-collar comes in as a long distance checkcord and I only use it when the dog ignores a verbal command. Name and command and if the dog does not respond... I hit the e-collar.

Whoa is the same. Whoa means stop and grow roots...right now...right exactly where you are. It has nothing whatsoever to do with birds or game. Whoa means stop...instantly... and do not move until I release. Anything less than that and there is an e-collar correction.

If a dog moves on point or breaks on flush, I do not hit the dog with an e-collar stim. I holler "whoa" first... and when the dog does not stop...THEN it gets nailed, not for chasing, not for roading in, not for busting a bird... but for disobeying a known command.

RayG

GrayGhost

Post by GrayGhost » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:03 am

Last month I went out on a training session with a lady in Oregon who has pointers and GSP's and she used the vibration as a whoa command and it seemed to work for her. I don't know if its the best way, but she trialed her dogs and did very well with them.

myersc

Post by myersc » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:06 pm

RayGubernat wrote:
myersc wrote:

You are making this too complicated, I think.

I teach whoa in the yard as part of heel/whoa drills. I also teach here or recall in the yard. The e-collar comes in as a long distance checkcord and I only use it when the dog ignores a verbal command. Name and command and if the dog does not respond... I hit the e-collar.

Whoa is the same. Whoa means stop and grow roots...right now...right exactly where you are. It has nothing whatsoever to do with birds or game. Whoa means stop...instantly... and do not move until I release. Anything less than that and there is an e-collar correction.

If a dog moves on point or breaks on flush, I do not hit the dog with an e-collar stim. I holler "whoa" first... and when the dog does not stop...THEN it gets nailed, not for chasing, not for roading in, not for busting a bird... but for disobeying a known command.

RayG
Hey Ray - you're probably right, I likely am over-complicating things. I want to preface my comments with the fact that I am new to training dogs for hunting. That said, I would like to better understand the purpose of whoa. When do you need to use whoa when hunting?

If I'm on a tree-line and my dog is ranging too far away from me and if I'm concerned she is going to run the birds out the end of the tree-line, I usually recall her with the tone on her collar. If she disobeys then I nick her with the collar. Is this a scenario where I could whoa her? So instead of recalling her, I would say whoa and get her to stop where she is until I catch up to her.

There are times when she gets a little too excited and will chase a bird that is in flight and may scare up other birds at the same time. When she's in this situation I recall her with a verbal command and then a nick if she doesn't respond. cCould this be a situation where I would want to "whoa" her?

The other thing I will add is when we are in the field, she sometimes isn't so good at hearing (maybe obeying) my verbal commands. When I use the whistle or the tone on her collar, she obeys immediately. This is why I thought perhaps the vibration option would be good for whoa. My plan is to work with her alot this month on the whoa command and then see how she does in the field come October 1.

Last year was her first year hunting and I was impressed with how well she held a point. She never busted a bird when the bird was holding and always waited until I got to her so that I could flush the bird. Honestly, I can't really think of how I trained her to do this so I assume this is all instinct.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:07 am

Sure you can do it. It wouldn't be the best way for me pesonally but train the way you want. Teaching the whoa command can be time consuming but is really not that hard regardless of the way you do it or what command you use wheter it be electronic, whistle or vocal.

Good luck,
Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way