FF for Pointer?

seiowa

FF for Pointer?

Post by seiowa » Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:28 pm

I am about 95% sure I will be getting an English Pointer. I go to thinking how nice it would be to have one that retrieved, and poked around a bit online. I saw a few accounts of folks who had pointers who would retrieve. I know it is probably like teaching a cat to swim, but can this be done? Anyone have any anecdotes, personal or "friend of a friend" who has FF'd a pointer? Just curious, not a dealbreaker or anything. But like I said, sure would be nice.

mnaj_springer

Re: FF for Pointer?

Post by mnaj_springer » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:59 pm

Haha pointers will retrieve naturally too. Just make sure you know the breeding stock. Don't believe all the stereotypes you hear.
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:56 pm

mnaj_springer wrote:Haha pointers will retrieve naturally too. Just make sure you know the breeding stock. Don't believe all the stereotypes you hear.
+1
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Soarer31

Post by Soarer31 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:36 am

Troll

SCT

Post by SCT » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:26 am

My 5 month old pointer pup retrieved a wounded pigeon from 150 yards yesterday. All natural. All my pups do it naturally. He ran at top speed to get back to me to show his prize. Never harmed the bird either! However, if you want a bird dog of any breed to return retrieved bird to hand in a perfect manner you have to teach Force Fetch!

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:33 am

Soarer31 wrote:Troll
Yep, do not feed.

kcbullets

Post by kcbullets » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:03 pm

Hunted with a lot of pointers that retrieved. I believe it's important to train to hunt dead bird. You can train a shepherd to retrieve why wouldn't you think you can't train a pointer! FF is FF regardless of breed.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:42 pm

I am thinking this question can't be for real?

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

seiowa

Post by seiowa » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:56 am

Well I can tell beginners with pointers aren't welcome on this site. Probably my last post for that reason. This question WAS serious. I have never owned a true pointer before, only more versatiles like Weims GSPs etc that retrieve fairly naturally. I didn't know English Pointers had a natural retrieve instinct so EXCUSE FREAKING ME.

Guess I'll go elsewhere to start seeking info on my journey, this place is def for experts only.

Thanks to the few replies who weren't assholes.

skunk

Post by skunk » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:54 pm

I know someone in my NAVHDA chapter that has two English Pointers -- one of which has gotten a prize 1 in her UT twice. Things didn't work out at the invitational for some reason but the dog is a great dog and fetches just fine. I'm pretty sure the owner FF'd the dog but I don't know which specific method she followed.

seiowa

Post by seiowa » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:55 pm

I am new here and new to strictly pointers so how about cut me a "bleep" break. It was an honest question and every beginner starts somewhere. Even if youve heard this question a thosuand times i'm asking it genuinely. Thanks to the few who didn't assume I was a troll, the rest and this site in general can BITE ME. Im Out.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:47 pm

Thank you everyone that felt they needed to jump on someone who sounded naive but hadn't really did a thing but post ONE time. Hard to believe you can spot a troll before it becomes evident. I, like the rest of you thought the post could be a troll but I try to never judge a book by it's cover since if it was a problem we would find out soon enough. Judge not till there is proof.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:29 pm

All of my pointers retrieve. One of my pointers (Elhew bred) LOVES to retrieve. I hear a lot of Elhew owners say their pups love to retrieve. Mine sure does.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:09 pm

seiowa wrote:Well I can tell beginners with pointers aren't welcome on this site. Probably my last post for that reason. This question WAS serious. I have never owned a true pointer before, only more versatiles like Weims GSPs etc that retrieve fairly naturally. I didn't know English Pointers had a natural retrieve instinct so EXCUSE FREAKING ME.

Guess I'll go elsewhere to start seeking info on my journey, this place is def for experts only.

More proof of a troll. Don't feed them and they resort to insults.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:16 pm

Neil wrote:
seiowa wrote:Well I can tell beginners with pointers aren't welcome on this site. Probably my last post for that reason. This question WAS serious. I have never owned a true pointer before, only more versatiles like Weims GSPs etc that retrieve fairly naturally. I didn't know English Pointers had a natural retrieve instinct so EXCUSE FREAKING ME.

More proof of a troll. Don't feed them and they resort to insults.
Now now Neil. I know that isn't true as you have been here way to long to be a troll.

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Soarer31

Post by Soarer31 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:25 pm

Some advice for you Champ....
Don't go to a cat forum and sudjest that cats can't swim!!
You might be labelled as a troll
Cheers

seiowa

Post by seiowa » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:43 am

I don't get the culture of this board. I'm on a ton of outdoor forums, many fishing related. When someone comes on saying they used 15 lb braid at a wild trout stream and came up empty handed, we don't point and laugh or assume it's a troll until we learn otherwise. Again thanks to those who have been helpful, thanks for the PMs from a couple of you, and King Neil, your royal highness, you can kiss my royal a s s.

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:40 pm

SCT wrote:My 5 month old pointer pup retrieved a wounded pigeon from 150 yards yesterday. All natural. All my pups do it naturally. He ran at top speed to get back to me to show his prize. Never harmed the bird either! However, if you want a bird dog of any breed to return retrieved bird to hand in a perfect manner you have to teach Force Fetch!
BINGO WE HAVE A WINNER! I absolutely agree with this. My best friend had a great pointer he would deliver right up to our feet without any real training, when he was young. His breeder had advised him not to FF this pup! I disagreed and told him to get some added opinions. He did not and he worked with this dog every morning before work keeping it in top condition, it pointed well and held steady on point, but as that dog grew it started tearing up games and then eating it. You could not get that dog to let go of the birds....still the guy never FF that dog. He just stopped hunting with it....eventually he sold it!

Sad but true....some people shouldn't have gun dogs...!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:23 pm

seiowa wrote:I am about 95% sure I will be getting an English Pointer. I go to thinking how nice it would be to have one that retrieved, and poked around a bit online. I saw a few accounts of folks who had pointers who would retrieve. I know it is probably like teaching a cat to swim, but can this be done? Anyone have any anecdotes, personal or "friend of a friend" who has FF'd a pointer? Just curious, not a dealbreaker or anything. But like I said, sure would be nice.
Never assumed you were a troll ; thought it was a decent question. Didn't answer it as I've only had setters, but my experience with my friends says pointers can naturally retrieve and definately be FF.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:14 pm

Calling the Op a troll for a perfectly sensible question and earlier today having a Mod tell a poster he was stupid and needed to earn respect is probably part of the reason so many people have left this Forum Board. My momma taught me that all people should be treated with respect until they gave me a reason not to.
If everybody has to agree with you there is not much reason for a forum. I respect everybody's opinion. Even when they are wrong. Not much in the dog world is written in stone.
To the Op do not get to upset about Neil calling you a troll he does that a lot................Cj

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:48 pm

cjhills wrote:My momma taught me that all people should be treated with respect until they gave me a reason not to.
Some time ago I thought you were all 'Troll's' :mrgreen: Including some senior members who play the nice card !..Thick skin and common sense to separate wheat from chaff on a forum and in real life is a god send :wink:

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:24 pm

seiowa wrote:I am about 95% sure I will be getting an English Pointer. I go to thinking how nice it would be to have one that retrieved, and poked around a bit online. I saw a few accounts of folks who had pointers who would retrieve. I know it is probably like teaching a cat to swim, but can this be done? Anyone have any anecdotes, personal or "friend of a friend" who has FF'd a pointer? Just curious, not a dealbreaker or anything. But like I said, sure would be nice.
Read the above.

Comparing having a pointer retrieve to teaching a cat to swim is an insult, I don't care if you are 13 with your first dog.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:50 pm

Neil wrote:
Read the above.

Comparing having a pointer retrieve to teaching a cat to swim is an insult, I don't care if you are 13 with your first dog.
I have read the above it looks totally legit to me. Cats are born knowing how to swim. So why would that be an insult....Cj

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:16 pm

No matter how well any dog retrieves that we've owned goes through FF.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:43 pm

Neil wrote:
Read the above.

Beginners sometimes say silly things Neil. When I started out , the judge said , "pick up your dog" and I thought I had to carry it all the way back to the car.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:03 pm

Neil wrote:
Read the above.

Exactly! It wasn't the question, but rather the way it was phrased that sent a red flag up for me and still does.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:07 pm

cjhills wrote:Calling the Op a troll for a perfectly sensible question and earlier today having a Mod tell a poster he was stupid and needed to earn respect is probably part of the reason so many people have left this Forum Board. My momma taught me that all people should be treated with respect until they gave me a reason not to.
If everybody has to agree with you there is not much reason for a forum. I respect everybody's opinion. Even when they are wrong. Not much in the dog world is written in stone.
To the Op do not get to upset about Neil calling you a troll he does that a lot................Cj
CJ, I looked back to see which MOD did that dastardly deed and there isn't any post by a Mod today. And since you brought it up, could you give us the names of all of the people who have left? I can name a few but there is a perfectly good reason for most of them. Just happens to be a new player in town named Facebook. A bigger audience for your pictures, ads, and conversation with your friends and family. And of course there have been some that were asked to leave that aren't generally published. But overall we are still gaining members at a record clip which is saying something over a ten or twelve year span.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:55 pm

CJ,

I don't recall ever calling anyone a troll before this time, since you claim I do it often, I am sure you can supply some quotes.

The jury is still out if I was wrong this time, if the OP proves to be non-troll like, I will certainly apologize. So far he seems to be successfully sewing disharmony, which is one of the definitions. He has directed profanities at me personally twice. That, too, is troll like.

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:33 pm

I was once told that NO QUESTION was a dumb question. Just that the person asking doesn't know or understand. Point Is, might be good to treat this person's question with some understanding and respect.
Instead, they were attacked as a troll. Maybe someone deserved to be called a few names !!!! Your attitude IMO toward the OP stunk.