Play toys or no play toys?

mizenkoj

Play toys or no play toys?

Post by mizenkoj » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:21 pm

I am in the process of training my first versatile hunting dog and I have noticed the dog likes to shake his play toy. I am concerned he's going to take that conditioning to his first bird. Is this valid or something not to worry about. What do you do to address his chewing needs if you don't allow play toys and work with just pumpers to begin to instill his prey and retrieve drives.

mnaj_springer

Re: Play toys or no play toys?

Post by mnaj_springer » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:16 am

Welcome to the forum.

How old is the pup?

Generally, I take no issue with toys, as long as they have no squeaker. If I receive a dog toy as a gift, then I take the squeaker out (people have a hard time understanding I like toys too :mrgreen: ). But otherwise the dogs usually know the difference between a play toy and bumper or bird. Kong makes some great toys for chewing. They are nearly indestructible.
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:54 am

Toys

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:20 am

In retriever training we take the dog through 'force fetch' conditioning. This process has dramatically changed over the years and is generally not done using pressure as it used to be, but we still get the same results! A soft mouth dog that delivers to hand and drops on command! I know a few gun dog owners that chose to skip this part of training, and have dogs that tear up and/or eat shot birds.....not a good thing and difficult to stop after they start!

getzapped

Post by getzapped » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:53 am

My pup shakes, tears and tugs at her toys, but not to bumpers or birds. I learned if there arw no toys, she will find something to use as a toy like shoes,bras, underwear, flowerpots, waterbottles. Etc...

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:09 am

Its a dog... give it some toys lol. Toys and birds are completely different to a dog.
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:34 pm

Only my terrier likes toys. The setters could care less. Terriers always rip out the eye balls in the stuffed animal first. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:44 pm

LOL! Eyeballs, ears, stuffing...then strut around with the pelt.

OP, your dog will figure out the difference between a stuffie and a bird. Let him rip!