three month setter pup

setterpoint

three month setter pup

Post by setterpoint » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:33 pm

just wondering what kind of training can DE done on 3 month setter pup I have been doing basic stuff just wanted to know what others do with pups

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: three month setter pup

Post by shags » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:53 pm

House manners, walk on a lead, stake-out or chaingang. Take 'em for walks in fields or woods to let them explore. Socialize with other dogs and kids. Keep them as happy and bold as possible.

You know you'd get a better answer if you posted pics, right? :lol:

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:45 pm

As Shags says + I also think puppy classes are useful as a socialization opportunity.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:00 pm

shags wrote:House manners, walk on a lead, stake-out or chaingang. Take 'em for walks in fields or woods to let them explore. Socialize with other dogs and kids. Keep them as happy and bold as possible.

You know you'd get a better answer if you posted pics, right? :lol:
Yep! All the above. That's also about the age I like to introduce them to a clipwing pigeon or quail. But that part depends on the puppy's personality and boldness.
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

Moulders Farm

Post by Moulders Farm » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:33 pm

Basic puppys games like retreving a ball run in fields every thing on the leash .to lead I interduce my puppys I sell to carded pigions or hobald quail every thing fun with every little pessure . I start them out pointing quail wings but by this time on ot planted quail or pigions . have some one shoot a gun while on piont at a distance . Most of my llewellin setters I will have pointing & shooting & retreving birds by about 4 to 6 mo. all on a leash . A trick Miller tough me is to go out & hide from your puppy tell he comes & find you starting reaol simple , this makes him to start coming back & checking in with you Have fun with him by be the alfa dog

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:25 am

Three months old is time to introduce the pup to a foot long checkcord. Clip it on the pup's collar and let it run around with it. It will soon learn to ignore the fact that it is attached. When it is time for the pup to drag a checkcord in the field, it will be no big deal.

Three months is also time to make the pup acquainted with a tieout. Hook it up in a shady spot, let it fight the chain and learn it cannot win, so it might as well just lay there and relax. That lesson will pay dividends for the pups entire life.

In another month it may be time to introduce the Smith wonder lead and start doing heel/whoa drills, if that is a training method you choose to use, but thow and when you start depends on how well the trainer understands what is needed and how well the pup comes along. Get help with this if you are not sure.

I also start putting pups up on a wobbly bench, stroking them up and getting them to stand calmly and with style. Some use a barrel or a table for this, some do it with the pup on the ground.

No matter what, make whatever you do fun for the pup. keep any lessons short and mix in plenty of play. Make sure the pup will want to be with you and around you. You can hunt effectively with all kinds of dogs, but they have to want to hunt with you and for you, or you got nothin'. So make darn sure that little bugger likes you enough to want to stay with you and come back for you.

Never be in a rush, never lose your temper and never put YOUR timetable on the pup. It will take the pup...as long as it takes.... Deadlines are for humans. Dogs learn at varying rates and their rate of learning is usually connected to and dependent on the skill, experience and workout schedule of the trainer.

RayG

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:37 pm

good stuff that's a little bit more than I'm doing now I will add a few more things thanks for info.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:07 pm

Just checked your profile.

One more thing you can do. Check with your DNR biologists and find out when and perhaps where the woodcock migration comes through your area this fall. There is nothing better in this world for a youngster that is just starting to have their bird senses awakened than to get into a woodcock flight or two...or three. It is amazing what thirty or forty finds an hour will do for a young dog.

Find out now, do some scouting and get some permissions if you can. Be ready when the timberdoodles come your way this fall. Your dog will thank you for it.

RayG

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:20 pm

I also am building a cabin In northern michigan should be done Oct this year pup will have lots of birds to learn on