Skijoring

mnaj_springer

Skijoring

Post by mnaj_springer » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:23 pm

Just wondering who here does Skijoring, mushing, bikejoring, etc? What benefits have you noticed? Finally, do you have any advice for getting started?

Thanks.
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

Gordon Guy

Re: Skijoring

Post by Gordon Guy » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:32 am

I have been Skijoring with my Setters a few times. I have a 2 dog set-up, It's fun. I should do it more. Benefits?... Getting outside and getting exercise in the off (Non-hunting) months. Advise???...Work the dogs into it by letting them pull a sled or someone while you handle the dogs up front on a leash. I haven't trained them to take directions, as in left or right, so when turning it gets kind of crazy. They like to pull. YES THEY DO.

The cross country ski trails may not be the best place to Skijor because the groomed tracks get beaten down by the dogs feet. It'll make everyone behind you have to work a little harder. I would consider back country X-Country ski's which are a little wider and make it easier to ski on unpacked snow.
Tom

Nutmeg247

Post by Nutmeg247 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:34 pm

Biggest advice I'd give is get a bungee when you start -- it makes a noticeable difference in shock to you and the dog.

http://howlingdogalaska.com/ has a good selection of harnesses etc.

I do primarily cani-cross now and less bike-joring because I find it easier to control my dog that way.

On a bike, my biggest advice would be have good disk brakes if possible.

GunDogAdventures

Post by GunDogAdventures » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:05 pm

1 retractable leash
1 short bungee cord
2 dog harnesses
1 short length of chain w/2 snap clips
I loop the bungee through the handle of the leash and attach both ends to the handle bars. I harness up both dogs and snap the end of the chain to each. I then clip the leash to the middle of the chain. It took them a few times before they figured it out, but both now get excited when they see me get out the harnesses. It helps for them to understand basic commands, such as "Whoa" and "Hup" (turn), and we still get tangled up at times, but it is great exercise for them.
A dog on point.....steady, yet trembling,
Breathing in and tasting the gentle breeze.
Take a moment for yourself to soak it all in,
All the training, the hard work.....it really has paid off.

Lily: http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=4
Chevy: http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=6

h&t

Post by h&t » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:40 pm

I love x-c skiing and dogs love winter and pulling, so it's a no brainer.
I use home made harness and dollar store bungee. I bought quick release buckle off e-bay, but haven't used it yet.