First gun dog, about to head to board and train

mboss

First gun dog, about to head to board and train

Post by mboss » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:01 pm

I have a GSP that will be heading to his training with a pro trainer next month. The trainer is the same as the breeder I got him from, it's 2 months on site there. This question may be a moot point by now but, I feel like the pup is ill prepared. This is my first pointer, and first dog I'd use to hunt. He is moderate with basic obedience. He will come, sit, stay, heel for the most part (with exceptions, especially when he's excited) but it does take me a bit of attention to get him honed in. I have to get him on a lead and walk him back and forth a bit before he REALLY starts listening.

I just feel like he is not ready. His drive is through the roof, he's constantly chasing and pointing, but it's a free-for all. Not like he's pointing and holding or anything. He chases whatever flies past in the yard, be it bug, butterfly or sparrow. Is there anything I can really do in the next 4 weeks to prepare him so he's not way behind at his gun training?

aksportsman

Re: First gun dog, about to head to board and train

Post by aksportsman » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:10 pm

How old is this pup?
How familiar are you with the process that the trainer is going to use? If it is still a puppy and you are not familiar with the training steps that this trainer will use then I would say hold off, have fun with the dog and continue to build your relationship with the dog. depending on the trainer and method, you may have done more harm than good with your training already. I say that not to critique you as a trainer but only to make the point that some commands and the way you may have taught them could not apply or confuse the dog when he goes to school.. Take for example sit and stay, those two commands although seemingly basic or essential to you may not be taught by your trainer when learning a command such as whoa the dog could revert to sitting (only an example I know people on this forum have strong opinions on teaching a pointing dog to sit).

Your trainer has likely seen it all when it comes to wild and somewhat disobedient dogs, and fixing that is quite literally his job. So the only training I would do until you take him for training would be that recommended by the trainer himself. Rushing to get the dog ready will probably cause confusion. From the dogs perspective, it'd be like reading the introduction of an instruction manual to driving a boat and learning a portion of it; then getting a car and thinking it drove like a boat relating what you had learned to it... make sense? -

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:25 pm

How old is your dog? Makes a huge difference if he's 4 months old vs. 18 months. Why are you worried about his basic obedience? Is it because you're a little embarrassed to return the dog as he is instead of as a perfectly trained pup? What do you mean by he isn't ready? Ready for what - to leave your home, for the breaking process?

Why not call your trainer and let him know your concerns? Let him help you figure it out.

In general, as long as your trainer isn't a heavy handed control freak, your dog should benefit from his time at school. He'll learn to suck it up and live in a kennel; he'll get plenty of exercise; all that drive will be directed.

mboss

Post by mboss » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:39 pm

Thanks for the replies. To answer the questions:

He is just over 9 months old.

In terms of instructions from the trainer, he really only asked that I NOT use "no" and not teach him "sit" as the first thing he learned. As you said he did not want "sit" to be his default action to get praise. With that said we do not use "no" (I use "off" usually when he's doing something I don't like, which typically is putting his mitts places I don't want them such as the counter or the sofa). "Sit" is really a little more gray area. Trainer asked I not teach him that first, but we could later. He learned come, and heel first, and I didn't really teach him sit. He just does it when we walk. If I stop walking he'll sit and look up at me. I'm not sure if that will hamper the trainer or not.

In honesty he is quite well behaved. He comes pretty well on command in the house and yard, he doesn't chew or destroy things, he doesn't have accidents, and he's well crate trained and goes in his crate on command with no fuss. He's a bit rowdy obviously, and tends to fuss over guests at the house but heck he's a 9 month old dog, I don't think I can expect too much to that end.

I've been making it a point to get up early and walk him for a while in the mornings on his leash to get a bit more alone time with him. He has about a 1/2 acre yard he gets most of his exercise and play time in.

I guess my concern was brining him in and getting a call the second day saying "why on earth can't this dog stack and hold?" He's send along some do's and dont's (don't play tug of war, things like that, which I have honored) but I was just worried I hadn't done enough (any) training besides very obedience with him.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:58 pm

The trainer told you all he thought the dog needed to be prepared, he will do the rest.

I have sent and taken them North that got so excited with the vast country and all the birds that they acted like they didn't know their names, you had to let tire and ride them down to put up. It is all good.

But if you had further questions I would ask the trainer.

Oh, make sure he is UTD on his vaccinations.

MSU Aggie

Post by MSU Aggie » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:37 pm

You're fine. You will be amazed at how different your dog will be when it comes back.

aksportsman

Post by aksportsman » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:39 pm

it sounds like you are ahead of the curve not behind, you have a very very young dog just let him develop and learn at school and don't push any other training Im sure things will go just fine, good luck