Potty Training help!!!!

bongo2363

Potty Training help!!!!

Post by bongo2363 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:41 am

I have a 9 week old gsp and she's been with us for a week and half already. We're having problems with potty training, specifically urinating. It seems that when we take her out, she'll do her duty outside and then 20 minutes later or so, she has an accident in the house. I'm trying to keep a feeding schedule of 3xs per day with water and my vet said to only give water with her food. But then I feel bad after playing outside and will give her some to drink then take it away again. We're both home her all day and she goes out frequently so I'm soooo frustrated and don't know what I'm doing wrong :(
Any help would be appreciated!

ROTTnBRITT

Re: Potty Training help!!!!

Post by ROTTnBRITT » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:23 pm

Take the pup out every 15 minutes then. Dont wait for her to go in the house.

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:49 pm

Do you crate her when you're not paying attention to her? If you do crate her, does she go in the crate?

If she doesn't pee in the crate try putting her in the crate when you're not paying attention to her and when you take her out of the crate take her directly outside to the same spot.

The crate needs to be small enough so that she can't pee in one end and move to the other end.
Tom

bobman

Post by bobman » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:01 pm

She's a baby you can expect to be doing this for another nine weeks
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

bongo2363

Post by bongo2363 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:27 pm

Gordon Guy wrote:Do you crate her when you're not paying attention to her? If you do crate her, does she go in the crate?

If she doesn't pee in the crate try putting her in the crate when you're not paying attention to her and when you take her out of the crate take her directly outside to the same spot.

The crate needs to be small enough so that she can't pee in one end and move to the other end.
I do crate her when I can't watch her but she's so quick sometime even when I'm right there, that I don't even have time to grab her. The good thing is that she has never had an accident in the crate yet. So I'm guessing she may need to go out more frequently. I'm getting better at being calmer about it because I know it's not her fault, it will get better over time, right? :?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:33 pm

You don't crate when you catch them, all that does is make them think the crate is punishment for something. The routine should be:

Play or actively doing something with the pup.
When through pup goes in crate for nap.
If pup acts like it needs to go or anytime you take the pup out of the crate, you go directly outside till the pup relieves itself,
Play or actively do something with the pup.
When through pup goes into crate for a nap.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Munster

Post by Munster » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:54 pm

Im just a little diffrent from ezzy. As we all know there is always more than one way to skin a cat.

When I catch the pup making a mistake, I brow beat them( You bad dog) no physical punishment. I keep in mind that his mistake is partly my own. The pup then goes into the crate, I have NEVER had any ill effects doing this. Partly because I am not doing it in anger or with fear.
After a short nap, I wake the pup and get them outside, wait for potty and then praise right that second..........not back in the house.

I also use a tether and tether the pup with me.

A big step for us was the bell. I have a bell on the door that they learn to use. When I take them outside, I gently run them into the bell and then open the door. After a short time tey pick it up. They can pick it up at 8 weeks. Here is a video.

http://s8.photobucket.com/user/ladybowb ... ort=3&o=11

But, remember, as stated above, this is a very very young pup. I dont TOTALLY trust my pups until 6-8 months old. Then I may let my gaurd down.

Hope it helps.
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

bongo2363

Post by bongo2363 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:36 pm

When she has the accident I pick her up right away, tell her no then take her our right away. I always leash her when I take her out to potty otherwise she'll just run around and play. If she does her duty, I praise with a treat, if nothing after 10 minutes, we go back in. I crate her for a few minutes after outside only if I need to clean up her mess, then let her out. I know the crate is not punishment but I do need a few minutes to sanitize the urine and I always tell her good girl when going in there. I know she's very young but just when you think you've made progress, it backfires.

I thought about the bell but in the last 2 days she scratched at the back door in the evening to go out, but it was just because she wanted to play so now I think she may be getting too smart for a bell already.

Thanks for the tips, no accidents this evening yet :D

twistedoak

Post by twistedoak » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:34 pm

I used a small cow bell during potty training with my WPG.
it worked real well until I installed a dog door ,then I removed it as it wasn't needed.

last year I had to work out of town so I rented a place and took my dog of course.
since I was working nights I split the rent with someone working days.
I hung the bell back up since there was no dog door with instructions that if she rang the bell she had to pee.
about 1 week into it I get a phone call asking if my dog is healthy ,maybe she needs a vet......
seems about every 20 min shes ringing the bell to go pee and its taking her 15-20 min to go..is this normal?
i held back a giggle and told him everything was fine we were just at the vet before leaving ,all the while wondering how long it would take him to figure out the dog had him bell trained

Munster

Post by Munster » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:01 pm

bongo2363 wrote:When she has the accident I pick her up right away, tell her no then take her our right away. I always leash her when I take her out to potty otherwise she'll just run around and play. If she does her duty, I praise with a treat, if nothing after 10 minutes, we go back in. I crate her for a few minutes after outside only if I need to clean up her mess, then let her out. I know the crate is not punishment but I do need a few minutes to sanitize the urine and I always tell her good girl when going in there. I know she's very young but just when you think you've made progress, it backfires.

I thought about the bell but in the last 2 days she scratched at the back door in the evening to go out, but it was just because she wanted to play so now I think she may be getting too smart for a bell already.

Thanks for the tips, no accidents this evening yet :D

Reallly, dont get to wound up about the crate being punishment. I think it is all in how you use it. Just try putting her in it when she makes a mistake, that is after you scold her. Keep her there, by herself for 30 minutes or so, let her outside and wait for potty.

Not sure, but I look at her going out on a leash after her accident as a reward of sorts.

Best thing is be persistent and consistent. Some dogs pick things up right away, some....not so much.

OH, forgot to mention, have you checked her for a UTI? SOmetimes this can be the issue. But I am thinking it is just that she is young. But if you arent making progress, check for UTI. You can use a soup ladel to catch some urine when you take her out in the AM.
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

bongo2363

Post by bongo2363 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:57 am

twistedoak wrote:all the while wondering how long it would take him to figure out the dog had him bell trained
Lol, that's so true, they are slick like that!

bongo2363

Post by bongo2363 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:20 am

[/quote]Reallly, dont get to wound up about the crate being punishment. I think it is all in how you use it. Just try putting her in it when she makes a mistake, that is after you scold her. Keep her there, by herself for 30 minutes or so, let her outside and wait for potty.

Not sure, but I look at her going out on a leash after her accident as a reward of sorts.

Best thing is be persistent and consistent. Some dogs pick things up right away, some....not so much.

OH, forgot to mention, have you checked her for a UTI? SOmetimes this can be the issue. But I am thinking it is just that she is young. But if you arent making progress, check for UTI. You can use a soup ladel to catch some urine when you take her out in the AM.[/quote]

Ok, I'll keep that in mind and she goes to the vet next week for shots and I'll get her checked for UTI.

Today's a new day, let's see how it goes!