Stupid questions from a newly....lol

elkwonder

Post by elkwonder » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:25 pm

I have a new French Brittany pup that I am starting to train and have a quick question. The question pertains to command words WOAH and HERE. Does anyone use other words for these commands like possibly....STEADY and COME...? Only reason I am asking is because WOAH sounds a lot like NO and HERE sounds a lot like HEEL. I have to use HEEL and I have to use NO, but I can't see why COME wouldn't be less confusing instead or here. Also STEADY seems to be a nice alternative for WOAH....?? Any help would be great as I am really thinking about using these words for my pup's command words instead of the more conventional ones. Thanks for any help here....

bobman

Re: Stupid questions from a newly....lol

Post by bobman » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:56 pm

I use come instead of here I don't see anything wrong with it .

However whoa can be said with much more emphasis than the word steady. Whoa is not necessarily used around birds in fact probably should hardly ever be used around birds it's a command keep your dog from approaching a rattlesnake or running out in front of a car ...an emergency command.

I use ah ah ah instead of no.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:59 pm

My word for no is stop. But honestly the tone of voice is more important than the word it self.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:05 pm

I use "stop" for whoa--my buddy uses "stay" for whoa. I use "here"--another buddy uses "come". You can use any word you want for a command :roll: , but make it a word that is easily said & heard by the dog. :D

Kellym

Post by Kellym » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:06 pm

Use anything you want but I would stick to one syllable words

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:16 am

I think you would find that words people use as commands are words that mean something to them to describe what they want the dog to do. I've never had trouble with a dog understanding the difference between whoa and no.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

bobman

Post by bobman » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:26 am

last time I was in Europe the GSP in France understood French and the GSP I saw in Holland understood Dutch....I cant understand either one :lol:
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:29 am

elkwonder wrote:I have a new French Brittany pup that I am starting to train and have a quick question. The question pertains to command words WOAH and HERE. Does anyone use other words for these commands like possibly....STEADY and COME...? Only reason I am asking is because WOAH sounds a lot like NO and HERE sounds a lot like HEEL. I have to use HEEL and I have to use NO, but I can't see why COME wouldn't be less confusing instead or here. Also STEADY seems to be a nice alternative for WOAH....?? Any help would be great as I am really thinking about using these words for my pup's command words instead of the more conventional ones. Thanks for any help here....
Heel and Here usually mean the same thing so its ok if the dog mixes them up cuz it should be the same outcome. I think most people change the word "NO" to "ah" in the pointing dog world.
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:06 am

Heel and here do not mean the same thing unless you always teach your dog to heel right away on a recall. Heel and here could be interchanged though. here and heel are a place, heel next to you in a specified spot. Here does not always specify a spot other than near you. Come and heel could be used the same way!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:52 am

I agree with the others. Use whatever one syllable word you are comfortable with. If you are consistent in the application, the dog will connect the dots.

FWIW a whole lot of folks(myself included) use a variation on WHUUUUP, where the command is drawn out, both(I think) for recognition of the command and for emphasis. You can add a lot of energy to the command in that way, as well as give the dog a half second or so to identify, mentally process and and respond to the command.

Use what works for you, what you are comfortable with. The dog will figure it out. Just be consistent, insistent, patient and persistent. Be a leader.

I know you probably already know this, but I gotta say it, so forgive me if I am repeating something you already know.

Whatever commands you settle on, get in the habit of issuing that command ONCE and only once. Repeating the command teaches the dog that they can ignore it the first(or however many) time(s) you issue the command. Give the command and if the dog does not comply, correct the dog . If you are not in a position to correct the dog...don't issue the command in the first place.

Checkcords are wonderful things for a puppy to drag around.

RayG

mhprecht

Post by mhprecht » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:11 pm

I use the word "quit" for no and the word "off" to get off the bed or couch or whatever. Avoids confusion with "whoa" and "down".

Schatz's Pop

Post by Schatz's Pop » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:46 am

elkwonder wrote:I have a new French Brittany pup that I am starting to train and have a quick question. The question pertains to command words WOAH and HERE. Does anyone use other words for these commands like possibly....STEADY and COME...? Only reason I am asking is because WOAH sounds a lot like NO and HERE sounds a lot like HEEL. I have to use HEEL and I have to use NO, but I can't see why COME wouldn't be less confusing instead or here. Also STEADY seems to be a nice alternative for WOAH....?? Any help would be great as I am really thinking about using these words for my pup's command words instead of the more conventional ones. Thanks for any help here....
"Whoa" is so universal my breeder told me to use another word for "No", the reverse of what you are asking. Keep the Whoa and use stop or something else for "no". I use the german word "nine" for no. It's just as sharp and I knew Ild be using a professional trainer in the future who would stick to traditional gun dog commands like whoa.

Just a thought.

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:05 am

you can use what ever word you wont. if you could speak French you could say whoa and the dog would learn what it means

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:43 pm

setterpoint wrote:you can use what ever word you wont. if you could speak French you could say whoa and the dog would learn what it means
A trainer I know will issue his commands in a low gravelly voice that sounds an awful lot like he is growling.

That throaty, growly voice sure does seem to get their attention, regardless of the actual command.

Bet it would work the same in any language.

RayG