female in heat

art hubbard

female in heat

Post by art hubbard » Tue May 19, 2015 3:41 pm

what do you all think about training a female that is in heat? good idea or not ?

Meller

Re: female in heat

Post by Meller » Tue May 19, 2015 5:06 pm

Depends on the dog, some it doe's not seem to be a big deal and others it seems to bother; Just have to try and see!

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Tue May 19, 2015 5:59 pm

If it doesn't affect there is no reason to stop training. Some females get a bit funny and scatter brained, others don't seem any different. Take her out and you'll know fairly quickly whether or not you should train.
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

twistedoak

Post by twistedoak » Wed May 20, 2015 12:39 pm

I think it depends on where your training also..
if its private land I don't see a problem.
if its land that others also use ,you might want to think it over.
not only could you draw unwanted attention it could also ruin the area for a few days for others

art hubbard

Post by art hubbard » Wed May 20, 2015 3:43 pm

All private, no other dogs

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Wed May 20, 2015 6:30 pm

There are almost always problems, but you need to train through them. They are still expected to do their jobs. Females tend to synch up, once went on a hunting trip with 4 females in season. Kept them separate from the males and hunted them.

Neil

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Thu May 21, 2015 2:59 pm

Not sure what kind of training you may be doing and what you are trying to accomplish. Field trial dog, pet hunter companion ????

Over the years the stress of training normally keeps my girls from coming in season. Or it alters there schedule so to speak. But when they do come in I give that time off. Training is a stressful routine for a dog to over come and being in season is internally a stressful period of time in addition to the stress of training. Normally being in season for my girls it is a good time to take a break!
I'm 100% in favor of LGBT - Liberty, Guns, Bacon and Trump.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Thu May 21, 2015 6:33 pm

gundogguy wrote:Not sure what kind of training you may be doing and what you are trying to accomplish. Field trial dog, pet hunter companion ????

Over the years the stress of training normally keeps my girls from coming in season. Or it alters there schedule so to speak. But when they do come in I give that time off. Training is a stressful routine for a dog to over come and being in season is internally a stressful period of time in addition to the stress of training. Normally being in season for my girls it is a good time to take a break!
Were you just a trainer, and looking for some time off, that might make some sense.

But for the rest of us it is not realistic. I don't often equate dogs to humans, but I can't imagine giving allowance to a woman one week of a month. The females must learn to work through it, canine and human.

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Fri May 22, 2015 6:44 am

Neil wrote:
gundogguy wrote:

. I don't often equate dogs to humans, but I can't imagine giving allowance to a woman one week of a month. The females must learn to work through it, canine and human.
Thanks Neil for such solid behavioral insights. the bitches that I worked with only came into heat every 6-9 months, if that, per year.
I never had any bitches come in on a monthly basis, if i had i would never given them a break I would have kept right on training.
I'm 100% in favor of LGBT - Liberty, Guns, Bacon and Trump.

chrokeva

Post by chrokeva » Fri May 22, 2015 7:16 am

My dog came into her first heat just a few days ago at 14 months old. At the same time I was told yesterday that she very possible will need to have a force fetch done on her at this point of her training due to some of the more advanced work we are getting into now. I personally have decided not to start this type of training (force fetch) until after she has come out of heat. I want everything going my way and do not think difficult training with a dog in heat is a way to do that.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Fri May 22, 2015 7:22 am

gundogguy wrote:
Neil wrote:
gundogguy wrote:

. I don't often equate dogs to humans, but I can't imagine giving allowance to a woman one week of a month. The females must learn to work through it, canine and human.
Thanks Neil for such solid behavioral insights. the bitches that I worked with only came into heat every 6-9 months, if that, per year.
I never had any bitches come in on a monthly basis, if i had i would never given them a break I would have kept right on training.
Do you know what equate means? We all know most dogs come in season twice a year, usually for 12 - 15 days. I do not think it necessary, or even advantageous, to give them the time off.