Which of these e-collars would you choose?

Which one of these e-collars would you choose?

Garmin Alpha
25%
Garmin Delta Sport XC
No votes
Garmin Upland XC
No votes
Garmin Pro 70
4%
Garmin Pro 550
57%
SportDog TEK 2.0
No votes
SportDog SportHunter 825
7%
SportDog SportHunter 1225
No votes
SportDog SportHunter 1825
4%
SportDog UplandHunter 1875
No votes
SportDog ProHunter 2525
4%

Total votes: 28

love2hunt

Post by love2hunt » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:20 pm

I have a connection to get discounted SportDog and Garmin products, but I'm having trouble deciding on which one of their collars to get. With the discount, I can afford to get any one of these.

Here's my scenario:

- I have one dog (19-week old Llewellin) right now, but anticipate adding more dogs in the next 2-3 years
- I currently live in AZ, but may be moving back to VA this fall (just to give you an idea of terrain)
- I have experience using e-collars and I'm tech-savvy, so ease-of-use is not a huge worry
- I plan on using the HuntSmith training DVD's

Don't know if any of those help, but either way, which one should I go with?
love2hunt

twistedoak

Re: Which of these e-collars would you choose?

Post by twistedoak » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:26 pm

it really depends on what the collar main use is.

if your looking for training and timing is critical use a sportdog.

if the dog is basicly trained and looking for a more universal tool get an alpha

love2hunt

Post by love2hunt » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:30 pm

twistedoak wrote:it really depends on what the collar main use is.

if your looking for training and timing is critical use a sportdog.

if the dog is basicly trained and looking for a more universal tool get an alpha
My dog is not trained at all, besides here and kennel. SportDog is better over Garmin for timing?
love2hunt

MSU Aggie

Post by MSU Aggie » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:59 pm

Since you said the dog is not trained yet go with the Pro 550. Great training tool, multi dog capable, beeper accessory.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:06 pm

I use the Garmin Pro 70. It is reasonably priced. It does every thing I need for training. You can add all the receivers you want up to six....................Cj

love2hunt

Post by love2hunt » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:31 pm

cjhills wrote:I use the Garmin Pro 70. It is reasonably priced. It does every thing I need for training. You can add all the receivers you want up to six....................Cj
MSU Aggie wrote:Since you said the dog is not trained yet go with the Pro 550. Great training tool, multi dog capable, beeper accessory.
Looks like the Garmin Pro line is the one. With the discount, the 500 model is reasonable for me as well. Out of curiosity, why not the Alpha? Too complicated to use while doing initial training?
love2hunt

chrisss

Post by chrisss » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:29 pm

If your training go with the pro550. The alpha gets a little to complicated for training imo

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:02 am

love2hunt -

Here is my perspective, FWIW.

Training a dog is ALL about timing. If you are using a checkcord to make a correction or issue a cue, you need to do it at the exact instant the dog deviates...for maximum effectiveness and minimal pressure.

If you are using an e-collar, the same applies. You need to apply the stim at the instant, the precise instant that the dog deviates, in order to maximize the effectiveness of the cue or correction with the minimum amount of pressure.

If you have to pick up the unit, look at a screen and then select a button... that instant, that oppofrtunity to train... is long gone.

If you are training a dog, the KISS principle is operant, I thin k

I have a and use a 20+ year old Tritronics Flyway Special. It hangs on my side, right where my hand is, in a holster. It has three stim buttons on the barrel (I typically use the same one button most all the time)) and an intensity selector knob on top. I can reach down, feel the button I need and hit it without ever taking my eyes off the dog.

THAT is what you should be aiming for when looking at an electronic training device. Just one man's opinion.

I have tracking devices also, but they are a separate unit.

RayG

twistedoak

Post by twistedoak » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:01 am

the alpha is a great unit , its just slow to make adjustments on.
however if you have a conditioned dog the alpha gives you much more in the long run,
its a stand alone gps unit and does anything and I mean anything a standard gps unit does.

the collar half allows dog gps tracking and logging as well as lights and tone features in addition too the e collar functions.
its e collar functions best as a maintenance type unit on dogs that are pretty much trained already.

adding collars is easy ,you can even add your buddy's dog for the day and vise versa if he uses an alpha also.
heck you can even send messages over the dang things

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:33 am

I have the pro 550 it has lower stimulation levels which I prefer for training
the alpha I won't purchase as I in training want control over what I need when I need it and digital faced collars are the worst for that part of timing and specially if you have to take your eyes off your dog for any extended period of time. Plus if anything does go wrong you are now down both collars
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:11 pm

The one I like is not on the list. Dogtra 2502B/T
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

love2hunt

Post by love2hunt » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:21 pm

Thank you guys for the input! I had read other similar comments about having to mess with the screen, but wasn't sure if it was as big a deal as they made it out to be. Looks like it is.

Sharon, I don't get a discount on Dogtra, so that's why it isn't on there.

Knine, are you running an Astro and Pro 550 on your dogs instead?
love2hunt

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:12 am

Take RayG's advice. It's solid.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:26 am

If you can have a training collar and a gps unit buy a collar for training. However I have a pup that is out of sight part of the time. Knowing where she is sure is nice. The alpha has 3 mechanical buttons that are right above the screen that are programmable for tone, continuous, or momentary with 16 levels of stim. They are easy to find without looking down. You can customize the buttons for 3 levels of continuous or what ever you want. Lock the screen and train. People get used to what they use and don't like to change. If you need more than 3 levels of stim you sure can't look down and change anything fast enough to do you any good. You can mark your truck for finding it again. Use the tone for recall. Check altitude. Get a compass heading. Check how far your dog ran. Have an arrow pointing at each dog and distance to dog. The alpha will do a ton I wouldn't rule it out.

Greg J

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:19 am

The alpha default is one button continuous one momentary one tone and on screen changing level. This certainly doesn't work for training. You have to customize the buttons for training.

Greg J