Help with the hand off

Smith&wesson

Help with the hand off

Post by Smith&wesson » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:15 pm

Hello I have a fox red lab he is almost 1 year old and he is great with retrieving and I just started with giving Him directions and hand signals and teaching him to get in his spot. At first when he brought the bumpers to me he would just drop them at my feet but I have taught him to put them in my hand. What I have noticed is that when he brings it to me he will bobble it around in his mouth before I take it as if he is trying to get me to take it faster. I don't want him To retrieve a bird and have him chew up the meat before it gets to me. Does anyone know of anyway to get him to stop bobbling it around in his mouth. I have tried to teach him the hold command but it seems like he just doesn't understand what I want. Is this even a problem to worry about? How do I fix It.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Re: Help with the hand off

Post by Trekmoor » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:47 am

I think I'd try him on cold game first before I messed about with his mouth..... you could make a problem where there isn't one.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:56 am

Smith&wesson wrote:Is this even a problem to worry about?
No

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:48 am

What kind of bumper is it? I've noticed some dogs do this with hard rubber bumpers, but stop when a freshly killed bird is in their mouths.
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:28 am

How did you train him to this point? Did you follow any certain program?

EvanG
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr
The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
Official Evan Graham Retriever Training Forum

Smith&wesson

Post by Smith&wesson » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:34 am

mnaj_springer wrote:What kind of bumper is it? I've noticed some dogs do this with hard rubber bumpers, but stop when a freshly killed bird is in their mouths.
I use a rubber bumper and a canvas bumper. I have used pheasant wings on the canvas bumper with the same results.

Smith&wesson

Post by Smith&wesson » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:36 am

EvanG wrote:How did you train him to this point? Did you follow any certain program?

EvanG
I have not followed any program. I started out with basic commands then Worked with retrieving and then worked in him getting it to my hand.

Swampbilly

Post by Swampbilly » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:06 pm

Dogs that don't quite understand all the mechanics of a hand delivery will, upon approaching the handler on a return, "bobble" an object in it's mouth in preparation to release it- ...where ever it wants to.
Five commands come to mind-
HERE, (and then HEEL by your side and SIT),
HOLD
&
DROP.