Pointer- tips?

mnaj_springer

Pointer- tips?

Post by mnaj_springer » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:46 pm

I just acquired a 7 month old English pointer in a "rescue" type situation (divorce). The previous owner did little bird work and little training. She's a healthy, happy dog, seems to like me and made a connection with me. Before taking her I looked at her a few times. I've personally seen her point (by scent) a half dozen pigeons. She also retrieves to hand naturally.

Going forward I plan to expose her to more birds (pigeons then wild birds after nesting season is done), give her experience, introduce guns, and some basic obedience (come and heel). And then I'll work from there depending on how she does.

Any other suggestions?
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Pointer- tips?

Post by Sharon » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:15 pm

Sounds like you have a winner you can work with. I'd follow a program if unsure of what you are doing. Doesn't matter if the dog is older; you can still start at the beginning of the program. ( Perfect Start. Perfect Finish google)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:22 pm

Thanks Sharon. That's what I figured I should do. I also assume at some point I will run into a problem or bad habit formed when she was younger.
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:41 am

She sounds like a very worthwhile pup.... I'll swap you 3 tearaway cockers for her ! :lol: You will have a great time with her.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:10 am

Depending on the breeding, pointers can have a considerable amount of "run" in them. I do not know what you have, and I suspect you may not either. Yet.

I would make very sure you have a good recall installed and until you do, I would not let the dog run unfettered in places where it could get into trouble.

I have always found that if a dog likes me it will want to stay with me and come back for me. Do whatever you can to become best friends with that dog.

One of the very best drills I do in the yard is a heel/whoa drill, after the manner of Paul Long, except that I use a wonder lead instead of a looped checkcord.

RayG

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:06 am

I'm with Ray here - a solid recall would be very important for this dog. Many of the rescues I've worked with seem to have issues with recall. I would also focus the next couple of months on uber-socialization. Take her everywhere with you - she may or may not be well socialized. I would get her exposed to everything to make sure that she has a good foundation.

DudeRN

Post by DudeRN » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:57 am

excellent advice. getting your dog to bond with you will be job #1 I think. good luck!

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:06 pm

Thanks for all the advice! Today the in-laws dropped off their lab for us to watch and the funniest thing happened... They played for a bit then we saw her pointing/stalking their lab! I couldn't help but laugh :D

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:35 pm

sounds like you got a nice pup. the bonding thing is first as said already. and I would say this dog may back natural. when the pup is ready take her for walks off leash where you can see her when the dog gets out a bit call and change your direction this will teach the dog to hunt with you. sounds like pup has a lot of point in it also