Pup sitting on wings and trash birds

D&C

Pup sitting on wings and trash birds

Post by D&C » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:42 pm

Been hiding the odd grouse wings through out my yard for the pup as well he gets a 2 hr play explore walk in the field daily.Last couple days when he finds the wings and thrash birds in the field he barks then sits down.The "bleep" birds in the back yard at the feeder he barked and sat so I walked away and went in the house and he sat there staring for a good 15 mins while I watched from the kitchen window.I got a couple live pigeons from my buddy and had them in a cage and he done the same thing.barked then sat.I tried holding his back side up while looking at the birds but he just wanted to sit.Looking for some advice to correct this or will he out grow this ? Pup is almost 4 months old.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Pup sitting on wings and trash birds

Post by Sharon » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:35 pm

He's only 4 months. He doesn't know what else to do yet. Give him time. Be happy that birds interest him.:)
Personally I wouldn't be planting any wings. Have you decided on a programme to use if you are inexperienced?

Is this a lab pup or the Brittany pup?

You don't train a pointing breed like a lab.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

D&C

Post by D&C » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:40 pm

Sharon wrote:He's only 4 months. He doesn't know what else to do yet. Give him time. Be happy that birds interest him.:)
Personally I wouldn't be planting any wings. Have you decided on a programme to use if you are inexperienced?

Is this a lab pup or the Brittany pup?

You don't train a pointing breed like a lab.

Sharon he is a Brittany (sorry I didn't mention that in the post).I only plant the wings up high and he never sees them as I don't want to create sight pointing and I have never done the wing on a string and I never will (personal choice) I am not really following a program .He has the basic commands down pat and some whistle training. I"m just letting him explore and be a puppy and my buddy who has a Brittany is going to give me a hand.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:25 am

+ 1 to the above.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

twistedoak

Post by twistedoak » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:13 pm

at 4 months old , I wouldn't worry .

I would stop using bird parts ,the dog is old enough to meet his first real bird though.
I would pick up a few quail if possible.
pull a few feathers and let the pup have at it ,let him run and chase it and have a good old time.
learning birds are fun is the best for him at this stage

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:25 pm

D&C, You have been given good advice by Sharon. If you really want to correct the sitting problem listen to her. I can think of no reason to hide wings for a puppy that age, and especially up high. It is only natural as it looks up for the rear to go down. But more importantly, why would you teach a puppy to hunt for things up in bushes or where ever instead on the ground? My advice is just back off. I have never found a problem with sight pointing as well as smelling and I have never found that one hinders the other. For a matter of fact you are going to have to teach sight pointing if you are going to break the pup to be steady to flush.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

D&C

Post by D&C » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:32 pm

Thankyou everyone I will follow your advice . As for putting the wings up high I thought I was doing a good thing because here we have no fields I hunt alder bottoms and the willows sit in them .

D&C

Post by D&C » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:06 pm

Just an Update.Pup is now 6 months old today and he is doing great. I had a lot of PMs from my first posts and received a lot of good from them.
I'm on here daily reading all the older forums and present as a lot of the questions I have are there and answered .Anyway I am learning so much and hope one day I can jump in and maybe answer some questions . Posting a pic of the pup pointing today not sitting lol.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.