Deutsch Drahthaar Training

randomnut

Deutsch Drahthaar Training

Post by randomnut » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:36 pm

Hey folks! I've been lurking a few weeks and just got authorized to post. I'm from NW Arkansas.

I will be getting a DD pup here in the middle of March. I haven't trained any dogs before, and am a bit overwhelmed at what is involved to train a DD to be able to perform well in the tests.

My main focus will be bird hunting, mainly quail. I would love to have a dog the is actually "versatile", but as said, I'm unsure of how to achieve this.

I have looked into the NAVHDA, but I found no chapters near me. Any advice you folks could give would be appreciated.

mtlhdr

Re: Deutsch Drahthaar Training

Post by mtlhdr » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:19 pm

There's a strong DD contingent on the versatiledogs.com forum. Register over there and spend some time searching old posts.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:16 pm

Welcome to the forum. You are in for the ride of your life. :) Suggest you start reading up.

suggestions:

Point! by Horace Lytle

Perfect Start. Perfect Finish . google

Huntsmith (google).. puppy development dvd and the silent command system

Training with Mo ( google)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:58 pm

randomnut wrote:Hey folks! I've been lurking a few weeks and just got authorized to post. I'm from NW Arkansas.

I will be getting a DD pup here in the middle of March. I haven't trained any dogs before, and am a bit overwhelmed at what is involved to train a DD to be able to perform well in the tests.

My main focus will be bird hunting, mainly quail. I would love to have a dog the is actually "versatile", but as said, I'm unsure of how to achieve this.

I have looked into the NAVHDA, but I found no chapters near me. Any advice you folks could give would be appreciated.
The few responses have been solid and helpful. Now...
If this is your 1st sporting dog to train i would expect that your breeders know this as well. If they are trainers and you have not been to at least a couple of training sessions I suggest you force the issue and go and train with them.. If they are not trainers but talk a good game walk...no run away from the situation. If they are trainers then pick their brains for all they are worth and train with them at every opportunity . They, the breeder will know your pup better than any forum or group of strangers that may mean well but have know idea what your breeding is about. Personally I would be embarrassed beyond belief if one of my pup buying clients went to a forum for advice and insights into training a pup i was the breeder of.
Rely on your breeder, if you cannot get help there get the pup some where else. Best of luck! :)
I'm 100% in favor of LGBT - Liberty, Guns, Bacon and Trump.

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:10 pm

Relax and have fun, do your reading.

When I got mine folks said let your puppy be a puppy, I did not get the comment at the time, I think I do now. The first year is not so much about training as it is about exposure. Exposure to field , forest, water, birds and guns, now don’t get me wrong some training starts at day one, regular pet OB and some field stuff but it’s not the focus.

Next spring and summer will be the heavy lifting training wise so you have time.

And don’t forget the pet type socializing, lots of people, lots of other dogs .

Things I would do now

Find some hunting like ground that is puppy sized that you can regularly walk through, if it has birds you are pretty much set.

Same thing for puppy sized water

If you have the space start a pigeon loft, the further from training grounds the better the pigeons you will need, but I found them worth the effort.

randomnut

Post by randomnut » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:52 pm

Thanks for all the responses folks.

I have yet to talk to the breeder about training much. He did give some advice, but let me know that he does not know everything about training. He assured me there would be plenty of support and training days. I missed one 2 weeks ago, but I hope to attend the next.

The pup will spend his days with me, going from one job to the next. Spending time around lots of folks, noises, animals, situations etc. There will be plenty of time to be a pup, and with summer coming, lots of water and camping.

mtlhdr

Post by mtlhdr » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:37 pm

Joan Bailey's "How to help gundogs train themselves" is also an excellent resource.
gundogguy wrote: If they are trainers then pick their brains for all they are worth and train with them at every opportunity . They, the breeder will know your pup better than any forum or group of strangers that may mean well but have know idea what your breeding is about.
Good post GDG, too often that goes without saying.

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:57 pm

Congrats on your new pup. If you are interested in training your dog I would suggest joining the VDD and attending some of the tests this spring and fall. There will also be training days and seminars offered for handlers. If you are getting a pup from a good breeder they should be a huge asset in helping you with the training process. Which litter are you getting a pup out of?
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com

randomnut

Post by randomnut » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:54 pm

quote Drahthaar="Georgia Boy"]Congrats on your new pup. If you are interested in training your dog I would suggest joining the VDD and attending some of the tests this spring and fall. There will also be training days and seminars offered for handlers. If you are getting a pup from a good breeder they should be a huge asset in helping you with the training process. Which litter are you getting a pup out of?[/quote]

B litter from v.d. hellen Flachen Drahthaars

StevenDD

Post by StevenDD » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:42 pm

randomnut wrote:B litter from v.d. hellen Flachen Drahthaars
Rob is a friend of mine. I also live in NWA. One of my employees, also a first time owner, will have a littermate. We're building him a coop and he has fields to train in in Avoca. There is also a very experienced friend of mine coming over from the NSTRA world to get his first DD, another littermate to yours. He's also in NWA. I've got birds and fields at my place in Tontitown area. PM me and I can help you and connect you with these other guys. It's really the perfect situation having several of you guys with littermates close by who can start a little training group together and have plenty of help from a few of us in the region with experience.

I also train with the Oklahoma NAVHDA chapter most months. You will be welcome to throw the pup in with me and go over. I'm getting a pup of my own in May.

Be sure to join VDD-GNA and come out to our Annual Meeting that will be held the weekend of April 11th in Bentonville & Huntsville. In fact, I'm putting together a couple door prizes that will be given to a new member who attends. Mud River training bag donated by Mud River and contents donated by the DD breeders in Arkansas.