Problems with Force Fetch?

Turkeytrot29

Problems with Force Fetch?

Post by Turkeytrot29 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:49 pm

I been working with a recent 4 yr old black lab I adopted from a plantation several months ago (Remmy). Remmy was supposedly the plantation duck dog, but no one has took the time to train with him recently. He's got most of the formal obedience down other than "place". If I walk to where I want him to place he does great, but wont place on command from a distance. Now onto to the Force Fetch problem....I began working Force Fetch with him and he's bucking bad! I've just started the early stages. I place my glove hand in the mouth, he stops resisting, then I instantly remove my hand. The problem is, he never stops resisting. He bucks, squirms, and everything else you can think of. He's not necessarily a pup either, he's about 85 lbs and strong as an ox when he wants to be. I been following Tom Dokkens book as far as the training goes, but I'm definitely very new to this and looking for any suggestions to help? While doing the Force Fetch I've got him elevated on a platform, but I do not have him constrained in any way. I also know with this weekend is the last weekend of duck season, and I'm wondering if I should try to take him on at least one hunt and see how he does? Just didn't know if that wold interfere with the Force Fetch program? Thanks in advance!

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Re: Problems with Force Fetch?

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:50 pm

Hunt him and see what you have. You aren't far enough in ff to hurt anything.

ADOPTED four year old lab......you have your hand's full.

How in the world was he the plantation duck dog if he isn't trained?
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Turkeytrot29

Post by Turkeytrot29 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:03 pm

Well, long story...but short version is I got the dog from a good friend of mine that started managing the plantation. He only knew what he was told from the previous employee. He was informed the lab was the dog they used to hunt ducks on the plantation. He had to do something with the dog quick, because he didn't have the time to work him. The owner wanted the GSP's quail hunted as much as possible at the time.Being as my buddy knew he wouldn't have time to work with the dog, he called me. That's how I "adopted" him. He's been great with obedience, but I noticed immediately he wasn't crazy about bringing a retrieve to your hand. That's why i figured best thing to do was get started with a good program, then Force Fetch. Like I said I'm very new to the training, but the dog seems to act like he's got potential.

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:28 pm

Turkeytrot29 wrote:I been working with a recent 4 yr old black lab I adopted from a plantation several months ago (Remmy). Remmy was supposedly the plantation duck dog, but no one has took the time to train with him recently. He's got most of the formal obedience down other than "place". If I walk to where I want him to place he does great, but wont place on command from a distance. Now onto to the Force Fetch problem....I began working Force Fetch with him and he's bucking bad! I've just started the early stages. I place my glove hand in the mouth, he stops resisting, then I instantly remove my hand. The problem is, he never stops resisting. He bucks, squirms, and everything else you can think of. He's not necessarily a pup either, he's about 85 lbs and strong as an ox when he wants to be. I been following Tom Dokkens book as far as the training goes, but I'm definitely very new to this and looking for any suggestions to help? While doing the Force Fetch I've got him elevated on a platform, but I do not have him constrained in any way. I also know with this weekend is the last weekend of duck season, and I'm wondering if I should try to take him on at least one hunt and see how he does? Just didn't know if that wold interfere with the Force Fetch program? Thanks in advance!
I suggest better training material to start with. More detail, more depth and a broader program that will give you a far better chance to finish out this older dog into a real gundog. Get him on real birds, and don't allow bad habits to form.

EvanG
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr
The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
Official Evan Graham Retriever Training Forum

Turkeytrot29

Post by Turkeytrot29 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:37 pm

Better training material? What would you suggest? I looked around prior to purchasing Tom Dokkens book, but seemed as if everyone had different opinions, so I went with one I heard/read good things about. There again though, the neewbie shines through and through! Haha!

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:59 pm

The man that just posted, Evan, has the most complete and easy to understand program on the market, plus you can email him questions or ask him on here. He might no say it, but it's the best program out there and one that has been in use for over 40 years now.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:32 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:The man that just posted, Evan, has the most complete and easy to understand program on the market, plus you can email him questions or ask him on here. He might no say it, but it's the best program out there and one that has been in use for over 40 years now.
+1. Get the program and follow it. It is the best out there for the type of dog and problem you have!

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

BVK

Post by BVK » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:57 pm

+2!!

Turkeytrot29

Post by Turkeytrot29 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:20 pm

So which one of Evans videos would any you guys recommend? Which do I need to start with?

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:29 pm

Smart fetch

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Turkeytrot29

Post by Turkeytrot29 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:58 pm

I appreciate all the responses. I'll look into getting the smart fetch and going through it. Any ideas on where would be the best place to purchase the set?

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:18 am

There is a link to Evan's website right at the bottom of his post to you. Follow it. You can also pm evan for his suggestions.