Which program do you reccomend?

Eycee1

Which program do you reccomend?

Post by Eycee1 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:22 pm

I've got a 9 and a half week old black lab puppy named "Scout" at home and i'm wondering which program you guys reccomend to follow. I hunt both waterfowl and upland. I have been researching which programs I would like to follow so I have some structure in what I am doing. I'm not looking to make her a champion, but also not looking to do this halfway so i'm dedicated and jumping in with both feet!! lol. I just want her to be a happy family/hunting dog who is obedient and enjoys hunting and following commands. I am taking the praise approach so far, I do not like the idea of using treats to train a dog and she has been responding rather well so far. I will also be looking to join the Suffolk County Retriever Trials Club.

I have been leaning towards Tom Dokkens series with his Hard Cover and DVD series as a starting point but have heard mixed things about his program and may also read and watch Bill Hillman and get the 10 min retriever from the Dahls. If anyone has used and had success with these programs from these authors/trainers I would love to hear your feedback.

I also have heard alot of people say Evan Graham is the way to go, and I like the fact that he is on this forum!!! But too bad all his DVD sets are out of stock everywhere i've looked. If anyone reccomends anything else they liked i'm all ears.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to learning for everyone here.

-Frank

gundogguy

Re: Which program do you reccomend?

Post by gundogguy » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:09 pm

Eycee1 wrote:I've got a 9 and a half week old black lab puppy named "Scout" at home and i'm wondering which program you guys reccomend to follow. I hunt both waterfowl and upland. I have been researching which programs I would like to follow so I have some structure in what I am doing. I'm not looking to make her a champion, but also not looking to do this halfway so i'm dedicated and jumping in with both feet!! lol. I just want her to be a happy family/hunting dog who is obedient and enjoys hunting and following commands. I am taking the praise approach so far, I do not like the idea of using treats to train a dog and she has been responding rather well so far. I will also be looking to join the Suffolk County Retriever Trials Club.

I have been leaning towards Tom Dokkens series with his Hard Cover and DVD series as a starting point but have heard mixed things about his program and may also read and watch Bill Hillman and get the 10 min retriever from the Dahls. If anyone has used and had success with these programs from these authors/trainers I would love to hear your feedback.

I also have heard alot of people say Evan Graham is the way to go, and I like the fact that he is on this forum!!! But too bad all his DVD sets are out of stock everywhere i've looked. If anyone reccomends anything else they liked i'm all ears.

-Frank

Frank Contact Evan directly send him a PM Evan Graham
I'm 100% in favor of LGBT - Liberty, Guns, Bacon and Trump.

Eycee1

Post by Eycee1 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:30 pm

gundogguy wrote:
Eycee1 wrote:I've got a 9 and a half week old black lab puppy named "Scout" at home and i'm wondering which program you guys reccomend to follow. I hunt both waterfowl and upland. I have been researching which programs I would like to follow so I have some structure in what I am doing. I'm not looking to make her a champion, but also not looking to do this halfway so i'm dedicated and jumping in with both feet!! lol. I just want her to be a happy family/hunting dog who is obedient and enjoys hunting and following commands. I am taking the praise approach so far, I do not like the idea of using treats to train a dog and she has been responding rather well so far. I will also be looking to join the Suffolk County Retriever Trials Club.

-Frank

Frank Contact Evan directly send him a PM Evan Graham
Ok great thanks for the reply!! i'll send him a message. Did you use his program?

I may grab the Avery Duck Dog Basics DVD with Chris Akins also as a starting point. Seems like a pretty reputable guy, especially if Evans program is still out of stock.

Eycee1

Post by Eycee1 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:44 pm

I contacted Evan, he seems like a great and genuine guy and responded very quickly and helped me out. He spoke to Steve and his program is now back in stock on gun dog supply so I just ordered the full program!! I look forward to receive and start his program!! Thanks for suggesting that I contact his directly it had def. paid off.

SwitchGrassWPG

Post by SwitchGrassWPG » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:14 am

We don't own cookie cutter dogs, so why follow cookie cutter programs. Read and review as many programs as possible and figure out what parts of each work best for you and your dog. There is no one right way to train a dog...
Only thing worse than a bad dog is no dog at all...

http://www.switchgrasswpg.com

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:47 am

SwitchGrassWPG wrote:We don't own cookie cutter dogs, so why follow cookie cutter programs...
Which are the cookie cutter programs? Which ones do you know thoroughly enough to make that judgment of?

EvanG
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr
The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
Official Evan Graham Retriever Training Forum

Rik

Post by Rik » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:37 pm

I have trained two Chessies ( and yes, they a bit difficult, too smart and they all want to be the alpha) to retreive waterfowl and flush upland birds using George Hickox's "Training the Upland Retriever".

I augmented the flusher training with the Frank Graham retrieving program. Neither are 'cookie cutter' programs but I think the Hicokox program provides a great knowledge on how dogs think and an excellent approach to training flushing dogs, but is light on waterfowl retreiving. Graham is excellent on waterfowl retrieving but not intended to train flushers.

I agree with switch grass: Study all the programs you can find, match up the approaches and techniques with your capabilities, your dogs temperment and your resources, (access to land, birds, training equipment, training help).

Eycee1

Post by Eycee1 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:06 am

I ordered Even Grahams full program.....just realizing I only ordered the full DVD set and thought it came with the books also but it does not. Do you guys recommend I get the books also or will the DVDs be good enough?

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:51 am

Old post but I am wondering the same thing.

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:48 pm

duckn66 wrote:Old post but I am wondering the same thing.
It's far more efficient with the books. They're meant to work together. The written explanations and diagrams add another dynamic dimension. One of the DVD's you'll be getting is called "In the Field". On that DVD is a course on training the upland skill 'Quarter & Flush'. I think you'll like it!

EvanG
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr
The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
Official Evan Graham Retriever Training Forum