stopped retrieving ducks

coxw88

stopped retrieving ducks

Post by coxw88 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:07 pm

I have 1 1/2 year old GSP this is her first year hunting. She had been FF. The beginning of the season she did great retrieved a couple of cripples. Had some good marks that she didn't need help on was really excited about retrieving. Now the season had been slow last couple of hunts she one got one retrieve. Today when hunting shot one and she went out to the duck sniffed it then tried to come back to me. I told her no and walked out there and told her fetch she did get it and brought it to me. Had my buddy throw it out a couple of times after that and she got it fine. Then when we are getting ready to leave I shoot a coot and sent her for it she got about 5 feet from it and tried to turn away I told her no and tried to send her back but she wouldn't go I got frustrated and had practically drag her to it and tell her fetch she still wouldn't so I had to grab the bird and make her fetch it. So I was wondering if I should give get a break on hunting. And do more work in the yard. Or should she just be getting bored because it's been slow or did she just have an off day. Or should I go back to FF on birds?

Swampbilly

Re: stopped retrieving ducks

Post by Swampbilly » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:47 pm

When you mention "she had been FF'd" , does that mean your dog has completed every single component of FF', (?)-- i.e. initial Force Ear Pinch, Collar FETCH, walking FETCH , Stick Fetch, Pile work, ( FTP?) etc.

Keep in mind that while FF' brings many lasting attributes to the table, there still needs be a certain amount of peiodical maintenance" required :mrgreen:

coxw88

Post by coxw88 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:45 am

She has done ear pinch, collar fetch, walking fetch, and FTP out to about 60 yards. Not going to lie since hunting season has started I have slowed down in it but I do still work with her on a regular basis. The main reason I was concerned is she is normally goes crazy for any thing with feathers. It's weird to me that out of no where she wanted nothing to do with it. Thank you for your reply

Gooseman07

stopped retrieving ducks

Post by Gooseman07 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:57 am

I think SwampBilly hit it on the head. You need to maintain FF. You change the oil in your car every 3,000 miles don't you? You also need to finish FF. I'm speaking from experience. I had a dog screw when preparing for a test because I didn't finish properly.

My next question is, how much praise did you give her while FFing? That plays a big role in the dogs desire to do it for you and not for them. How many other things are you doing with her? I know that my older dog got bored even after FF if ALL I did was retrieving. You have to mix it up and do something different. Go to the field and run birds or something. Same thing goes for that as well, you need to mix it up in that situation to keep the dog interested.

Swampbilly

Re: stopped retrieving ducks

Post by Swampbilly » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:08 pm

coxw88 wrote:She has done ear pinch, collar fetch, walking fetch, and FTP out to about 60 yards. Not going to lie since hunting season has started I have slowed down in it but I do still work with her on a regular basis. The main reason I was concerned is she is normally goes crazy for any thing with feathers. It's weird to me that out of no where she wanted nothing to do with it. Thank you for your reply
Gotcha'.
Have noticed a lot of posts that mention the same thing- "dog FF'd, but suddenly stops retrieving'. Often wonder just how much "maintenance" has been performed from the time the dog was"finished" with it..
That said-
A properly forced dog isn't going to "forget" what the magic word FETCH! means either just overnight.

Would be curious to know if your dog has gone from nice, warm, balmy early season temps in H2O to some cool, (cold), temps without really being accclimated to a colder water temp.
Just a thot.
Good idea to keep birds in the dogs training diet as often as possible. Live clipped winged birds for the dog to chase and pick up along with some shot flyers works wonders.