Need a help pointing

Efrain2008

Need a help pointing

Post by Efrain2008 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:42 pm

I have a 4 month old English pointer.hes really birdy but when I take him out on bird releases as soon as he hits the scent he bolts right in. I try and beat him by releasing the bird but he keeps doing it I guess my timing is off.but He sure points flys really good...LOL. Any pointers that I can learn from. I got the perfect start and doing the training just like the video!!!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Need a help pointing

Post by Sharon » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:36 pm

This is a remote launcher? What bird are you using?
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:00 pm

Use a check cord if you don't have electronic launchers.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

JAG06

Post by JAG06 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:48 pm

That sounds great, just let him chase and he will sure enough find out he can not catch them. I would advise absolutely no check cords/launchers or corrections at this stage. Much bigger chance it will mess things up than help anything. Just get him on lots of game birds, no recalls in the field and when he hunts intensely start gentle handling - ie tech to turn on whistle.
Then after a few weeks he will start pointing until you can walk up to within 10-15 feet before he flushes. Then you can teach him "whoa" in the yard. But nothing to gain by doing it until he has had at least 100 bird contacts(game birds, not pigeons). That way you create a dog that learns to hunt, and you can teach him to handle without him getting any pressure on birds. That will keep birds the reward for him while he learns how to handle. IF you put pressure from all angles at same time, and especially young - then something will suffer and your dogs hunting potential will never be reached IMO.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:11 pm

If it's a remote, your timing is off. You need to know exactly where the bird is and where the wind is coming from. He get's close the the trap up wind, ten yds or so, pop the bird. he's coming into the scent on the down wind side, pop the bird before he can even stop. He will learn to beat the flush. you would be amazed just how fast they can apply the brakes. He beat's you to, don't pop until he moves. he bats an eye lash, pop the bird. He'll learn that the thing letting the bird go is his movement.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

mask

Post by mask » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:26 pm

The pup is 4 months old let him hunt, let him play and find birds. A pup is a pup, keep that in mind for the next few months.

uthunter

Post by uthunter » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:23 am

4 months is really young. My opinion is to forget about launchers or any formal training tools for a while. Let your pup run around in areas that he may stumble across a bird, let him chase "bleep" birds and build his confidence. The results you get later in will all be worth it. Don't rush hinge. Let him be a pup and mature a bit before worrying about any of that. When he's ready and mature, then introduce the launchers and tools. But at four months old its like its like taking a 1 year old to a movie. All they want to do is play.

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:28 am

let the dog be a pup let him run in the field he can point mice song birds. when you go back to training plant a bird in the field. then put a bird in the launcher say about five or ten yards father past the bird in the grass bring the dog cross wind if he points fine. if if he don't an tries to get at the bird. release the bird in the launcher he will chase the bird from the launcher. let him start to chase then stop him with the check cord . and led him away. repeat the steps again. he will soon start pointing but probable wont let you get around him to flush the bird yourself. have a bird in your hand as soon as he starts to break throw the bird he will start to look at you and wait for the bird to be thrown this is what you want. you can milk this longer and longer then you have a dog that will point and let you walk in and around in front of him to flush the bird it sounds long and drawn out but it don't take all that long some dogs pick up on this really fast

Efrain2008

Post by Efrain2008 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:21 am

Sorry for not . Replying I was out of town for the holidays. And I am using a remote launcher

Efrain2008

Post by Efrain2008 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:28 am

I am using homing pigeons were I live there ain't wild birds