e- collar use in 2004 vs 2014 are there still " never do's

dottie

e- collar use in 2004 vs 2014 are there still " never do's

Post by dottie » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:40 pm

I have been reading posts from 2004. With my limited knowledge it seems that posts concerning e-collar use were more critical or at least skeptical than in 2014. Is that because.....???
Are there still absolute " never do this" concepts when using an e-collar?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: e- collar use in 2004 vs 2014 are there still " never do's

Post by Sharon » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:11 pm

PLease don't read my post since 2008. I've learned a lot since then. :)

Still stands:

Don't correct your dog if you can't see him. He may be point , hurt or..............
The e collar is not the solution for every problem.
The dog should acknowledge by a turn of the head or flip of the ear that he is feeling the collar correction. Crying out is not acceptable, unless trashing breaking and even then I hesitate.
Never use the collar until you are positive the dog knows the command well in a variety of locations.

I'd be interested to know , what differences you noticed. Not every post has correct info about the use of a collar.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:53 pm

What was true of the ecollar program in 1970 is still true today. The program has never changed though surely the instrument has.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:30 am

Regardless of the equipment or tools used in dog training the never do list goes back 100's of years. The e-collar is not a magical instrument, in the right hands can work wonders in clarifying the message to the dog, in the wrong is can have ruinous effects and consequences!
I'm 100% in favor of LGBT - Liberty, Guns, Bacon and Trump.

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:49 pm

dottie wrote:I have been reading posts from 2004. With my limited knowledge it seems that posts concerning e-collar use were more critical or at least skeptical than in 2014. Is that because.....???
Are there still absolute " never do this" concepts when using an e-collar?
There never were "never do's" , so much as there were and are things better with a certain dog, or worse. Train the dog you're training and leave the stereotyping to lesser trainers.

EvanG
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr
The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
Official Evan Graham Retriever Training Forum