Gun cautious dog?

duckrush

Gun cautious dog?

Post by duckrush » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:52 pm

Hi everyone.
I just picked up a one year old started lab. He is ff, collar conditioned, whistle trained, hand signals, and we have just started force to pile. He has been shot over with live fliers and steady. My question is the first time I shot next to him he seemed gunshy. He went out after dummy and returned but would only come about ten feet from me. I only had him home a few days when this happened. Could it be a trust issue? I have taken it back to basics by making noise while he eats and using a starter pistol at distance on retrieves. He doesn't even blink on those. Over the last week we have bonded more and he is responding to training like I saw him with the trainer now with me. I just don't want to make him a mess. Is going back to basics the best thing? Any suggestions would be helpful. As I said he had been introduced to guns and live fliers so am I correct in it may be a familiarity thing?

EvanG

Re: Gun cautious dog?

Post by EvanG » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:13 pm

http://www.evan-graham.net/Testimonials ... ments.html

Enjoy your reading! Lots of them on that page, and more if you need them.

EvanG
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr
The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
Official Evan Graham Retriever Training Forum

Pepper

Post by Pepper » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:07 pm

duckrush wrote:Hi everyone.
I just picked up a one year old started lab. He is ff, collar conditioned, whistle trained, hand signals, and we have just started force to pile. He has been shot over with live fliers and steady. My question is the first time I shot next to him he seemed gunshy. He went out after dummy and returned but would only come about ten feet from me. I only had him home a few days when this happened. Could it be a trust issue? I have taken it back to basics by making noise while he eats and using a starter pistol at distance on retrieves. He doesn't even blink on those. Over the last week we have bonded more and he is responding to training like I saw him with the trainer now with me. I just don't want to make him a mess. Is going back to basics the best thing? Any suggestions would be helpful. As I said he had been introduced to guns and live fliers so am I correct in it may be a familiarity thing?
You got some investment in this dog. I like what you said in the bold...Keep it up IMO. :)

zjohn14

Post by zjohn14 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:04 pm

I'm in the same boat with my 16 month old gsp he is the worst dog I've seen to so gun shy. After I got him chasing pigeons, quail then he started pointing them I had my friend stood 80yds behind us an only fired off the 22 blank after I flushed the quail. When the dog hears a shot even from that distance he freaks an tries to hudle between ppl legs it's so annoying. I literally have played close to 2 dozen quail an before I did that had him chasing pigeons. I talked to few vets they said try going grouse hunting an they said a gun shy dog will usually be so focused on the bird he doesn't pay attention to the shot. We actually killed one grouse an brought cpl quail to plant after shooting those birds the dog is scared to death of birds today he when he saw or winded them an turn around running to go between your legs an cry. I'm disappointed to say the least I'm not going work him any more until spring an start training all over again. How ever I'm very excited that my four month old gsp female is the complete opposite an loves to fetch birds we've shot over her after helping her not chase any more. The guys that I've hunted an trained with said she has the best instincts an drive they have seen out of a dog that's so young. She is bird crazy but I'm taking it slow with her trying to keep training exercises fun an short mainly doing what ppl suggested by just lettingt her be a pup come February she going to school for a month. I hope to help make her a champion dog an hunt over her in different states for many years. I'm a very proud of her if you can't tell lol.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re:

Post by Sharon » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:21 pm

zjohn14 wrote:I'm in the same boat with my 16 month old gsp he is the worst dog I've seen to so gun shy. After I got him chasing pigeons, quail then he started pointing them I had my friend stood 80yds behind us an only fired off the 22 blank after I flushed the quail. When the dog hears a shot even from that distance he freaks an tries to hudle between ppl legs it's so annoying. I literally have played close to 2 dozen quail an before I did that had him chasing pigeons. I talked to few vets they said try going grouse hunting an they said a gun shy dog will usually be so focused on the bird he doesn't pay attention to the shot. We actually killed one grouse an brought cpl quail to plant after shooting those birds the dog is scared to death of birds today he when he saw or winded them an turn around running to go between your legs an cry. I'm disappointed to say the least I'm not going work him any more until spring an start training all over again.

How ever I'm very excited that my four month old gsp female is the complete opposite an loves to fetch birds we've shot over her after helping her not chase any more. The guys that I've hunted an trained with said she has the best instincts an drive they have seen out of a dog that's so young. She is bird crazy but I'm taking it slow with her trying to keep training exercises fun an short mainly doing what ppl suggested by just lettingt her be a pup come February she going to school for a month. I hope to help make her a champion dog an hunt over her in different states for many years. I'm a very proud of her if you can't tell lol.

zjohn - second problem dog ( Should have started a new thread maybe.)

Sorry but the vet is wrong. A gunshy dog is a gunshy dog no matter what the bird. I'm very sorry you are disappointed ; I would be too.

This is a problem that is very hard to fix. In my opinion, a 6 month lay off probably won't help. If you can afford it , I would try to find a Pro to de sensitize your dog over the winter. Not any Pro but a pro with proven experience with this problem. Don't shoot over this dog anymore at all until you make a decision about a pro.
If you want to share , I would like to know how the dog was initially introduced to the gun. Was that 80 yards with the .22 blanks the first experience?

PS To be perfectly honest, if you can't afford a pro over the winter, - I hope I don't offend - you might consider re homing that dog to a pet home and concentrating on your second dog.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Re: Re:

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:29 am

Sharon wrote:
zjohn14 wrote:I'm in the same boat with my 16 month old gsp he is the worst dog I've seen to so gun shy. After I got him chasing pigeons, quail then he started pointing them I had my friend stood 80yds behind us an only fired off the 22 blank after I flushed the quail. When the dog hears a shot even from that distance he freaks an tries to hudle between ppl legs it's so annoying. I literally have played close to 2 dozen quail an before I did that had him chasing pigeons. I talked to few vets they said try going grouse hunting an they said a gun shy dog will usually be so focused on the bird he doesn't pay attention to the shot. We actually killed one grouse an brought cpl quail to plant after shooting those birds the dog is scared to death of birds today he when he saw or winded them an turn around running to go between your legs an cry. I'm disappointed to say the least I'm not going work him any more until spring an start training all over again.

How ever I'm very excited that my four month old gsp female is the complete opposite an loves to fetch birds we've shot over her after helping her not chase any more. The guys that I've hunted an trained with said she has the best instincts an drive they have seen out of a dog that's so young. She is bird crazy but I'm taking it slow with her trying to keep training exercises fun an short mainly doing what ppl suggested by just lettingt her be a pup come February she going to school for a month. I hope to help make her a champion dog an hunt over her in different states for many years. I'm a very proud of her if you can't tell lol.
I agree with Sharon entirely on this. A gun shy dog is never cured, only sometimes controlled. Sometimes.

zjohn - second problem dog ( Should have started a new thread maybe.)

Sorry but the vet is wrong. A gunshy dog is a gunshy dog no matter what the bird. I'm very sorry you are disappointed ; I would be too.

This is a problem that is very hard to fix. In my opinion, a 6 month lay off probably won't help. If you can afford it , I would try to find a Pro to de sensitize your dog over the winter. Not any Pro but a pro with proven experience with this problem. Don't shoot over this dog anymore at all until you make a decision about a pro.
If you want to share , I would like to know how the dog was initially introduced to the gun. Was that 80 yards with the .22 blanks the first experience?

PS To be perfectly honest, if you can't afford a pro over the winter, - I hope I don't offend - you might consider re homing that dog to a pet home and concentrating on your second dog.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:51 pm

Thanks. I needed that today ; just got blasted on another forum for my opinion on something. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Bluesky2012

Gun cautious dog?

Post by Bluesky2012 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:42 pm

Sharon wrote:Thanks. I needed that today ; just got blasted on another forum for my opinion on something. :)
I agree with you Sharon. I firmly believe gun shyness is man made, though some dogs are more likely to get it as a result of personality. I will say though I don't think it's ever worth the time, money, and effort to fix a gun shy dog if you really want a true hunting dog. I'd just start over and give that one away as a pet and realize somewhere along the lines he training went wrong.
"it shot a many shell over the top of an old bird dog"

zjohn14

Post by zjohn14 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:30 am

Thanks for all the advice something else I forgot to mention is my dog was scared of my bow or bow shy back in the summer when I was shooting a lot he would run an hide when I had a bow in my hand I broke him by tying him up behind me while I shot an afterwards would play fetch or so do something he enjoyed an it worked, however I've contacted a cpl different trainers an all said to lay off training for a few months an plan to start from the beginning with him. An if I feel like he can possibly be broke I will send him to a trainer that I've been told has broke many gun shy dogs if he can not fix him then I plan to keep him as a pet an try training to track deer or shed hunt. As far as a gun shy dog I think it's alot to do with the dogs personality I have seen dog's introduced to gunfire at 6 or 7 months old after being trained with proven methods an become not only gun shy but scared of birds an seen dog's introduced to gun fire as puppies an not be effected at all.

Bluesky2012

Gun cautious dog?

Post by Bluesky2012 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:17 pm

zjohn14 wrote:Thanks for all the advice something else I forgot to mention is my dog was scared of my bow or bow shy back in the summer when I was shooting a lot he would run an hide when I had a bow in my hand I broke him by tying him up behind me while I shot an afterwards would play fetch or so do something he enjoyed an it worked, however I've contacted a cpl different trainers an all said to lay off training for a few months an plan to start from the beginning with him. An if I feel like he can possibly be broke I will send him to a trainer that I've been told has broke many gun shy dogs if he can not fix him then I plan to keep him as a pet an try training to track deer or shed hunt. As far as a gun shy dog I think it's alot to do with the dogs personality I have seen dog's introduced to gunfire at 6 or 7 months old after being trained with proven methods an become not only gun shy but scared of birds an seen dog's introduced to gun fire as puppies an not be effected at all.
Intro to gun fire should be done very early as part of socialization. If you've waited till 6-7 months you're already a little behind on that. 4 months is a good time to intro birds. The dog is so young that it doesn't even know to be afraid yet. Some dogs are more predisposed to it, but a dog with good bloodlines and natural desire will handle gun fire if properly introduced. Gun shyness is always a man made issue resulting from proper intro and timing of intro.

Tooling

Post by Tooling » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:05 pm

Bluesky2012 wrote:
zjohn14 wrote:Thanks for all the advice something else I forgot to mention is my dog was scared of my bow or bow shy back in the summer when I was shooting a lot he would run an hide when I had a bow in my hand I broke him by tying him up behind me while I shot an afterwards would play fetch or so do something he enjoyed an it worked, however I've contacted a cpl different trainers an all said to lay off training for a few months an plan to start from the beginning with him. An if I feel like he can possibly be broke I will send him to a trainer that I've been told has broke many gun shy dogs if he can not fix him then I plan to keep him as a pet an try training to track deer or shed hunt. As far as a gun shy dog I think it's alot to do with the dogs personality I have seen dog's introduced to gunfire at 6 or 7 months old after being trained with proven methods an become not only gun shy but scared of birds an seen dog's introduced to gun fire as puppies an not be effected at all.
Intro to gun fire should be done very early as part of socialization. If you've waited till 6-7 months you're already a little behind on that. 4 months is a good time to intro birds. The dog is so young that it doesn't even know to be afraid yet. Some dogs are more predisposed to it, but a dog with good bloodlines and natural desire will handle gun fire if properly introduced. Gun shyness is always a man made issue resulting from proper intro and timing of intro.
4 months old to see a bird for the first time?

My pup legit pointed his first hidden bird at 10-1/2 weeks..he was then taken back about 50 yds for the flush & shot. Was that too risky?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:06 pm

There is no right time for every pup. With experience you will be able to tell a little from the pup but it makes little difference when. How is much more important.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Tooling

Post by Tooling » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:05 pm

ezzy333 wrote:There is no right time for every pup. With experience you will be able to tell a little from the pup but it makes little difference when. How is much more important.
I know you said "how it's done" is the key but..

What is it you are looking for w/a very young pup?

Attention and eagerness w/the bird(s)? Just overall boldness?

Bluesky2012

Gun cautious dog?

Post by Bluesky2012 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:47 pm

Tooling wrote:
Bluesky2012 wrote:
4 months old to see a bird for the first time?

My pup legit pointed his first hidden bird at 10-1/2 weeks..he was then taken back about 50 yds for the flush & shot. Was that too risky?
Correction I meant intro to guns. I do bird intro a few weeks after getting a pup home so probably 12ish weeks, then by 16 he's ready for a gun. My bad on that.