How to hold properly

Marsh Mutt

How to hold properly

Post by Marsh Mutt » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:36 am

Have a year old gsp (Riddick) he will run and pick up every bumper I throw. But when in water he will mouth it till it gets to the very end. Wont drop it but looks like hes going to. Any suggestions or advice is helpful

EvanG

Re: How to hold properly

Post by EvanG » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:25 pm

Marsh Mutt wrote:Have a year old gsp (Riddick) he will run and pick up every bumper I throw. But when in water he will mouth it till it gets to the very end. Wont drop it but looks like hes going to. Any suggestions or advice is helpful
He needs to be fully force fetched. Is that in your plans?

EvanG
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr
The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
Official Evan Graham Retriever Training Forum

Marsh Mutt

Post by Marsh Mutt » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:00 pm

Started him on force fetch but once I started forcing him to pick up off the ground felt like I was going backwards. He will fight it. he doesn't respond well to the needed pressure.

Swampbilly

Post by Swampbilly » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:03 am

Marsh Mutt wrote:Started him on force fetch but once I started forintoing him to pick up off the ground felt like I was going backwards. He will fight it. he doesn't respond well to the needed pressure.
Mr. Evan Graham will get you pointed in the rigjt direction!

Want to point out MM, is that going from one concept to another, (such as perhaps from the FF' table, a tailgate, whatever), to the ground, can create a certain amount of confusion- yes- even though you're asking the same thing from the dog.
Would suspect however, that if by going to the ground it turned into a huge "battle" that perhaps pup didn't understand pressure before moving forward.
"Needed pressure" shouldn't translate into overwhelming pressure.

Fun dog

Post by Fun dog » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:11 am

Whenever I have a problem like that I'm usually moving too quick. Go back a few steps and then move forward slowly.

Marsh Mutt

Post by Marsh Mutt » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:58 am

Thats him picking up off the ground from the ground. Hes done perfect from transferring from table to ground.

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:28 am

Before you force fetch, try to get him on a table with some treats. Force fetch is an option, but I, and several people I know, don't force fetch my dogs and we have good retrievers. First, I would put him on a table or bench with some treats, have him hold two of your fingers then move to having him hold stuff like bumpers, dowels, frozen birds, etc. Don't get upset if he fusses with you. Just don't let him spit it out, then treat him when he accepts it.
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

Marsh Mutt

Post by Marsh Mutt » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:08 am

Ive been through all that hes just giving me a fit when he has to pick up off the ground with the ear pinch

Bluesky2012

How to hold properly

Post by Bluesky2012 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:48 am

I've found that if your dog understand pressure from a collar well, it can be beneficial just to forget the ear pinch and rather force fetch straight from a collar. My GSP struggled with the ear pinch but when I went to the collar it fixed any and all avoidance issues because the collar is consistent and they can't escape it. An ear pinch can be inconsistent and they can balk and squirm and mess the pinch up. I just put my dog against a fence post so he couldn't move his head, and used the collar. Once he realized he couldn't avoid the collar, he started grabbing the dowel quickly. Went from there through the rest of FF and it went very smoothly from there.
"it shot a many shell over the top of an old bird dog"

Marsh Mutt

Post by Marsh Mutt » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:32 am

I will definitely give this a try. Thanks for the info.

Pepper

Re:

Post by Pepper » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:13 pm

Marsh Mutt wrote:Ive been through all that hes just giving me a fit when he has to pick up off the ground with the ear pinch
Transition to ground is a hard concept for a dog. Try stepping on the bumper’s end to raise it off the ground at an angle. That will give the dog something to go on. Continue with repetitions and dog will get it. Be sure to praise...very important. :)

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:56 am

I was just thinking the same thing. I always started a dog with a hardwood dowel. On each end I had a square of plywood that kept the dowel off the ground a couple inch's.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:17 pm

So he was picking the bumper up off the table?
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com

Marsh Mutt

Post by Marsh Mutt » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:38 pm

Yes. I don't know if its the grass or wat but he hesitates and I've got to force him with a fairly decent amount of pressure

Pepper

Post by Pepper » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:45 pm

DonF wrote:I was just thinking the same thing. I always started a dog with a hardwood dowel. On each end I had a square of plywood that kept the dowel off the ground a couple inch's.
Yep...that is usually all it takes for the dog to get the hang of it. Adding pressure is OK, but too much will cause the dog to shutdown. You can transition by holding the bumper and then lowering the bumper in increments. When the bumper is on the ground, lift on the rope attach to bumper a bit and give command. :)

Marsh Mutt

Post by Marsh Mutt » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:56 am

Ok i will definitely give all the info a shot. Thanks alot for all the info