Gsp training come

Sundby

Gsp training come

Post by Sundby » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:32 pm

Hi all, I have a 4 month old gsp puppy, he is coming along great, I have been doing yard work and have him in the field daily, he is very bold and a very smart dog, I have him with me everyday all day at work I drive a lot so needless to say I hunt a lot, my question is he definitely knows come but when we get in the field and I get him chasing some birds he is having so much fun he doesn't ever want to leave, he looks at me like dad I wanna keep hunting, forget coaxing he figured that out quickly, I kinda have just sat back and let him keep exploring but now he is getting more bold and he could go all day, the only way I have figured it out is to put the leash or check cord on him aways from the truck and heal him back, not sure how to go about it... Just keep the check cord on him and do it that way or introduce the ecollar or just let him be a pup and let Him hunt and run around...? Thanks For the help.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Re: Gsp training come

Post by cjhills » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:58 pm

put a check cord on him or he will drive you crazy. give him a treat when you call him in. Don't call him if he will not respond. do not load him up and leave every time you go back to your vehicle sometimes water, a treat and another run. most pups will come with you if you just walk a different direction and pick up the cord when he is going with. start him wearing the e-collar now and collar training in about a month or a bit more....CJ.

Sundby

Post by Sundby » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:04 pm

cjhills wrote:put a check cord on him or he will drive you crazy. give him a treat when you call him in. Don't call him if he will not respond. do not load him up and leave every time you go back to your vehicle sometimes water, a treat and another run. most pups will come with you if you just walk a different direction and pick up the cord when he is going with. start him wearing the e-collar now and collar training in about a month or a bit more....CJ.

Thanks, that's kinda what I was thinking also, thanks for the tips and the help.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:01 am

Exactly what CJ said with an added emphasis - do not EVER give the dog a command you cannot enforce. NEVER say here or come if you cannot make him do it (either via checkcord or ecollar). All you teach him from repeating and not reinforcing is how to ignore commands. Sounds like a very bright pup that you have here.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:44 am

But just remember that it is a 4 month old PUP. They always get away with things at that age. There is a difference between training dogs or simply owning them who were trained by someone else.

Gooseman07

Gsp training come

Post by Gooseman07 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:30 am

I would recommend working more on 'come' in the yard. My pup is 4.5 months and he is stellar with 'come' in the field. We worked long and hard on going away first to teach the 'come' command. The pup will want to always come back to you especially if you incorporate a little food treat in there as well.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:37 pm

I have had real good luck with doing a very thorough intro to the command come in the yard.

I put 2 long leads on the puppy. I go in one direction and my wife goes in the other. I will call the pup to me, clap, encourage, get down on one knee, whatever it takes. When the pup comes I give it a treat and love it up. I take my hands away and then after a few seconds, my wife will call the pup, doing much the same things and when the pup comes to her, a treat and some lovin'.

If the pup does not come initially, I will reel it in with the checkcord...slowly and as gently as I can, but the pup WILL come. Then it gets a treat and some hands on lovin'.

It does not take long for a hungry pup to race from one of us to the other. In fairly short order the one trainer will have to restrain the pup with the checkcord until the second trainer cn issue a command.

Eventually I overlay a checkcord pop with the come command and then a whistle command. I will skip treats, but never skip putting my hands on the dog and praising it with a few strokes or pats on the flank.

This progresses to a single checkcord in the yard and a pop, if necessary, to reinforce the verbal command. Finally, I transition to a verbal command in the yard with no checkcord. When the dog does that well I will reintroduce and overlay the whistle command again in the yard.

The I take the dog to the field and go through the training progression again, starting with the single trainer with the checkcord and treats. It usually goes pretty fast in the field if I have done my yardwork thoroughly.

I will work on this until the pup will come arunnin' the very instant I call. I do not use the whistle command, off the checkcord, until I have overlaid and transitioned to the e-collar. I want my whistle command to be a drop dead type command, so I do not use it very often, but when I do, the dog MUST obey instantly...or there will be heck to pay.

I do not let an older puppy run free in the field without a checkcord after it has gotten its legs and can run in moderate cover. Too many bad things can happen and I am too old to run a dog down anymore.

RayG