Disaster-lost my transmitter

marysburg

Disaster-lost my transmitter

Post by marysburg » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:43 am

We had a great day in the field yesterday running 2 Britts and our GSP pup, but on the last bird of the day, I noticed the transmitter was gone. The lanyard must have failed somehow, because the transmitter, case and lanyard were all missing. Backtracked, but found nothing as the cover in some spots was so heavy and laid over with winds 40 gusting 60 by the time we were done. I'm going back today to cover the same area with the Lab, but I'm not too hopeful. The dilemma now is, do I just buy a new transmitter to marry with the 3 collars, or do I jump to all new equipment? I'm a diehard Tri-tronics user, but this was an older G3 Sport (tone, continuous and momentary), and I can't find a replacement transmitter for sale. I can get a Pro 500 from Gun Dog Supply, but I like the smaller transmitter for carrying.
For now, I have cranked up the 2 dog Sportdog 1800, and the single (ancient) Tri-tronics Pro200 with only one collar; surprisingly,they all work even though they have lain in the cupboard for a few years. I find the Sportdog is too hot for the Britts, even on the lowest setting, so the old reliable Pro 200 will be in hard use until I find the lost transmitter or buy a new one.
Could be worse, at least we have old equipment to use as a backup. Ideas? Anybody got an old G3? I will put a request under the Hunting Items for sale heading and cross my fingers.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Disaster-lost my transmitter

Post by Sharon » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:49 am

Wouldn't you know it? I just sold my old G3 Sport. I'll post on your need on our ON site and maybe somebody has one.
Last edited by Sharon on Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

RichK

Post by RichK » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:16 pm

Upgrade to the new Pro 550, seriously a great unit.

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:08 pm

Hi Sharon, too bad you just sold your G3. From what I understand, they are hard to find because people like them and hang onto them. Thanks for checking around on OOD, maybe another one will turn up for sale. If so, please let me know!

RichK, I looked at the TT Pro 550, and it looks good, but it will cost about $700, plus shipping to set it up for 3 dogs, and I can get a separate TT Pro 500 transmitter for $285. The 550 has more features, but I already have bark collars, and don't really need the lights. By the way, congratulations on your success at your JH event on the weekend; our dogs look so much alike. Speck had a great day in the field yesterday; is developing a nice search and points well. She is shortening the chase and is starting to really come with us in the field. It was fun to see her start to use the wind in a deliberate way and start to unravel the mysteries of scent. As always, thanks to Howie and Tammy from Northwaters Kennel for making pups like this available for us.

Ideally, with the help of our retired lab, I will find the old transmitter lying in the grass, and all will be well. She is great at finding pop cans, chip bags and water bottles in the field, so maybe we will be celebrating later. Trust the nose.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:18 pm

That happened to me once with a camera, and the dog found it! She was sniffing the grass, I walked over there and there was the camera.

One thing I've learned over a 60 year period in the bush is to always have everything on you double tied. I each piece of equipment (astro, camera, gps, transmitter) on a case on my strap vest. Each piece of equipment is also secured to my vest by a lanyard. Double insurance. I have lost far too many items carrying them in a sheath or case only.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:28 pm

Oh Happy Day. Found the transmitter exactly where I used it last. Good old Bonnie the lab did just what Gonehunting described when his dog found the camera for him. She was sniffing around about a foot from it and you could tell she wasn't birdy, just interested in something. If it hadn't been in an orange case, it would have been very hard to see. The clip on the case is weak, so I was using a lanyard looped around a strap on my vest, but obviously it wasn't foolproof. When I thought I put the transmitter into my pocket, I must have missed and put it back through the loop which fastened it to my vest. It was about 3 feet from where I received the last retrieve.

Lesson learned, everything will be well frapped to something sturdy. If another transmitter comes my way, I think I will go ahead and buy it for a spare. Cheers, and thanks for all the kind thoughts sent our way today.

Fun dog

Post by Fun dog » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:31 am

I have a basic sports transmitter that I would be willing to part with.

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:10 am

Thanks Fun dog, PM sent, and thanks to all.

birdshot

Post by birdshot » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:23 pm

A few season back I was finishing up a big circle in a section of CRP. As I was unloading my shotgun to cross the fence I see my Pointer returning, as she got closer I noticed she was carrying the transmitter for the collar. I always laugh at the irony.