Getting dog geared up for grouse.

Agross

Post by Agross » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:06 pm

Had a question. I have a 15 month old gsp male that was just recently started in NAVHDA in July of this year. He pointed his first planted chukar hard and has been doing well ever since. I have also been running him on wild birds (or at least in the grouse woods) since then but being that the woods are so thick right now I am unable to tell if he ever pointed or busted any birds on our outings. I just bought a bell and a beeper collar to use on point so hopefully that will help on future hunts.

My question was has anyone used a dead grouse or grouse scent to get the dog fired up as to what he is or should be looking for? What game to chase? or should I just continue to take him to grouse hotspots and when I hear a definitive flush praise him up. During training sessions he was winding birds from 30+ yards away (I know its not the same bcuz I can smell those chukar from 10 yards as opposed to a wild grouse with less game smell.) My concern is that he may smell them and continue on for other game.

Gooseman07

Post by Gooseman07 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:17 pm

I would hope when they fly away that he will eventually figure it out! Don't shoot them for now if he finds them and once he does start being steady, shoot one every now and again for him as a reward. If you shoot every bird, he will start breaking again and become sloppy. Good luck!!

mnaj_springer

Re: Getting dog geared up for grouse.

Post by mnaj_springer » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:37 pm

Agross.... My olfactory system isn't quite as powerful as our Canine friends, but I'm not convince that "grouse scent" actually smells like wild grouse. Those scents are just training aids. I'm sure your pup will lock up on hot bird scent. Good luck!
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:43 am

I don’t know if it is just in my mind but , I like to shoot a “new” bird pointed or not and do a quick hold session and a couple of quick marks, the theory is it puts that species’ scent on to the todo list. Usually it just takes one, and genetics takes over.

I am planning to add snipe to my todo list and I am pretty sure he won’t point one at first but I will shoot one we bump up (or try to) and run him through those steps and then with luck he starts to point them.

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:13 pm

Opening day is the 15th of Sept here in Michigan. Reports abound that there are good numbers of young grouse in prime cover. Next Monday there will be many young dogs and pups getting there 1st in-season whiff of the majestic Ruffie. Due to heavy foliage and green cover there will be very few killed. The killing season begins when the leaves are down.
This early season is a good time to go without the gun and just let the youngsters learn about wild birds and how to handle them.
I'm 100% in favor of LGBT - Liberty, Guns, Bacon and Trump.

Grange

Post by Grange » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:11 pm

I started taking my setter in the woods from the time she was a pup and she scent pointed a woodcock before having ever been on another game bird. She knew what to look for without having to experience any kind of bottled scent. Assuming your dog has an interest in birds I would think just getting it into good grouse habitat with birds will be all you need to get it fired up.