New GSP owner,hoping to find a training mentor near KC, MO

osceola

Post by osceola » Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:37 pm

I have been hunting for over twenty five years and have just discovered the great sport of hunting with a pointer. I am the proud owner of a 3 1/2 month old GSP.

I am hoping to train him myself to help with expenses but I am hoping to find someone who might enjoy helping me out. I have read several good books but still feel a mentor could offer years of experience and great help.

I live in Raytown, MO which is pretty much the same as Kansas City. If you would be interested I would be eternally grateful. Hopefully in some way I could return the favor.

Thank you

tfbirddog2

training?

Post by tfbirddog2 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:24 pm

I can send lots of pheasent wings ifd like.
" Everyone makes fun of a redneck till their car breaks down"Larry the Cable Guy

mrsb73122

Post by mrsb73122 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:25 pm

You might check out the Big Muddy NAVHDA club. There are several people that live around the KC area. Here is their website: www.bigmuddynavhda.org
Sharon B.

LSKGSPs

Post by LSKGSPs » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:52 am

Right in your backyard.....Jon and Cindy Hann at Perfection. One of the very best.

http://www.perfectionkennel.com/

Donnerhund GWP

Post by Donnerhund GWP » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:15 am

I can tell you our local NAVHDA chapter - Wasatch Mountain- has been golden to me. We meet 1 or 2 nights weekly from March through August for club training. I"ll bet your local chapter does something similar.
Men in Black -- Protecting Earth from the scum of the Universe
-------------------------------------------------------
Donnerhund!
Registered German Wirehaired Pointers

TrueBlu Shorthairs

Post by TrueBlu Shorthairs » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:51 pm

I'll second Jon Hann and offer Keith Gulledge at Blue Dawn kennels in Madison, KS, 620-437-2929 also. You might also contact the Heart of America GSP club in KC. Where did you get your pup????

I used to live in Overland Park and then Lenexa 15 years ago. Still love the CHIEFS!!

osceola

Thank you for your responses

Post by osceola » Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:51 am

Thank you for everyone who has responded. I purchased the dog from an indiviual in Kansas City. His bloodline includes BlueMax Spitfire V Grief and quite a few other champions. I will be contacting the local NAVHDA Chapter in my area and see what I can discover.

I have heard a lot about Perfection Kennels and they seem to be top notch. I am still hoping to train him myself before looking into sending him away. This still may be a consideration though.

Wish me luck on my attempts to help my dog bring out all its natural skills.

llewgor

Post by llewgor » Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:57 am

Perfection kennels also has 2 excellent DVDs that you maybe interested in. Good luck
Billy
"Change the way you look at things, and the things you look at change"

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=147

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=152

Haile

Post by Haile » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:44 am

Brian Long. Honest dependable guy.

TrueBlu Shorthairs

Post by TrueBlu Shorthairs » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:35 pm

I commend you on wanting to train the dog yourself. I would guess that Jon and Keith would offer "lessons" that would teach you and the dog. Most pros offer deals like that...around $30 a lesson or so.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:28 pm

Osceola -
I sent you a Private Message.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

stonegripper

Post by stonegripper » Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:54 am

I suggest you call Bryan Long in Maryville. He's a great trainer and a true bird hunter at heart. GSPs are his specialty. Not a far drive from Metro KC to his place. He can read a young dog better than most out there and will be honest on your dogs abilities/limitations. Good Luck!