"Carding" Quail

Boolywooger

"Carding" Quail

Post by Boolywooger » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:15 pm

So, I got a dozen Pharaoh Quail to use in training my pup. My recall attempt proved less than stellar. I released 11 of the dozen and only 3 came back. I gave them a few days and released 2, only 1 came back. So I used the remaining to do some retrieving work.

This Friday I'm getting some Bobwhite Quail, and I'm going to try this. I would love to know what you think. I'm going to take some orange flagging tape and using a clip attach about 6 feet to one leg of each quail. I'm then going to let them go into a large field near my place. I will probably release about 5 at a time. I'm also going to attach about 6 feet of tape to about a dozen tennis balls and use a "chunk-it" to pepper the field with additional tape so that Charlie doesn't get into the habit of pointing tape instead of smelling birds. I'll probably put a knot in the end of the tennis ball tapes so that I'll know by sight which is which. I'll check cord Charlie in to work the quail and when the session is over, I should be able to collect the quail by grabbing the tape and reeling them in.

Do you think this will work, or would I be better off just trusting the quail to recall?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: "Carding" Quail

Post by Sharon » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:27 pm

From what I read you're talking about training a PUP. Use pigeons if at all possible.

Try the tape on one bird first. I've never carded quail , but I can't imagine it would take much to take to keep them from being able to lift off at all. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:05 pm

Pen-raised quail aren't famous for being strong flyers, so I wouldn't think they'd do all that well with tape attached. Unless you're putting polish on a trained dog, you need those birds to fly.

You'd be better off using pigeons. If you don't have homers, you can use pigeon poles and reuse the birds.

Birds are, or can be unless you raise your own, a huge expense in dog training, and not really the item you want scrimp on.

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:32 pm

I'm surprised that any of the Pharoah Quail came back. As they aren't known to recall reliably. You don't say how old your pup is....So my answer /suggestion will be different depending on the age of your puppy. I would use pen raised quail on a really young pup to wake-up the bird desire or in a launcher with a pup that already points and you are staunching him/her up while under control (on a check cord)

Generally pen raised quail (Just released around the grounds) aren't good for teaching a young dog to respect birds. As they allow the dogs to approach unrealistically close before flushing when compared to the distance a wild bird would allow a pointing dog to approach. With the exception of flight conditioned quail that have seen a dog or two...maybe. $0.02

I place game birds in a mesh vegetable bag I get at the grocery store and place the "bird in a bag" near the launcher (Containing a pigeon) in a place where the dog will smell the game bird before the dog can smell the pigeon in a launcher. That way can use the game birds over and over again. The dog is on a checkcord and focuses on the pigeon flying away. This way I don't have to retrain when going from pigeons to game birds.
Tom

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:17 pm

I agree with everything so far. Carding quail....bad idea IMO.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Boolywooger

Post by Boolywooger » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:56 am

Charlie is a 5 month old Brittany. I have been using feral pigeons in my training so far, but they're 1 use birds because my attempt at carding them was less than satisfactory. I've never used a pigeon pole before, but since it was mentioned, I went out and researched it. I'm going to give that a try this weekend. I have 3 feral pigeons to work with and will try to capture some more. I'm going to put off getting the quail until I've given this a try.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:10 am

Some tips on using the pigeon pole -

Don't always put it in the same place. Move it around each session. If you don't, your pup will likely become sticky in that area and could start pointing the situation instead of pointing the bird.

Use an area with tall grass or other cover. When the bird lands you can take the pup around for another point.

IME one healthy bird is good for about 3 flushes max.

Be careful that if your tether breaks, it'll do so on the bird's end. You don't need locals calling AC because you're getting birds tangled up in power lines or trees.

Good luck, have fun.

Boolywooger

Post by Boolywooger » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:38 am

Thanks for those tips. I'm planning on using 3 poles about 50 yards away from each other and will round robin through them all, probably only twice per bird and maybe not even that many depending on how Charlie does. If he's perfect on the first two birds (not likely at this point) then we'll be through for the day and go for a swim.

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:04 pm

I have carded pigeons for reuse when training pointing dog but never quail.
Do not really even like to using quail when training pointy type breeds.
I'm 100% in favor of LGBT - Liberty, Guns, Bacon and Trump.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:54 pm

Boolywooger wrote:Thanks for those tips. I'm planning on using 3 poles about 50 yards away from each other and will round robin through them all, probably only twice per bird and maybe not even that many depending on how Charlie does. If he's perfect on the first two birds (not likely at this point) then we'll be through for the day and go for a swim.
You should try to do up your poles so that you can use then in different locations entirely, not just different places in the same field. Your dog will quickly learn that one field has the pigeons and he can get really sticky. Especially if you do that much birdwork. 6 times is a lot for one session. Think more in line with one or two, perfect or not. It's way fun to watch your young dog point and all that, but too much of that kind of birdwork can cause you grief down the road.

Starting a young dog isn't about perfection. That comes gradually as you build your foundation. Get used to sometimes good enough is good enough :)