Running GSP

Keveramma

Running GSP

Post by Keveramma » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:30 pm

So, I bought a 2 year old male and fixed GSP last November and have worked with him quite a bit. He has been, shall we say difficult to keep him in my backyard. He knocked out a picket and crawled through the fence, dug under it, and has as of the 4th of July hopped my 6 foot fence. Yesterday, I got a call from my neighbor that he tried to hop the fence again, but got his paw stuck in the fence. He definitely has some anxiety issues, and has since I got him. He has a great personality, loves to hunt and I think may be a good dog, if I can get past this crap. He really hates being by himself, has ripped up my kennel, got into cookies at Christmas time, even chewed on one of my really nice coffee tables. What advice do you all have for me? Besides, get another dog I mean.

SubMariner

Re: Running GSP

Post by SubMariner » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:38 am

Keveramma wrote:So, I bought a 2 year old male and fixed GSP last November and have worked with him quite a bit. He has been, shall we say difficult to keep him in my backyard. He knocked out a picket and crawled through the fence, dug under it, and has as of the 4th of July hopped my 6 foot fence. Yesterday, I got a call from my neighbor that he tried to hop the fence again, but got his paw stuck in the fence. He definitely has some anxiety issues, and has since I got him. He has a great personality, loves to hunt and I think may be a good dog, if I can get past this crap. He really hates being by himself, has ripped up my kennel, got into cookies at Christmas time, even chewed on one of my really nice coffee tables. What advice do you all have for me? Besides, get another dog I mean.
He needs exercise and an outlet for all the energy that embodies a hunting breed.

Here in FL our Season won't start until the Fall. However, our GSPs get run at least every other day at some local equestrian parks. Which means we put the GPS collars on them & let them go. (They are whistle trained for recall.) They probably go 5 miles to every mile I walk.

Otherwise you have a bored & destructive dog.
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

Nutmeg247

Post by Nutmeg247 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:51 am

He may be anxious, but a lot of the behavior you're describing could just be boredom and/or sensation seeking.

A 6-foot picket fence is in practical terms not much different from using orange tape to mark your yard for an athletic dog. So, I'd focus on the fact that most of the time he's opted to stay in. I agree that exercise and stimulation can help on leaving him content to stay in the yard the bulk of the time. A run within your yard with taller fencing and a buried chain link floor that attaches to the sides might be the best management solution to ensuring he stays there all of the time when not supervised by you.

If you're leaving him in the house unattended for a few hours here and there, personally I'd just crate him to avoid the furniture chewing. Give him a chew toy or even a Kong stuffed with frozen peanut butter. If he shows other signs of true separation anxiety, there are training protocols you can use to address that, but it's not clear from what you describe in your post that he is.

rinker

Post by rinker » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:43 am

I agree that the dog probably needs more exercise. The cheapest and easiest fencing solution is to run a strand of electric fencing along your existing fence. A good charger is less than $200. A ground rod, some wire and some insulated connectors will cost another $50, maybe less. Run the wire about 12 to 18 inches off the ground. Your dog will learn very quickly, and will stay in the yard with no problem.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:45 pm

More off leash running + crate training when you're not around. I have 2 I can leave free in the house when I go out; the other would always get into trouble. Maybe talk to your vet about anxiety solutions.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:02 pm

Home depot sells a solar fence charger that Beekeepers use to keep bears out. $59.00 I use 3/4 in PVC pipe in many forms with holes drilled in it for the wire as insulator material. Currently have a wire 6 inch from the fence and 6in from the ground. No Digging here. Also a wire 4 inch above the top of a 5 ft chain link fence. When I had GSP's, I had 6 foot tall X 24ft kennels with roof and concrete floor, 0 to 2 yr old is the hardest time of all.