Totally Lost...

SAZUGT

Totally Lost...

Post by SAZUGT » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:33 pm

So,

I have wanted a gun dog for years. As an avid upland game bird hunter I have envied all those guys out there with dogs. My current two legged dogs (3 sons) work alright but having a canine has always been a wishlist item for me. This father's day my wife arranged for me to get a dog, a GSP named Boone.

Boone was raised as a family dog with little formal training. The former owners said that they just didn't get around to training him and due to neighborhood problems (Boone is very vocal) he needed a new home. Boone is currently over a year old (he'll be two in November) and is not gun shy. He has been skeet shooting and has been with me when I've gotten rabbit hunting with no issues. He plays fetch, knows how to sit, and can kennel up (with coaxing). He has a sweet disposition and seems to have a strong drive. He chases birds and we play fetch with frozen quail/ dove to encourage him to go for those animals and associate them with having fun.

My question is, I have no formal dog training experience and no idea what to do with this dog on the formal training end. Money is not too much of an issue and I plan on sending him to a trainer here in AZ ASAP. What can I be doing with him to help until then? Is it detrimental to do leash training since he will be an off leash dog in the field? The only dogs I have experience with is labs and pitbulls so I know how to handle dogs I'm just at a loss for how to get Boone to near brag dog status. I'm worried that waiting this long to start training may have detrimental consequences to his long term effectiveness as a gun dog. Any feedback would be great. Thanks.

-SAZUGT

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Totally Lost...

Post by Sharon » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:48 pm

Not detrimental to do leash training at all. Useful skill.

One + a year old,not gun shy, you have lots of money for a Pro , dog loves birds = a bright future. Enjoy.:)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:08 pm

I have an old book called, Title, Best way to train your gun dog, the Delmar Smith Method, author Bill Tarrant I found a lot of leash training that really worked. I had my pup whoaing on planted birds to the point where I would walk out in front of the pup and flush the bird while she was dragging a leash. The dog will stay on whoa until I release her. We are working on fetch with live birds. She whoas until shot and command now. I did build a force fetch training table. I completed every step of training before moving to the next. We trained at least 15 minutes every day. Usually 30 min in morning and 30 min in the evening. My pup is a 9 month Brittany with a huge amount of drive. I do have an E-collar they are a must even for hunting. Just takes a lot of frustration away. Most of time just a buzz is all that is needed.

SAZUGT

Post by SAZUGT » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:12 am

Thanks for the replies guys! Ya I'm a perfectionist and just want to make sure I'm on the right track. We're trying to line up a pro for him this fall. I'll let you guys know how that goes. Any recommendations for trainers in AZ or surrounding areas?

twistedoak

Post by twistedoak » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:52 am

not just the dog needs to be sent to the trainer....

find a trainer that works both you and your dog
its a partnership and BOTH of you need to know what your doing in order to make it work

M1Tanker

Post by M1Tanker » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:28 pm

I would select the trainer you are going to use and ask him/her what foundation work they would prefer you work on or not.

bgcole

Post by bgcole » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:15 am

I have a similar situation.. I just rescued an 18 month old GSP named Zeppelin from a trailer park where he was chained up filled with cig and weed smoke. I dont think he was abused in that people were mean or beat him, just a really really crappy environment.

Im focusing first on just loving on him, and making him my best friend - taking him everywhere i can bring a dog, having fun... ya know - making a friend and getting him to trust me.

Also working on the obedience stuff and hes a fast learner. Hes got the nose and i **think** hes very interested in birds, but hes only been around a few so far....but baby steps.

I dont have unlimited money but i have a friend with a pheasant farm who has trained his dogs who is working with me some...

Bluesky2012

Totally Lost...

Post by Bluesky2012 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:39 pm

If you're using a pro, then just focus on socializing the dog and properly kennel training it. Once the dog is off to a pro, sit down and watch perfect start to train your self.

Biggest issues people ever have with a dogs typically come from two things, improper socialization and improper use of a kennel. Poor socialization makes lots of personality issues, etc, and a dog not understanding a kennel in a house makes a dog that is trouble. Start there, then send him to a pro.

I know a lot of retriever pros would rather a person not do anything other than socialization and walking a dog on a check cord prior to sending him off "to school". I think a similar thing is true with upland dogs. Less is more of your going to use a pro.
"it shot a many shell over the top of an old bird dog"

dsmtsi

Post by dsmtsi » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:36 pm

SAZUGT wrote:Thanks for the replies guys! Ya I'm a perfectionist and just want to make sure I'm on the right track. We're trying to line up a pro for him this fall. I'll let you guys know how that goes. Any recommendations for trainers in AZ or surrounding areas?
I use Ethan Pippitt in western KS. Worked with me and the dog for a day after we picked her up. The dogs have we just have to learn how to handle them.