positive only training.

crackerd

Re: positive only training.

Post by crackerd » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:27 am

Neil wrote:
Swampbilly wrote:Tell 'ya - I'm a poor man, but would pay real good money to know what Codswallow is 8)
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Polmaise (????) :?:
If you think about the words that make it up, I think you can figure it out. Hint, a codpiece covers the groin area of a male, and I think you know what swallow means. It usually not used it polite company.
Gotta spell it right first, Swamp - no "w" at the end, and thus not the meaning Neil extrapolates. Plenty of use in polite company for what it signifies - which in y'all's Virginia parlance would be pig swill.

MG

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:58 am

I think the word is "Codswallop" which means a load of rubbish ....I don't hear that word used much now , another and much ruder word has taken it's place.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:20 am

Balderdash I say, balderdash ! !

Doc E & HR UH MHR WR SR Black Forest Casey
and
Nami E & HRCH UH HR Sauk River Tucker

welsh

Post by welsh » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:48 am

There's a distortion of common sense where the understanding of operant conditioning meets an ideology of "humane training."

Research has found that dogs trained using positive reinforcement and negative punishment (i.e. reward and denial) learn new tasks more quickly. So the humane trainers declare that these are the only acceptable methods. But they're forgetting that key adjective in front of "tasks": "new." When a dog knows a task but doesn't perform it properly -- goofing off, making its own rules, whatever -- then you have an entirely different training problem.

Another error is forgetting that conditioning is only one way in which animals learn. Acolytes of operant conditioning insist that conditioning is everything and forget that we communicate with dogs, and that dogs have been proven capable of learning by inference, by example, etc. I have run across one blog whose author thinks saying "No" to a dog is a form of punishment, when in fact it's nothing but a command meaning "stop what you're doing." The blogger has to think of it as a punishment because she is so invested in conditioning that she has to try to fit it into one of the quadrants.

I am working on steadying a dog that breaks at the shot. When she flushes the bird and hups, I move up rapidly. When she breaks, I stop her with a hand in front of her chest and move her back to where she was hupped, without scruffing her or punishing her in any way. After two repetitions, she is steady for the next four. What have I done here? I suggest conditioning is not involved. When I move up quickly on her after the flush, this is not any form of punishment or reward. There is no threat involved -- if she breaks, I will just stop her. I believe the dog in this case has learned by inference. But the humane trainers are only able to see this through the window of OC theory, which can only view physical restraint as an inhumane punishment.

RickB

Post by RickB » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:02 pm

welsh wrote:There's a distortion of common sense...
Welsh:

Let me first qualify my responses by saying that I will use shock collars, negative reinforcement, and positive punishment when it suits me and the situation.

As for learning new tasks quickly using R+/N-: I'd have to say that that is technically true, but it comes with some real world caveats. If the behavior is a complex one, the trainer needs to break the behavior down into a lot of small tasks. Sure, each of those steps and tasks can be learned quickly, but the length of the back chain can get so stinking long that the overall terminal behavior is a lot further out than, say, a R- situation where only the proper response is rewarded. In other words, in my experience, tasks may be learned quicker, but the number of tasks may be quite a bit greater, thus lengthening the duration to learn the terminal behavior as compared to other methodologies.

However, I don't believe that "goofing off" and "making its own rules" is a different training problem. According to an OC R+ kind of guy, the solution is to raise the criteria and to increase the worth of the reward. I goof off at work when I am guaranteed $10 an hour. I work really hard when I have a chance to earn $100 an hour, but the output must be top notch.

As for other kinds of learning: Alex, the African Grey Parrot that learned to communicate with words, and even spell, learned predominantly via observational learning. Interesting stuff.

As for the blogger who thinks "No" is a punishment does not sufficiently understand OC. Now, if you beat a dog as you say "No", then the word can become a conditioned reinforcer and is indeed punishment. However, there is the idea of a No Reward Marker. "No" can simply be a mechanism to indicate that the current action will not yield results. "No" is just a sound we make. The meaning of the sound is what we teach. It can be punishment or it can be information.

As for the dog you are steadying, I respectfully disagree with your premise that no conditioning is happening. The reward is the bird (if you hit the target), or the privilege of continuing the hunt if you miss (Premack principle). To break means a cessation of the hunt and denied access to the bird. To me, clearly N- and R+.

And, in conclusion. the humane trainers who view physical restraint as inhumane punishment do not understand OC. Punishment, in a technical sense, sure. But it falls well within the quadrants of R+ and N-, where these trainers prefer to live.

RickB

welsh

Post by welsh » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:04 pm

RickB wrote:As for learning new tasks quickly using R+/N-: I'd have to say that that is technically true, but it comes with some real world caveats....
Yes, quite true. I believe any of the research showing that reward & denial is faster has always been dealing with simple tasks.

When I say goofing off is a different training problem, the point is that we are no longer learning a new, simple task, so that research doesn't really apply anymore. Whether a sharp correction, a more valuable reward, or moving back down the learning chain and reinforcing is best seems to be an open question.
RickB wrote:As for the dog you are steadying, I respectfully disagree with your premise that no conditioning is happening. The reward is the bird (if you hit the target), or the privilege of continuing the hunt if you miss (Premack principle). To break means a cessation of the hunt and denied access to the bird. To me, clearly N- and R+.
This is true. The routine of steadying has always involved reward and denial, with the bird and the hunt being the reward. But what I was getting at was the question of "putting pressure on the dog" by moving up on it, which I don't think actually has any punishment meaning unless of course the dog has learned to expect punishment -- just as the command "No" has no inherent meaning.

By the way, in that particular scenario, we could see stopping the dog as denying the retrieve, P-. But let's look at what actually happened:
1st run:
- dog breaks at shot, stopped. (P-)
- dog breaks at shot, stopped. (P-)
2nd run:
- dog is steady, gunner misses. (P-, punishing correct behaviour)
- dog is steady, given retrieve (R+)
In a third run, the same scenario repeated.

So there is no real conditioning pattern here. While the first two trials in effect punish incorrect behaviour, two of the remaining four trials actually punish correct behaviour! And the dog gets contradictory patterns of punishment and reward in each run. Yet the dog actually improved consistently throughout, even as I backed off the "pressure" by moving up less and less. I'd suggest the dog is applying more brain power to the situation than the high priests of OC would have us believe.

Don't get me wrong. Obviously operant conditioning is very effective and is the basis of most dog training whether the trainer realizes it or not. I'm just saying it's a mistake to try to pigeonhole every dog-handler interaction into one of the four quadrants.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:07 pm

welsh wrote: Obviously operant conditioning is very effective and is the basis of most dog training whether the trainer realizes it or not. I'm just saying it's a mistake to try to pigeonhole every dog-handler interaction into one of the four quadrants.
Nice One welsh :wink:
Last edited by polmaise on Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

RickB

Post by RickB » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:19 pm

welsh wrote:...Don't get me wrong. Obviously operant conditioning is very effective and is the basis of most dog training whether the trainer realizes it or not. I'm just saying it's a mistake to try to pigeonhole every dog-handler interaction into one of the four quadrants.
Welsh:

I hear ya. Methinks you and I would train very similarly. Thanks for the discussion.

RickB

Swampbilly

Post by Swampbilly » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:58 pm

Neil wrote:
Swampbilly wrote:Tell 'ya - I'm a poor man, but would pay real good money to know what Codswallow is 8)
If you think about the words that make it up, I think you can figure it out. Hint, a codpiece covers the groin area of a male, and I think you know what swallow means. It usually not used it polite company.
Thanks Neil for the no-nonsense explaination, I didn't want to go there :)
crackerd wrote:
Neil wrote:
If you think about the words that make it up, I think you can figure it out. Hint, a codpiece covers the groin area of a male, and I
think you know what swallow means. It usually not used it polite company.

Gotta spell it right first, Swamp - no "w" at the end, and thus not the meaning Neil extrapolates. Plenty of use in polite company for what it signifies - which in y'all's Virginia parlance would be pig swill.

MG
Ahh thanks for that M.G.,.oversight on my part lol!
polmaise wrote:
pm your zip code and I'll send an Invoice :wink:
:mrgreen:
Couldn't help but to be reminded of a story, (true), of an older gent fishing off of - Cape Cod when he reached over the gunnel of the boat to gaff a ..
yep..you guessed it ' a Codfish when his dentures fell out of his mouth into the Atlantic forever.

However two weeks later, another fisherman who knew the gent, and knew what had happened was cleaning some Cod he'd caught and found a set of dentures in the fishs' belly.
The gent was elated to get his teeth back, and was thankful that a" Codswalloped it.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:14 pm

Just want to mention delaying a reward is not denying reward. The dog can learn the difference, but it is training and repetition that give them CONFIDENCE that the reward has not been denied but is just delayed and hopefully if you are training well, it is also dependent on their behavior.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:11 pm

I usually just ignore the improper use of terms when discussing behavior modification with dog trainers, as I did in my first response to the OP.

But as some have pointed out, positive means to add something to the environment, negative to take something away. The terms have nothing to do with reward or punishment, they are used in a mathematical sense.

An e-collar can be used both as a negative or positive reinforcer, as can food.

We don't need to get technical if we just stick to reward and punishment when discussing dog training.

So to answer the question I do believe you could fully train a hunting dog with rewards only, but it would take a lot of time with no benefit.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:24 pm

Neil wrote:
So to answer the question I do believe you could fully train a hunting dog with rewards only, but it would take a lot of time with no benefit.
+1

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:55 am

I agree that we have gotten way too technical in this thread. What is being discussed here is just not that technical/complicated.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:04 am

Praise and pressure is the way. Balancing the amounts varies from dog to dog and separates good trainers from bad. You can word it any way you want to but it is the best and most humane way for a dog to learn. Do they learn from positive only when they are wild? NO.

Nutmeg247

Post by Nutmeg247 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:04 am

Neil wrote:I...
We don't need to get technical if we just stick to reward and punishment when discussing dog training....
I think this is true in the practical context of trying to train dogs. In the o.p.'s case, I do think the technical terms could help communicate effectively with the owner/trainer in question, if that is the goal. One of the oddities of some R+ trainers is the claim to be more scientific than trainers who use some aversives, so knowing the lingo can help deal with that idea that some, not all, have.

Speaking as a consumer/ trainer of my own dog, I do also find that thinking in a somewhat technical way about my timing and rates of reinforcement, for instance, helps me. Someone with more "dog sense" might find a lot of those timing issues to be just common sense, but they aren't necessarily so to me at first.

RickB

Post by RickB » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:38 am

Nutmeg247 wrote:...I do also find that thinking in a somewhat technical way about my timing and rates of reinforcement, for instance, helps me. Someone with more "dog sense" might find a lot of those timing issues to be just common sense, but they aren't necessarily so to me at first...
Technical for technical's sake doesn't accomplish much. But when an innovative thinker gets ahold of some of the technical ideas, some cool things can happen. There is a guy in the falconry world (Steve Layman, I think I recall his name to be) who had done some interesting things with hawks. All falconry training is rewards based, but he changed some things up and rewarded different things and done some pretty cool things.

Nutmeg247

Post by Nutmeg247 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:51 am

RickB wrote:
Nutmeg247 wrote:...I do also find that thinking in a somewhat technical way about my timing and rates of reinforcement, for instance, helps me. Someone with more "dog sense" might find a lot of those timing issues to be just common sense, but they aren't necessarily so to me at first...
Technical for technical's sake doesn't accomplish much. But when an innovative thinker gets ahold of some of the technical ideas, some cool things can happen. There is a guy in the falconry world (Steve Layman, I think I recall his name to be) who had done some interesting things with hawks. All falconry training is rewards based, but he changed some things up and rewarded different things and done some pretty cool things.
http://www.themodernapprentice.com/training.htm Thanks for that reference, I found this summary with further links re Layman on this.

Nutmeg247

Post by Nutmeg247 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:39 pm

Apologies if this isn't a logical extension of the existing thread. But, as these guys were mentioned early in the thread, I just note the $ rates for these workshops are in my view interesting, as is the dog-trainer-business coaching element. http://www.positivegundogtraining.com/t ... workshops/ I guess if they can fill up slots at a given rate, they can fill up slots. Maybe I'm just woke up on the wrong side of the bed. :)