FF help please

chrisss

FF help please

Post by chrisss » Wed May 14, 2014 9:25 pm

I am currently in the process of FF. He has hold down pretty good. He holds for over a minute now with chewing or dropping so I moved on to the fetch command. I have him on the table and he does reach out for the bumper with he ear pinch. What I have a problem is that when he reaches for the bumper he tends to try and grab the ends or chews it first and as I correct him he chews a liitle. How can I correct this? Also I tried transitioning him to the ground and as I command fetch he doesn't really grab the bumper but instead tries to chew and I have to put it in his mouth. Should I be stimulating him as he chew until he grabs it and hold then stop the simulation? Any help would be great. I am currently using the tritronic FF on YouTube and reading the green book and training the pointing lab.

Bluesky2012

FF help please

Post by Bluesky2012 » Thu May 15, 2014 7:43 am

I'd review the responses you've gotten on duck hunting chat. You're trying to go way too far ahead of where your dog should be. He's barely holding. Back up and start over. Roll the lips away once the dog holds, then of he starts to chew, hit the bottom jaw and it'll make him clamp down and command no. Likely too you've not used enough pressure. He still feels comfortable enough to gamble with chewing. He should be nervous about the dowel, roller, etc being able to move in his mouth at all because of the force.

Since you've never done it before, find a pro to help you or else it probably won't end well at this rate.
"it shot a many shell over the top of an old bird dog"

Swampbilly

Re: FF help please

Post by Swampbilly » Fri May 16, 2014 6:22 am

There ain't any difference between the way a Pointin' dog and a Retriever should HOLD an object. Forget YouTube, get some good comprehensive training material, and consider some hands on help from perhaps some folks in a Retriever Club...someone whos' properly FF'D a dog before.

Don't "try transitioning to the ground" before you have things understood on the table. This ain't a science project :wink:
There's already enough confusion with a dog that's ready to go to the ground once you get there. Same commands, but different place. Keep it clear and one concept at a time.

Remember- you're Pressure Conditioning. You're looking for your dog to begin "thinking forward" ..as in forward movement to the object, not just reaching for it a few inches away and nibbling on it like a Sunfish on a worm. You can help the dog understand the concepts of a good pick up and HOLD by not releasing pressure until the object is secured in it's mouth and timing praise for success. Try rolling the bumper in pups' mouth with your hand on the ear and command HOLD. You're not going to apply any pressure, (just don't tell your dog that).
Praise for holding the object straight and centered.

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Fri May 16, 2014 6:38 am

Swampbilly wrote:There ain't any difference between the way a Pointin' dog and a Retriever should HOLD an object. Forget YouTube, get some good comprehensive training material, and consider some hands on help from perhaps some folks in a Retriever Club...someone whos' properly FF'D a dog before.
100% on the money.

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Fri May 16, 2014 12:10 pm

chrisss wrote:I am currently in the process of FF. He has hold down pretty good. He holds for over a minute now with chewing or dropping so I moved on to the fetch command.
Then you moved on too fast, too soon. But the rest of your post tells the real story.
chrisss wrote:I have him on the table and he does reach out for the bumper with he ear pinch. What I have a problem is that when he reaches for the bumper he tends to try and grab the ends or chews it first and as I correct him he chews a liitle. How can I correct this?
Don't...yet. Your dog isn't even ready for the fetch command, much less being corrected for a finesse issue like this.
chrisss wrote:Also I tried transitioning him to the ground and as I command fetch he doesn't really grab the bumper but instead tries to chew and I have to put it in his mouth.
Have mercy, you are really in one heck of a hurry. You are way ahead of this dog!
chrisss wrote:Should I be stimulating him as he chew until he grabs it and hold then stop the simulation? Any help would be great. I am currently using the tritronic FF on YouTube and reading the green book and training the pointing lab.
By all means don't do that. As has been mentioned, You Tube does not contain a course in force fetch. Even my own You Tube videos are only a snap shot of parts of the program. Not to mention most of what is offered there poorly explained. You should still be finishing Hold by doing Walking Hold, and heeling in sharp turns and figure 8's before you start pinching this dog's ear for fetch.

The most detailed and complete course for force fetch is SmartFetch (book & DVD). You decide which course, but by all means get one, study it, and THEN go back to work with this dog.

Image Image

www.evan-graham.net

EvanG
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr
The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
Official Evan Graham Retriever Training Forum

Bluesky2012

FF help please

Post by Bluesky2012 » Sat May 17, 2014 11:51 am

Agreed with Evan. From my experience Evans program and Danny farmers FF programs are the two best on the market. Get one and also get help.
"it shot a many shell over the top of an old bird dog"