Advice on how to hunt 2 males together

GermanPointers.Net

Advice on how to hunt 2 males together

Post by GermanPointers.Net » Wed May 14, 2014 11:05 am

I have two male GSPs they have never been hunted together and they do exhibit some dominant postering when they are in crates next to each other. Do you guys think that they will be okay in the field?

DonF
GDF Junkie

Re: Advice on how to hunt 2 males together

Post by DonF » Wed May 14, 2014 1:16 pm

Only one way to find out, turn the loose. I've had dominate dog's that I've hunted with other dominate dogs. They hunt! If your dogs would rather grumble at each other then you have a problem.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Wed May 14, 2014 1:22 pm

How to hunt 2 males together? Turn them loose in the field and hunt them.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Wed May 14, 2014 2:23 pm

If you don't trust them loose together on a daily basis then I wouldn't hunt them together. I had to go to the ER this year trying to save someone's dog who did this.

Donnytpburge

Post by Donnytpburge » Wed May 14, 2014 7:08 pm

Hunt the dogs.

If they act up remind them that YOU are alpha.

Db

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Wed May 14, 2014 7:28 pm

Where are they housed? I would first put them in side by side kennel runs as a test. I am trying to figure out the dogs have never been together. I have had a few I could not ever put together.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Wed May 14, 2014 7:45 pm

Neil wrote:Where are they housed? I would first put them in side by side kennel runs as a test. I am trying to figure out the dogs have never been together. I have had a few I could not ever put together.
I have 2 that lived indoors together for 1 /2 years and were good friends until one day the younger one decided to take over....I have broken up a lot of fights but once they decide to actually kill each other there is no going back no matter how "alpha" you try to be. I wish I had kept them separate all along.

I have a friend who has Walkers who lived together just fine until the young one turned 3 and decided it was his pack and killed the older one. Trust me, breaking up 2 GSP's heck bent on killing is not easy. I would rather fight Freddy Kruger. :evil:

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed May 14, 2014 10:56 pm

Ya know if this is a gruesome as it sounds, there are so many good dogs around there is no reason to keep these two. I'd turn them loose hunting and see what happens.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sat May 17, 2014 10:18 am

Gender shouldn't matter
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Sat May 17, 2014 2:07 pm

CDN_Cocker wrote:Gender shouldn't matter
But it does matter.

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Sat May 17, 2014 2:46 pm

DonF wrote:Ya know if this is a gruesome as it sounds, there are so many good dogs around there is no reason to keep these two. I'd turn them loose hunting and see what happens.
So they can chew each other or possibly whoever tries to break them up? Not very good advise.

I would hunt them separately. It is what it is. Why push your luck? And your wallet will thank you for not having to pay unwanted vet bills because they tore each other up.

Doug

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Sat May 17, 2014 3:31 pm

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs wrote:
DonF wrote:Ya know if this is a gruesome as it sounds, there are so many good dogs around there is no reason to keep these two. I'd turn them loose hunting and see what happens.
So they can chew each other or possibly whoever tries to break them up? Not very good advise.

I would hunt them separately. It is what it is. Why push your luck? And your wallet will thank you for not having to pay unwanted vet bills because they tore each other up.

Doug
I knew we would agree on something... :D

Munster

Post by Munster » Sat May 17, 2014 6:19 pm

I am with you. If my dominant male cant hunt with another, I have no use for him and I sure wouldnt breed him.

First off, dont kennel them side by side. Put up a barrier so they dont have to eyeball each other. Second, When it is time to put the gear on the dog, keep them by the truck and not in the other dogs business. I see this alot and it ticks me off. When I gear up my dogs I stand them up next to my truck and they know not to move not even if another dog approaches. Than some yahoo pulls up and just piles his dogs out while he gets ready to roll. His dogs come over and try to start crap with my dogs.Doesnt end well for anyone.

Gear your dog up, Kennel him, gear yourself up, pick up your dog and roll. Dont allow any grab arsing with the other dogs. Seems pretty simple to me. :wink: But then again, I am just a Munsterlander owner.........what do I know.
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sat May 17, 2014 7:43 pm

I completely agree. Either train the dog to be around other's or move it along. I can't imagine having a dog I couldn't have or hunt around others. Lots of hunting dogs are dominant - that dominance gives life to that drive we hold so dearly. A dog that can't be around another is not a dominance issue - its a training and socialization issue.
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

Vman

Post by Vman » Sun May 18, 2014 7:08 am

Put Checkcords on both dogs and have someone with you and turn them loose in a small field. They are either going to hunt or fight. My guess they will hunt. But if you ever kill over them the trouble could start when there is a bird in ones mouth. Check cord is to break up the fight if there is one. If they fight, you either keep them separate or send the one packing.
You can also test them in the yard to see if they are going to fight. Just be sure to have a CC on them. If given the opportunity, one of them may very well back down once in the field or outside. Be careful.

lugmastro

Post by lugmastro » Mon May 19, 2014 9:52 am

I just went through this with 2 males. They fought my older dog put the younger ones head in his mouth and took a good chunk out of him and it was over. A couple years later it was obvious that the older one ceded control over and there was never another dominance problem.
"A person may cause evil to others not only by his action but by his inaction, and in either case he is justly accountable to them for the injury." John Stuart Mill

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Tue May 20, 2014 11:18 am

lugmastro wrote:I just went through this with 2 males. They fought my older dog put the younger ones head in his mouth and took a good chunk out of him and it was over. A couple years later it was obvious that the older one ceded control over and there was never another dominance problem.

I have 20 dogs. They are very social and get along great with humans and other dogs but there are 2 males that cannot be together. The OP recognized a problem and asked for suggestions. Why just tell them to "turn them loose"? :?:

GermanPointers.Net

Post by GermanPointers.Net » Wed May 21, 2014 5:31 pm

Thank you for all the responses, hunted them together this past weekend and it couldn't have gone better. They were focused on their jobs not on each other and I just needed to trust their training. Again thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:10 am

My hunting partners and I all had male GSP. Before opening the crates in the field, one of us would have a shotgun handy. Invariably when those dogs hit the ground , one would start something. It was like their greeting. Fire a round in the air when the ruckus would start and they would all charge to the field and start hunting. This went on for over 5 years with these dogs. Now it is just fond memories, they were all great dogs, great partners and they are all gone.

nevermind

Post by nevermind » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:42 pm

Probably works, but if your hunting pheasants in the later part of the season plan on walking a long way before you find birds. Slamming a truck door will send birds out of the field. I have hunting buddy that had a knothead that wanted to posture and mount other dogs during the start or finish of a hunt. He hunted well when hunting. Notice I said buddy "had"...to many good dogs out there to put up with that crap. My vote get rid of one or don't hunt them together... they will go after each other at some point.
oldbeek wrote:My hunting partners and I all had male GSP. Before opening the crates in the field, one of us would have a shotgun handy. Invariably when those dogs hit the ground , one would start something. It was like their greeting. Fire a round in the air when the ruckus would start and they would all charge to the field and start hunting. This went on for over 5 years with these dogs. Now it is just fond memories, they were all great dogs, great partners and they are all gone.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:59 pm

I have never had a problem hunting males together. You might have a problem at home in the yard but take them to the field and they hunt and pay no attention to the other dogs unless they point and then they back.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:14 am

I have two male cockers (father and son) that detest each other in and around the house but the work takes over out in the woods and fields and I have no problems with them there.

I think the work takes precedence with most dogs, it is when they are not working that you have to keep an eye on them.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

USMC

Post by USMC » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:25 pm

Munster wrote:
I am with you. If my dominant male cant hunt with another, I have no use for him and I sure wouldnt breed him.

First off, dont kennel them side by side. Put up a barrier so they dont have to eyeball each other. Second, When it is time to put the gear on the dog, keep them by the truck and not in the other dogs business. I see this alot and it ticks me off. When I gear up my dogs I stand them up next to my truck and they know not to move not even if another dog approaches. Than some yahoo pulls up and just piles his dogs out while he gets ready to roll. His dogs come over and try to start crap with my dogs.Doesnt end well for anyone.

Gear your dog up, Kennel him, gear yourself up, pick up your dog and roll. Dont allow any grab arsing with the other dogs. Seems pretty simple to me. :wink: But then again, I am just a Munsterlander owner.........what do I know.
Totally agree!
We have hunted seven DD males at the same time with one Brittany. We don't let them loose before or after the hunt. They all hunt together without a hick up unless one takes birds away from my dog's mouth...
Keep them busy hunting!

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:56 am

Trekmoor wrote:I have two male cockers (father and son) that detest each other in and around the house but the work takes over out in the woods and fields and I have no problems with them there.

I think the work takes precedence with most dogs, it is when they are not working that you have to keep an eye on them.

Bill T.

Exactly though in Bill T. situation both his dogs have been completely trained before be thrown into a pack situation. Train your dogs the birds will come, with out quarrel.
I'm 100% in favor of LGBT - Liberty, Guns, Bacon and Trump.