force fetching

flatwoods man

force fetching

Post by flatwoods man » Sun May 11, 2014 8:06 pm

I WOULD like to get some opinion at what is the best age to force fetch a dog. do you think it is best to get a full year of hunting before starting the force fetching. ALL opinions will be appreciated.

proshotgundogs

Re: force fetching

Post by proshotgundogs » Mon May 12, 2014 3:41 pm

It really depends on the dogs temperament and maturity not solely on age.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed May 14, 2014 2:41 pm

I think the year of hunting is really misunderstood. If I have a June pup, and I waited for it to get a year of real hunting in, it would be 1 1/2 years old before I ff'd it. No way. I like a dog to develop independence and confidence, but you don't need hunting for that. I want to be ff'ing a dog no later than 12 months.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Wed May 14, 2014 7:33 pm

1 year hunting and then FF ?
What a CROCK.

Swampbilly

Post by Swampbilly » Wed May 14, 2014 7:57 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:I think the year of hunting is really misunderstood. If I have a June pup, and I waited for it to get a year of real hunting in, it would be 1 1/2 years old before I ff'd it. No way. I like a dog to develop independence and confidence, but you don't need hunting for that. I want to be ff'ing a dog no later than 12 months.
+1
Del Lolo wrote:1 year hunting and then FF ?
What a CROCK.

Can't embrace that one either. Think of the bad habits that can develop with no way to re- enforce. All the crap you'd have to train out later. And there's more crap that can go haywire afield while huntin' than can with the dog at home while being properly Pressure Conditioned.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed May 14, 2014 8:50 pm

Crap/crock huh....I don't ff my pointing dogs until after their second season.....I don't always agree with others training methods but don't feel the need to call their methods " crap or a crock"

Force broke at 18 months after second season. He's retrieved more birds than most people would believe.

OP what breed are we talking about?
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Nutmeg247

Re:

Post by Nutmeg247 » Wed May 14, 2014 10:14 pm

birddog1968 wrote:...

OP what breed are we talking about?
Breed and use/style of hunting are probably both relevant, even as to whether FF gives that much benefit at all?

Jake just always seems to take incredible photos, btw.