Methods of 'awakening the nose'

kar6man

Post by kar6man » Wed May 07, 2014 5:19 pm

Hello all,

I've got a 10 week old GWP that I've had for several weeks now. Started some of the awakening the nose exercises in the Speed Training book. I've been leaving scent trails for the dog with raw meat and he's been catching on very quickly. I was curios as to what other methods some of you use to stimulate use of the nose in your pups? Is there another step to encourage the dog to wind the scent rather than trail the scent or is that a shortcut that the dog will pickup in time?

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Re: Methods of 'awakening the nose'

Post by birddogger » Wed May 07, 2014 5:59 pm

It is pretty much genetic.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

CTPaul

Post by CTPaul » Wed May 07, 2014 6:03 pm

Let him grow up, follow a program and it will come.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed May 07, 2014 6:48 pm

Never had to "awaken a nose yet." Do you want him finding raw meat or birds ? Get him on wild birds if possible. Get a GOOD programme. Is the book you are using?

http://www.amazon.com/Speed-Train-Your- ... 0811723046

Speed training works with many things but not dogs.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

kar6man

Post by kar6man » Wed May 07, 2014 6:51 pm

No need for the remarks just because I asked.

Editted by Ezzy to remove some crude language the forum doesn't allow.

RichK

Post by RichK » Wed May 07, 2014 7:18 pm

I'm pretty sure you are reading her post wrong. She's by far, in my opinion, one of the most helpful on the forum.

Your pup is 10 weeks old, don't worry about trying to "awaken the nose." Let the pup be a pup and just keep things fun. There will be plenty of time to "awaken the nose" in the upcoming months.

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Wed May 07, 2014 8:34 pm

+1 Rich and Sharon are right.

SCT

Post by SCT » Wed May 07, 2014 10:53 pm

Every dog has a keen sense of smell. Hang around him when you have a fresh cut on you arm or something and you'll see him go right to it, smell it, and lick it. There's no stopping their nose from working. What is it exactly you are trying to teach him by dragging a raw piece of meat around for him to trail? Do you plan on using him for bird hunting?? I'm not criticizing, just curious as to why??? If you want him to trail wounded animals it could be effective training, I guess. But, if you want the dog to hunt for birds you might take some others advice and get him into wild birds. The more important part of "awakening his nose" would be "awakening his mind". They learn to scent birds through experiences of scenting birds. Birds, birds, and only birds will teach him to find birds. Just my opinion!

fuzznut

Post by fuzznut » Thu May 08, 2014 6:37 am

If your plans are to use this pup as a tracking dog down the road, the keep up the tracking and nose to the ground work. However, if you are planning to use him more as an upland bird dog with the occasional tracking.... I suggest you stop doing the nose to the ground work.

Many GWPs have a natural talent for tracking already, so you want to get them to work with their heads up to wind birds, not to follow their ground scent. Too much tracking stuff and you may have a harder time down the road.

At 10 wks.... take him to some fields, low fields and just let him run and search, cross creeks, climb over logs, chase bugs, learn what things are and what things smell like. If you have access to any quail (wild would be wonderful!!!) get one and put it out in the field for him to find. Just let him bump and chase and have fun at this age!

Let him be a puppy and learn that it's a big wild wonderful world! His nose will awaken on it's own. If it's there, it's there. Have fun and enjoy this time...
Home of NAFC/DC Ariel's Justa Gotta Go Now- 2010 AKC Gun Dog 1 hr. CH R/U
http://germanwirehair.blogspot.com/

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu May 08, 2014 6:36 pm

kar6man wrote:No need for the remarks just because I asked.

I'm sorry if I offended you. Not my intent. I have the flu so have an excuse for being abrupt. Back to bed. (Go Montreal .Go.)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu May 08, 2014 7:26 pm

Sharon wrote:
kar6man wrote:No need for the remarks just because I asked.

I'm sorry if I offended you. Not my intent. I have the flu so have an excuse for being abrupt. Back to bed. (Go Montreal .Go.)
Sharon, you have nothing to apologize for. You said nothing that I can imagine offensive IMO, although I admire your response. To the OP, there is no such thing as awakening the nose IMO.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

kar6man

Post by kar6man » Fri May 09, 2014 11:58 am

I apologize if i came off rude to any of you. That the problem with anything online is that you cannot read the tone of a person's comments. I am not using this book. I briefly read through a section of the book online after reading about it on this board and thought I'd try some of the methods in the backyard between our walks out in the woods.

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Fri May 09, 2014 1:17 pm

Do you want your dog to find raw meat or birds?
If birds I'd put birds out for him. (Live ones) and see how his nose is.
The nose can and does mature.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Fri May 09, 2014 1:36 pm

kar6man wrote:I've got a 10 week old GWP that I've had for several weeks now.
JMO...let the pup be a pup for the next 3-4 months then think about putting him through some bird work. The light bulb will come on. Pigeons have a ton of scent - use them. I am pretty sure your GWP has a "working" nose, if not, you will find out. Either they have it or they don't. No need to do drills to wake them up. JUST HAVE FUN with the little buggar.

Bluesky2012

Post by Bluesky2012 » Mon May 12, 2014 10:46 am

If we combine this method with the wing on a string, well have probably the corniest of all training "methods" I've ever heard of.

I'd take it easy OP. Socialize your pup, nothing really else needs to be done. The instincts are there if it's a well bred dog. Just let it happen for a bit, and in time start a real training program.
"it shot a many shell over the top of an old bird dog"