Stopping the Chase?

RichK

Stopping the Chase?

Post by RichK » Wed May 07, 2014 10:48 am

My 16 month of GSP is pretty solid on his points. He will hold steady until the bird flushes but will then proceed to chase the bird down until he is able to retrieve it or until it is out of sight/reach.

Any tips or advice for stopping him from chasing flushed bird or at least limiting the distance he chases?

Carolina Gundogs

Re: Stopping the Chase?

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Wed May 07, 2014 10:51 am

I would you recommend you buy the book "training with Mo".
It will show you how to steady the dog in the least abrasive way (IMO) but still get results.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed May 07, 2014 12:08 pm

You using an e-collar? if so, let him get the chase underway and then nick him till he gives the chase up. Do not nick to soon, you don't want him to think the bird did it, it's something he ran into.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed May 07, 2014 12:23 pm

This is why I let my 3 - ..... month pups chase . They learn they can't catch the bird and eventually creep> point, and then the CC and then the e collar finishes the job. Always wise to let the bird teach anything possible.( Not saying it is the only way to do it , but it works.)
Last edited by Sharon on Wed May 07, 2014 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Wed May 07, 2014 12:41 pm

Time to teach stop to flush using a check cord. Most everything we do is taught first then over laid with the e-collar. By teaching the STF the dog relates that a bird in the air they must stand. I find it easier to teach STF before steading the dog. the steadiness seems to fall in place.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed May 07, 2014 6:13 pm

All good advise but you need to get started. The longer you let him chase, the harder and longer it will take to correct, especially if he is catching some of the birds when they land, as you implied.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

RichK

Post by RichK » Wed May 07, 2014 6:29 pm

birddogger wrote:All good advise but you need to get started. The longer you let him chase, the harder and longer it will take to correct, especially if he is catching some of the birds when they land, as you implied.

Charlie
I've already started working him on wild birds, cardinals, bluejays, etc. that fly around the local field. Just from two days of work with him I'm seeing a small difference.

NLsetter

Post by NLsetter » Wed May 07, 2014 6:42 pm

stop using training birds and get him on wild birds.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed May 07, 2014 6:45 pm

Nice plan if you can find them. Getting few and far between where I live.

Well. I just noticed where you live. :) Lucky guy.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed May 07, 2014 6:47 pm

Sharon wrote:Nice plan if you can find them. Getting few and far between where I live.

Well. I just noticed where you live. :) Lucky guy.
Yep, easier said than done in many places.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

RichK

Post by RichK » Wed May 07, 2014 6:49 pm

NLsetter wrote:stop using training birds and get him on wild birds.
I live in NY, wild game birds are virtually non-existent.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Wed May 07, 2014 9:50 pm

Get a check cord, a program and a plan. Till then, stop doing what you are doing.

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Fri May 09, 2014 1:31 am

If he is collar conditioned this should help. If not this should still help.
You'll need birds, pigeon or quail are sufficient. Some of this will probably sound crazy but it works. Bare with me.
I don't know if your following a program or not. Going with your not.
Plant a bird bring him in on it get the point. (He will hold till flush is what I'm working with here and also woah broke)
if you have a launcher great use it. If not don't worry just have a bird on you in hand out of sight of the dog. Forget about the planted bird..(You can use ecollar or not. I just like the added scare.)

Come in from the front standing a few feet in front of the dog. Kick around a little and drop the bird in your hand behind you letting it fly. Use the wind to your advantage (if you can) and watch the dogs head for direction of birds travel.. The dog will try and break in the heads pointed direction.( It will be seconds and you need to be ready to go at the birds release..) But you are right in front of him. Here is the crazy part. (Give me crap all anyone wants but it works) crazy part... Dog trys to go you bust out right in front of him in as crazy scream woah and extend shaking your arms to your sides (be big) leave no opening and be crazy about lunging at him.
It you have a collar us it too.
The dog will be so scared he won't know what to do.

It sounds nuts but it works. A secret that not said much.
I also use it when finishing up woah training. You know when you go to walk away and the dog takes a step to follow.
If you can't get the timing right it won't work to your benefit. Many ways to skin a cat though.

Vman

Post by Vman » Fri May 09, 2014 8:16 am

Rick, if you have pigeons, and homers are best of course, I will assume he will chase the pigeon if you drop it in front of him here, let him chase one or two and get good and lathered up and excited about it. Then put a stake out in the ground and attach your check cord to it. Give pooch maybe 5ft. of slack in the cord and drop a pigeon. He will break and hit the end of the CC. Then do it again, after several of these drops hew will stand and watch the pigeon fly away. No command, this is between him the bird and the CC. Once he is not hitting the end of his CC move to a different location in the yard. More than likely you can now stand on the CC and drop pigeons and he will not chase them. He is learning that if he has the CC on he cannot chase and you are in control. If everything goes well above and he has been introduced to gunfire, you can now drop and fire the blank gun. Praise him when he stands well. Move around and do it all over again. This method works very well, but when you move to gamebirds you may very well may need to do it again with your gamebirds. I usually do this in the field that way you can reuse the gamebirds. Once he is not chasing and you can blank without him hitting the cord, bring in the pointed bird and have someone stand on the cord or use a helper stake. He points you go in and flush and blank. He may very well break but the CC will stop him just like in the yard. Put him back. You are only overlaying what he has already learned in the yard. He cannot chase even if he points the bird. Then Whoa break the dog.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri May 09, 2014 2:35 pm

Tip him upside down with a check cord giving a double tweet on the whistle when you do. Once he's solid on this, transition to the collar.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri May 09, 2014 3:21 pm

Are you trying to stir the pot again? :wink: :)

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Fri May 09, 2014 5:37 pm

Sharon wrote:Are you trying to stir the pot again? :wink: :)
How do you figure that? What better advice would you have than get the dog on a check cord and stop him from catching birds?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri May 09, 2014 5:46 pm

It was an inside joke . Sorry.

Waterdogs1

Post by Waterdogs1 » Sat May 10, 2014 8:53 am

Would using the collar without any formal training be bad? The dog chases and gets burnt and then has a association of the bird and bolt of lightening. The dog has no clue why he is getting burnt :?
http://cottonwoodretrievers.com/ "Our Passion is Retrievers"

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat May 10, 2014 10:55 am

I use the Rick Smith method..teaching to stop at the flank...once I have the dog where they will respond to the cue at the flank to stop...Then I go to the field and will work with the wind and wild flush birds I will allow the dog to commit to the chase and then cue him to stop if I need to dial up on stimulation I go to the level th r dog requires to apply the breaks and come to a stop always trying to use the lowest level first. I will keep on repeating this flush work until the dog stops to a wild flush every time on their own. At that point I will begin to work in to the wind so now when the dog makes game and is not handling it correctly I will launch the bird and if the dog commits to the chase I apply the breaks..repeating this process until the dog quits the chase ...my Bailey dog when she was a pup I never thought she was going to point took all summer but now on point she is solid
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.