Some questions on Teaching Sit, Stay, Whoa etc...

Mumpy

Some questions on Teaching Sit, Stay, Whoa etc...

Post by Mumpy » Thu May 01, 2014 11:43 am

New Member here and soon to be the proud owner of my very first Drahthaar (I pick him up on the 24th of May). In the early 90’s I owned a GSP and trained him to become a very good hunting dog for me. I have not owned or trained another one since. Back then there weren’t too many resources available outside of books in learning how to Train a Bird Dog. Now I am 25 years older and I have the Internet to help me research how to train my pup.

It’s funny because I read these discussions on how to do this and that and I remember back when I had my GSP and I was doing the complete opposite! With that said, this is why I am posting here, so I can get some clarity on what I USED to do and how I did it and what people are writing on how to do it. I just want to get off on the right foot with my new pup.

Sooooo, here goes.

1. When to teach Sit and Stay? I have always made that the first things I taught my dogs, now it seems that some Pointing breed owners don’t teach Sit until after they have introduced their dogs to birds? Is that the case?
2. Using the Wing and Feather. I can’t tell you how many times I used the Wing and Feather on my GSP. Probably 4 to 5 times a day from the day I got him at 8 weeks until he was like 4 months old. Now I’m reading where people say to never use the wing and feather. I used it on my GSP to work on his staunchness on point. So should I not even bother with this?
3. The Whoa command. Wow, was I getting this wrong or what? Back when I trained my GSP everytime he went on point I would softly and calmly say Whoooooooooa and start stroking his tail upward and giving him nudges forward to staunch him up. I did this from the time he was 8 weeks old until 2+ Years old. He was so conditioned to the word Whoa that if I just said the word he would lock up on point, foot tucked in and everything. So, with all of that said, when do I start teaching Whoa?

I plan on using my Drahthaar on Dove, Geese, Ducks, Quail, Woodcock and do a few Road trip hunts for Pheasant.

Thank you guys for your help, I’m so excited to be back into having a Bird Dog and plan on being a contributor to the boards as much as I can
Recognizing that I volunteered as a Ranger...

RichK

Re: Some questions on Teaching Sit, Stay, Whoa etc...

Post by RichK » Thu May 01, 2014 12:12 pm

Sit is one of the first things I am teaching the pup I just got. I know many people will say they don't teach it at this point or even ever to a pointing dog but for a versatile dog I find it a useful command for around the house and in the field.

I just started working with my 9 wk. old pup two days ago on sit. Each time she naturally sits, I will say sit and give her a treat. Yesterday, I did the same thing with her early in the day and later in the evening I practiced giving the command sit and then treated her. She picked up sit within two days, when using it in the house. We moved outside today with the command and she'll get it about 60% of the time.

*Note, I'm not an expert. I'm just telling you what is working for me currently.
Last edited by RichK on Thu May 01, 2014 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu May 01, 2014 2:26 pm

1. If the dog lives inthe house sit seems essential to me; I've never had that teaching affect a dog becoming staunch.

2. Don't bother- jmo.

3. Lots of ways to teach whoa. Get a good programme and follow it through.

Enjoy your dog. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu May 01, 2014 7:10 pm

Sharon wrote:1. If the dog lives inthe house sit seems essential to me; I've never had that teaching affect a dog becoming staunch.

2. Don't bother- jmo.

3. Lots of ways to teach whoa. Get a good programme and follow it through.

Enjoy your dog. :)
+1.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu May 01, 2014 9:46 pm

Don't get gung ho with a 9 week old puppy. It is just learning how to run and walk.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Fri May 02, 2014 9:18 pm

Non of my pointers who live in the house know sit.....they know go lay down, whoa and the fact the won't get attention unless the are calm , sit stand laying down what do I care. Never needed formal sit.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Sat May 03, 2014 8:15 am

Both our GSPs are in obedience & learned sit, come/here and other useful commands that keep them civilized. However, as some have already said, don't expect too much out of a 9-wk-old pup. At his age you're probably better off concentrating on housebreaking with a very small amount of obedience thrown in.
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

skeetermc

Post by skeetermc » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:57 pm

I am in the process of training my third GWP in a 10 years span and all three are very different in personality. I've learned in over 20 years of training roping horses and cow dogs that, what works for some doesn't work for all. That is true with my bird dogs too. What is important with a puppy is that they "learn how to learn". Sit is a simple thing for us to teach and for our pups to learn. Sit is a starting point to teach a dog what is right and what is not acceptable. Positive reinforcement with pressure on-pressure off builds the eagerness to please in the puppy. The pressure should not be phisical but rather mental and very light. I taught my first two to sit because they are part of the family and are in the house during the evening. But, when they felt pressure to hold whoa they would sit to release the pressure. I am using "down" this time around instead of sit and the same thing is happening with "down" that has happened with teaching the othe two to sit. They do what they know and look to find the easiest way to please me and relieve the pressure.
When I tell the pup whoa and it lays down I instantly give the "here"command to get her up and moving and then use "whoa" again. I repeat the drill, up down, up down, up down is the result until the pup stands at whoa antisapating the "here" command. Once the pup stands and stops, instantly lavish her with praise. Over the years I have incorporated using a clicker to instantly mark the behavior I am wanting. It took two short 5 minute training secssions for her to get it. Don't forget Voice inflection and your body language are very important.