Puppy training. Order of teaching commands.

12 Volt Man

Puppy training. Order of teaching commands.

Post by 12 Volt Man » Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:58 pm

Does anybody have a preference in what order commands are taught to a young pup?

So far I am working on getting my new pup to know his name. I have also started to work on "here". He is catching on already.

Let's hear what you guys teach and when.

dhondtm

Post by dhondtm » Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:52 pm

come/here is definitely the most important command. I like to teach them "stay" next. I find the earlier you work with stay the easier it is later to progress the stay command. Not sure what some folks feelings are about introducing stay instead of whoa at first or if some folks don't even introduce stay. To me they're two different commands. I use them in different situations with my dog. I also teach my dog wait as well, but not really as important as the other two. Lots of patience and keep it fun for the dog.

My definition/opinion of the three commands.
stay - (to completely hold your current position and do not move. Moving the head is fine.)
whoa - (to hold a point and stay in position, sitting is not exceptable when whoaing.) I try to only use whoa when bird training as well not to confuse the two.
wait - (do not advance, but they can sit stand whatever just as long as they do not advance there position.) I use this a lot when going outside I say wait at the door before I say the release command. I use it when cars drive by while walking. Everytime a car drives by I make them wait. My hopes here is to generate an awareness of the vehicles passing by and pause on there own in time.

I live in the city so these are the most important to me with all the traffic etc... If my dog is actually off leash in the front yard and I see a car I will tell her to "stay" instead of wait to let her know I really mean it. I've worked with my neighbor across the street with this quite often as they have a lab she likes to play with and it is a great distraction to work with and keeps her from darting across the street unless I say it is ok.

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:06 pm

The name is the very first thing I teach new pups. And then probably next comes "NO!" Followed by Come, Fetch, Give and so on. As they get older, I teach Whoa.